360 - 430 Exhaust on 360 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 430 Exhaust on 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by LP360, Apr 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LP360

LP360 Karting

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    This is what I did with my exhaust, when it arrived it had a huge dent on the top and needed to be sorted along with some other small dents, Although it was a big pain grinding all the weld off to get the outer skin off and have it re welded. Still isn't perfect afterwards but sure is a hell of a lot better.

My tail pipes are at the welders but unsure when I'll get them back. can't wait fit it once complete :)

2. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Did you and spider have to lengthen the pipes (front to back) in order to use the 430 tips? I'll find out when I go to shorten the pipes left/right, but seems like they may end up not long enough to poke out the bumper?

Other update, I got the exhaust out of the car and also drained the transmission fluid. The 360 silencer is SO heavy, I guess it's around 35-40lb? Significant weight reductions.

Would someone with the regular 360 exhaust tips measure how far the tips stick out from the black mesh grill? I forgot to measure this and I want to try to maintain the same distance when I modify the 430 pipes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Don't forget to post a video!

4. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Nothing is square so reference only.
    Inner pipe tips 3"+-
    Outer pipe tips 3 1/2"+-
    From lower mesh roughly on tip centerline.

5. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    The bolt is a 8mm 1.25 pitch. Check out mcmaster car if you want to save on bolts compared to oem Ferrari bolts witch are a joke in price.

6. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Lots of progress today.
    • Assembly jig based on the 360 system was finished last night (3d printed plugs and wood)
    • Went to a local muffler shop (world of mufflers) this morning and had the 430 pipes cut and then couplers and elbows made. He flared ends to make other pipe slip fit.
    • Went back home and cut all the pipes to proper length to fit the assembly jig
    • Tacked welds with the help of my friend
    • Checked fitment of the system on the car (had to remove airbox covers to drop the 430 silencer in)
    Need to tweak the left side tips a little bit, but everything fits relatively well and we should be done early next week! I like the look of the 430 tips and it sounds amazing. The damaged silencer works fine and I may keep that in there for a while until I can find a good replacement.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

brookliner7 likes this.
  7. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Wow man great work! Sound clip to share?

8. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
  9. LP360

LP360 Karting

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #34 LP360, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    This is my jig setup for the conversion. Also one thing to note that when I placed the 430 exhaust on the jig to see the size difference is that where they meet the cats they're not flush on the jig like on the old setup as you can see from the pics it sitting up about an inch or 2 from the jig due to a slight bend in the tail pipes. After I measured everything I cut the bends out on the tail pipes (close to the valve) so it would sit flush on the jig. I purchased the exhaust from a 430 spider so unsure if the coupe exhaust is the same or slight different?

I have cut the tips off mine as they were pretty much knackered and ordered some that are close to the CS type. Will post pics when I get the tail pipes back as they're still at the weld shop and don't know when I'll get them back, hopefully soon!

Once complete I'll post a video of mine

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I like your idea of building the jig flat on the ground and cutting the pipe off so the 430 system will sit flat. I built my jig so that both systems could "float". This was a bit challenging and I supported the cat-pipe with blocks of wood and plywood so the system would line up roughly where the blue plugs were. This also made using the jig difficult because my plugs had to be removed and reassembled in order to take the 360 system off the jig and put the 430 onto it. However, the final result is almost perfect alignment so I'm pretty happy!

Cold start and some short 3-4k revs here.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CBZlYNTgLjW/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

benporter and LP360 like this.
  11. LP360

LP360 Karting

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee

That vid sounds awesome and makes me want to have mine installed even more now! Just a waiting game for me atm. :(

12. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Yeah it sounds like a beast with the valves open. I connected the vacuum lines with some longer silicone tubing. Sounds nice and quiet with valves closed for "don't piss off the neighborhood" mode. I purchased the kit from Steve on this forum to have open, closed, and normal remotely controlled. I think that is going to be amazing with the 430 exhaust.

13. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Looks really good

14. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Project is finished! The exhaust sounds amazing, this is what I had dreamed my Ferrai would sound like. I also installed the Forza Componenti 3way switch from Steve.

A few tips for installing the bumper and liners:
    1. While installing the bumper, fasten the two nuts on the far left and right of the vehicle first. Fasten the 4 bolt pattern toward the middle, last. This helps with alignment.
    2. When you go to slide the bumper onto the car, it's okay if all of the metal sleeves fall out of position. You can put them back later. As you slide the bumper in, you will need to lift the rubber blocks up, over the lip that is 2cm above the exhaust tips. You can lift the blocks by putting your fingers through the opening where the tips stick out. After many practice runs, I learned to install the bumper without any assistance.
    3. If your outer tip pipes bend too far toward the front of the vehicle, the will rub on the wheel well liner. One of mine rubs a little bit but has already resolved itself.
    Exhaust Alignment
    1. Install the mounting bracket to the transmission bracket first. Get the bracket level to the car using a bubble leveler. Torque the four fasteners holding the brackets together.
    2. Install the exhaust pipes one at a time. Torque the torca clamps first to hold the tips roughly in place. The clamps should hold the weight of the tips by themselves, if they do not, the clamp is not in the correct position and may need to be re-seated. I noticed the clamp one one of my tips had actually been modified so it could "grab" the pipe easier. Basically the wedge on the inside of the clamp was cut in half. Clever modification. The torca clamps were probably spec'd for larger pipes and these pipes are on the small side of the workable range. On the other, unmodified clamp, I sprayed it with WD40 and it worked as intended. Without lube, it would not tighten the pipes even up to 60ft-lb of torque on the nut.
    3. Loosely fasten the nuts holding the 90deg brackets to the center bracket
    4. Drop the silencer in from the top. You'll need to position the studs below to line up, which is why you need to leave nuts loose in the previous steps. You may need to loosen the torca clamps as well. In order to install the silencer, the airfilter covers have to be removed.
    5. Measure tip position, hand tighten fasteners, measure again, torque everything down. Proper tip position measurements are below
    Tip Position Measurements
    1. Inner tip extension to the black rivet nearby on the top surface of the heat shield = 3.5". You'll see it, it's a small black dot nearby visible when you're looking down at things.
    2. Inner and outer tip vertical gap to the black sheet metal part above the heat shield = 2cm (this also gives you a 2cm gap to the top of the bumper opening). If your outer tips are sitting lower than the inner tips, you need to rotate your pipes by loosening the torca clamp and rotating the pipe assembly. This rotation requires you to loosen all other fasteners to the silencer and exhaust bracket as well.
    3. Inner pipe centerline to centerline of the nearby metal sleeve = 10-15mm. If you're in this range, you'll be good. If you're below 10mm, the inner pipe will have a very small gap to the bumper opening. I found 10-15mm to be good after fitting the bumper 3-4 times, loosening fasteners on the exhaust and repositioning every time.

I'll post some photos later to help illustrate.

15. LP360

LP360 Karting

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Finally got my tail pipes back from welding, test fitted in the jig to double check nothing has moved and all is good! Fits perfectly!

Now on to the tips, done a school error on the tips and should of measured twice before purchasing some as they don't fit! Doh! This is a shame as they're similar style to the CS type. So back to the drawing board and I've ordered 2 different style tips that I'm trialing and should fit. Then I can pick which one has the best fit, looks good and order another 3 of the same tips to finish the job. Will update once complete.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Keep up the good work LP360!

17. LP360

LP360 Karting

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Update, the tips are a right PITA. If mine weren't is such a sorry state I would of definitely left them on. Anyways I managed to source a nice aluminium tip. Fits perfect, a lot of measuring later to get within the jig, marked up and they are being welded on tomorrow.

All being well my exhaust should be on this weekend, weather permitted.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Those tips look great

19. LP360

LP360 Karting

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    The exhaust is finally on, and... oh my god the sound is awesome! Haven't smiled and laughed so much since the day I brought the car!

Video will follow when I stop driving it lol

brookliner7 likes this.
  20. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Yeah it sounds amazing. I put Fabspeed headers on and now I’m the sound shifted to a lower pitch and is a lot louder. IMO, sounds worse, but now I don’t have to worry about pre cat failures and the power delivery feels better.

brookliner7 and LP360 like this.
  21. ElectricFerrari

BANNED

Jul 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Electric
    they fit, but you need to cut the pipes. i know someone that did it and then both some CS style tips and changed them from th e430 ones ...it looked and sounded exactly like a cs system

22. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Have you thought of making or having made a stainless cover for it? Any competent metal fab shop could make it pretty simply. Weld a few stand offs onto the muffler, add a few roll beads and and polish it out and it would look like a heat shield. just a thought.

23. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I installed a different 430 silencer yesterday. No more dents! =). If anyone wants to buy a dented, but perfectly functional silencer, please PM me.

24. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    After seeing this thinking of getting rid of the Tubi and installing a 430 exhaust.

25. LP360

LP360 Karting

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee

I've never had any other exhaust on my 360 so I can't compare. If you do decide to get the 430 exhaust just be prepared to make a jig and have the pipes cut and welded. It takes time to make so you have to be patient and not rush the job, however the end results are epic!! I love the noise my only regret is that I should of done it sooner! :D