430 Intake Prancing Horse Badge Removal | FerrariChat

430 Intake Prancing Horse Badge Removal

Discussion in '360/430' started by fossilfuel, Nov 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fossilfuel

fossilfuel Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    Hi Guys (and Gals),

Maybe a dumb/easy question (and I searched to no avail): My prancing horse shield on my intake is faded/cracked. I tried tugging on it, it didn't budge----so I thought I'd ask the forum before I tried prying it off..... how does it come off?

Thanks in advance.

-mark (aka fossilfuel)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    R u sure it is not part of the casting ?

3. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    #3 Drestless, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    or maybe screwed from the inside like the fender shields?

I'm just guessing but any stickers should be easy to remove unless their screwed.

So if it wouldn't pry off easy then I wouldn't force it, it's either screwed or it's part of the upper intake manifold.

4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
  5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    it looks like its a separate part

6. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    That's cool. At least that answers the question if it's part of the plenum cover or not. The next question is, is it screwed? This one will be easily answered by trying. If it it doesn't pry out easy then it's screwed.

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

JRE likes this.
  8. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    highly unlikely there are any through fasteners that would be at risk of coming loose and entering the engine. Daniel's post (with diagram link) kind of shows that to be true. Press fit would be my bet too.

9. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    I looked into this a while back because I want to replace with the factory CF one that Ricambi has. Hey Ricambi, do you have a picture of the back of the CF replacement? I thought it attached from underneath also until I saw the picture above which is encouraging!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Ricambi America likes this.
  11. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    That's surprising to me. If it were me I'd use a small amount of silicone to hold it in place. Will withstand heat and no chance of fasteners coming loose.

12. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I presume the CF one is screwed on b/c it wouldn't withstand the pressure necessary for pressfit without breaking/cracking ? (just a guess).

13. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Hey OP, sorry for stealing the thread. I will try to get my emblem off next week after the concours this weekend so I can help with your original question. Curious to hear back from Ricambi on this. They have the carbon version 218327 listed on their site as fitting the regular F430 (https://www.ricambiamerica.com/218327-cf-plenum-cover-f430.html) but Eurospares has it only fitting the Scuderia and 16M. Those cars have completely different intake plenums made of carbon fiber which doesn't have the three cast "holes" to receive the stock red emblem like the regular aluminum plenum does. It doesn't appear that the carbon emblem 218327 can be used on the regular F430. I think this is what I concluded last time I looked into this so I just moved on but I did see a regular F430 coupe listed for sale on here one time that had the carbon emblem and I've wanted change mine ever since. Anyway, I hope Ricambi can answer this for us and I will try to get you an answer to your original question next week. Cheers.

14. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the reply. Here is the Scud/16M plenum with the two holes on there to screw the carbon emblem on. Looking for a picture of the regular aluminium
    plenum without the emblem to see what we are looking at. It's possible that it has both mounting options.

15. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #15 mkzhang, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Here is the regular 430 intake plenum when I had it off to be repainted

16. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

The carbon cavallino does not easily fit the aluminum plenum.

Aluminum plenum has its own p/n for use with aluminum emblem; carbon plenum has its own p/n for use with carbon emblem.

17. fossilfuel

fossilfuel Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    .....wow, that looks like an ugly job. SO, how did the Prancing Horse badge come off??? Was it glued, screwed, pressure fitted, or other???

Thanks!

ps---how did the finished product come out?

Btw, my thought was to pull the badge off, strip it and paint it wrinkle black (since I heard the red was hard to match) and very light sand the paint off of raised top of the horse and edge, to have them shiny against the crinkle black.

18. fossilfuel

fossilfuel Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Mark H

Looks like those studs and nuts just hold the chrome horse onto the carbon shield....? The shield itself, I now believe has some glue or other adhesive holding it to the plenum.....???

19. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think it is just press fitted (I didn't do the removal, but just judging from my pic and pic of the badge's reverse side that has been posted). I guess you just have to pry it out. The finished product came out beautiful, stirs my heart each time I look at it :)

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  20. fossilfuel

fossilfuel Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    Wow! Looks great! Stirs my heart just looking at the picture :)

21. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    wow beautiful job! Nice

22. fossilfuel

fossilfuel Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    So I tried to pry the badge off with a nylon trim tool. I didn't want to get overly aggressive and potentially scratch the actual manifold.....but I put enough leverage on there that if it were held with double-sided tape or silicone it should have come loose. It didn't. So.... still looking for someone who has actually dealt with this....how is the badge attached and how does it come off???

Thanks!!

-mark

23. JJIndy

JJIndy Rookie

Apr 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    JJ Escue
    So does anyone know exactly how to remove the engine badge and what sealant (or whatever) to use to secure a new one? Daniel Pass of Ricambi states, "the majority of the plate is held in plate with a bead of sealant rather than mechanical means like a clip or speed-nut on the underside". Thanks.

24. Jon Mercurio

Jon Mercurio Rookie

Jan 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Mercurio
    Looks Beautiful!! Who did the refinish for you and how much did it cost? I asked the dealer if they sold touch up paint which they said they do however they recommend refinishing the whole thing (stripped and repainted as you did here) Dealer said best to do when the major service is being done as they will be removing the covers at that point. Dealer quoted roughly $1500.00 to strip and refinish.

25. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    I took mine off when I removed the wrinkle paint. The wrinkle paint had some scratches when I got the car, and couldn't be repaired to my specs. I used a small flat blade screwdriver and pried it up and off. Looked like it was held on by 3M double sided tape.