430 or 458 | FerrariChat

430 or 458

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by syata, May 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I am thinking to purchase either a 430 convertible or 458 spider by the end of the year. My budget is $200k but not set in stone. I would like one with low mileage.

Given the two choices what are things to watch out for (I know they both may have sticky button issues). Any pros and cons of each and which would you recommend.

Thanks.

Sent from my HD1925 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I don't own either but this is a no brainer UNLESS you must have 3 pedals. No offense to any 430 owners but the 458 was a huge advancement in almost every respect. The 458 is the car I'm targeting when I can justify the expense.

GT

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you can spend about 100-120 and get a decent 430, or 130-160 to get a decent 458.
    at the narrow end of those ranges, its worth making the jump to a 458.

but for 100k the 430 is hard to beat.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #4 ginoBBi512, May 5, 2021
    Last edited: May 5, 2021
    430 Manual, or save your money and buy a 488 GTB, thats the only way your going to have any fun with paddle shifted car. 458 is a beautiful car, it would just get boring in my estimation. The 488 is a much better car, and the Turbo will help you compensate for it being paddle shifted, which without, would also become quite boring.

Thank you

FerrariFR33458 likes this.
  5. velocegiallo

velocegiallo Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2017
    California
    There is a great old Top Gear where Jeremy drives a newly released 458 and compares it to to James’s personal 430. Find it on YouTube. That video may help you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

VAF84 likes this.
  6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    458 (drive first as I found I didn’t like it)....I wouldn’t buy a single clutch transmission at this point. Either manual or dual clutch.

7. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Great video, but also made me feel bad about my F430, lol!

OP, I've driven both, while owning the F430. All I can say is that while owning the F430, I don't "need" the 458 so I may or may not upgrade, but I do still want one. However, at the time I was not in a position to buy the 458, and it sounds like you are.

If money is no issue I would definitely go with the 458. If you plan to daily drive it, I would also be more apt to go with the 458. Both will provide you an awesome driving experience, but the 458 is insane on the upper part of the rev band, just more docile in the lower bands. I guess at lower speeds the F430 feels more special than the 458, but hitting the limiter in the 458 is at a different level.

I think your answer is pretty clear though, 458, unless you have a strong "practical" side that wants to save some money.

8. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I have owned both. Hard to go wrong. What made me switch from 430 to 458 was the single clutch vs. dual clutch. Big difference and worth the price gap alone.

9. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Thank you for your input. I watched the Jeremy Clarkson video and that from the normal guy/supercar. Great information. I am leaning towards the 458 now.

10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I own a gated 430 spider. I have asked myself the same question about a 458 spider, I know 458s pretty well.

458: better interior, faster, more stable at high speed, more modern, better ride. But...

430: it's a manual. If that matters, and it does to me, it's a deal breaker, but there are lots of manual cars. 430 is also more raw, more exciting at lower speed, where the 458 is so competent it tends to the boring when you are not pushing it. On a good day country drive, roof down, gated 430 is for me more fun, with more feedback and more thrill, than 458. On a track, or in town, or cruising, 458 is much better.

so for my purposes, I stick to my gated 430 as I simply can't think of a better Ferrari for the use. But, it's subjective, and I think more people would prefer 458 more of the time.

if I had a 458, I would drive it and enjoy it more frequently than I do my gated 430, but I would never have quite as much fun.

If you are comparing two pedal cars, I think the pendulum swings more to the 458, though if you want thrills there's the Scuderia.

no bad choice whichever way you go. Also with 458 you benefit from better build quality, more options, and it just feels a lot newer and more comfortable. 430 is based on 360 which is a 90s car. Brilliant car, but can't hide that.

11. Bigfisher89

Bigfisher89 Karting

May 24, 2017
    I had a 430 spider and loved it! I sold it a few months ago and bought a 458 spider. The 430 is a more raw experience, especially at lower speeds, and with an after market Fab speed Silencer (the OEM one died) the sound of the engine at red line is simply insane. The 458 is indeed a more refined car however it is still a blast on race mode - in my opinion the sound of the 430 at red line is more visceral than the 458 at red line but it's close. I am very happy with the 458 because it is docile and easy to live with when you want it to be but when you don't want it to be it will still light your hair on fire.

12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    the 458 is leaps and bounds a better driving car than the 430. Without a doubt... It is absolutely reflected in the price. That's why it's nearly double the money. It is nearly double the car.

13. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    I started shopping for a 430/458 spider back in February.

Both are absolutely incredible cars. Some thoughts from my test drives.

430 Spider
    -Last true analog mid engine v8, interior lacks tech but that's not necessarily a bad thing, the buttons and dials all feel like a classic Ferrari
    -The single clutch "pops" - there's a slight delay between shifts and it's a pretty awesome feeling to get that kick once the clutch reengages
    -Feels a bit underpowered compared to most modern sports cars and the 458
    -Exterior feels a bit dated compared to 458/488/F8 that all share a similar design
    -Soft top is ugly, but the glass view of engine is amazing

458 Spider
    -Perfectly strikes the balance of analog/classic and digital/ modern. Modern screens but analog tach and all major controls are still buttons/dials
    -Last naturally aspirated mid engine V8
    -The dual clutch is so smooth, almost too smooth. I sort of preferred the kick from the single clutch, but ultimately the quick shifts are king
    -Perfect amount of power for the road, you can still put the pedal to the floor in most situations unlike the 488/F8
    -Exterior design still looks modern, most people assume its a new car
    -Hard top is gorgeous, lacks glass view of engine

I settled on the 458 but you really can't go wrong with either. Mine is a weekend car but we plan to do some long trips up the California coast, so the slightly more comfortable 458 was worth it. Plus, the 430 was uber rare with heated seats, and my wife really, really wanted those. So I let her talk me into the 458 ;)

14. cy0811

cy0811 Rookie

Feb 7, 2004
    458...but the price difference is quite substantial currently.

the F430 is really great/raw and to me still looks pretty modern with a hint of traditional F-car roots...but I just had to have the 458 spider after driving both extensively.

technom3 likes this.
  15. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    I ended up purchasing a 2007 F430 spider from an F-chat member. Bought the car and put 500 plus miles on the drive home. Awesome car and lots of power for me. Man, what a difference from my 328 and Mondial.
    Thanks for all of your input.

16. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    do you have either 458 or 488?

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #17 TheMayor, Jul 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    I had both. A 2008 F430 spider and a 2013 458 spider.

Honestly, you really can't go wrong with either.

The F430 spider is still one of my favorite cars. But the 458 is much more sophisticated, faster, with an amazing engine that will blow your mind at 9000 rpm.

The F430 spider seems more analog. The 458 is more digital but more user friendly.

The F430 spider seems more like "a convertible" when you sit in it but the 458 spider hard top roof is really great and will last forever. F430 spider hydraulics have been known to fail.

The F430 spider is fun to drive but the 458 spider has things like magnetic shocks that you can adjust for "bump roads"

The F430 spider has almost no infortainment electronics at all (even the radio is pretty crappy) while the 458 spider can at least connect to an Iphone (if it came with the cable) and most came with Satellite radio.

The F430 spider F1 gearbox has real emotion. You can hear the gears slamming back there. The 458 spider gearbox is more digital but needs no clutch ever.

Prior to 2008 F430 spiders did not come with Carbon Ceramic brakes unless it was optioned. Few were. All 458's did. CCB's brake better under stress, but are more expensive to replace.

To me the F430 spider is one of those cars that was the end of one world while the 458 the beginning of another.

If I were looking for an F430 spider it would be MY 2008+. They seem to be the most sorted out after 3 years of production.

Texas Forever and IloveGT like this.
  18. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #18 ginoBBi512, Jul 3, 2021
    No I dont, but that doesnt matter, paddle shifted cars are boring and sterile , adding a turbo will make them more fun, same as a screaming V12 , 810 HP 812 Superfast, the exhaust note will make it much less boring. I dont care what anyone says, you can tell me all of your reasons, its all BS, you wonder why lots of guys with these cars are always trading ,or selling them, before they even learn how to drive them,or they crash them, its that simple. The only advantage using paddles, is that you can left foot brake, and go even faster around corners. Im not taking away from a 458, its just that a 488 will be less boring to drive, with turbo assisted full throttle upshifts, which 99 % of owners will never experience, they will sell their 488 first. If you can afford a 458, you can afford a 488, its also better looking.I will not forget reading waht a UK journo said about the 458, " its way to bad Ferrari did not offer it in a gated 6 speed " God darn right I say. Ferrari used to be the best driving machine in the world, Im not sure where it stacks up now, what I can say, is I would bet you the average time of owner ship of a gated Ferrari, is 10 times the amount of a paddle shifted model.

Thank you

19. mattexplore

mattexplore Rookie

Mar 1, 2021
    Prescott, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Matthew Scott
    To paraphrase the above “I want to interject my opinion despite having no relevant experience to bring to the discussion”

Moving on.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    #20 IloveGT, Jul 3, 2021
    Well said. Thus his opinion cannot be supported or substantiated. It is just conjecture.
    I don't like taco. Okay, but have you ever tried one before? no.
    I never bash Tesla, why, because I never drove one before, so I kept my mouth shut.
    I never had experiences with 430, so I kept my mouth shut.
    On the side note, you do know 812 is NA engine right? and you also do know that the GPF requirements are making some 812 owner less happy with the softer exhaust note, right?

Reacherman1022 and cy0811 like this.
  21. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #21 ginoBBi512, Jul 3, 2021
    No kidding, I dont know what exhaust your talking about, I happen to hear an 812 screaming down the 101 going the opposite way, over my music playing, so in place of the boring paddles, you get to hear the V12 full song, dont get mad, its what it is, I dont have to drive one to what I am talking about, enjoy your cars , you will be selling them before you know it, dont worry about their value lol , its a machine , not a stock . If i had and 812 with the softer note, I would change that right quick. Paddle shifted cars are boring as it is, go for the turbo, or the V12 , its that simple. My SV4S is fast as hell, the most fun I have on it, and it has all the electrics, is when I do full throttle up shifts with the quick shifter, other wise my Monsters are more fun, the V4 is quite sterile, but it sounds just like a 488 GTB, when in QS mode. I use the clutch without the quick shifter 95 % of the time, its no different than a 2 peddle exotic when straight up and not at 45 degrees of lean angle Maybe you guys should watch Moto Techniques EVO program 308 You Tube Video, then you will see what a real driving machine is all about, Tesla , are you kidding me ? lol goof grief. I would take that car over a 488 / 458 everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. The times sure are a changing. Maybe you guys will be real happy when your cars drive themselves." oooh the technology, we love it , its whats new, its the best, its all electric too !!! " Dont the slot cars do that now already ?

Thank you

22. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

For putting 10k on the exhaust on my ff I find all those new exhaust OVER Rated.
    My ff sounded crazy nice and loud but it revs so fast and accelerated so quickly that you can not enjoy it .
    I take my flat 12 testarossa and 355 over an 812 any day as far as quality of the sound and enjoyment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I hear what your saying, I was just lucky enough to hear this 812, with the driver putting his foot to the floor, that never happens at all for the most part, to me it sounded so insane !!

Thank you

24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    When you know what you like, you don't have to explain.

Reacherman1022 and ginoBBi512 like this.
  25. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Awesome, enjoy your new 430! Yeah, it's a huge leap in performance from a 328 or Mondial...enjoy.

Reacherman1022 and TexasVince like this.