42181 for sale | Page 2 | FerrariChat

42181 for sale

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by judge4re, Nov 6, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    The car looks pretty, and at that price, it might be worth a look. Best to whoever buys it!

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #27 samsaprunoff, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day Guys,

I see that 42181 is till for sale as of March 11,2011

I have copied some info here for documentation purposes:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/2260124289.html

Mileage: 50,148
    Price: $23,888
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Lars Theunissen

Lars Theunissen F1 Veteran

Mar 2, 2005
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars Theunissen
    This car used to be Marrone (brown), so at least the colour is not original.

Ciao,

Lars T.

4. Flinch

Flinch Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2009
    Holland and Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter El Cheapo
    the same for the interior. I have never seen this colour. Especially with the center console and dash in the same colour. Really hiddious are the feet print on the dash at the passenger side.

Imho this car was in the wrong hands and had a very bad "upgrade" with all the wrong parts, colour schemes, cheap paint job with pounds of filler etc.

5. Flat_Twelve

Flat_Twelve Karting

Dec 28, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Jay, I believe you have seen this one in person. Can you add some 'real-world' commentary on it?

Cheers,
    Neil

6. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Wow i do not recall a cheap paint job with lbs of filler- I recall it looking pretty damned good- interior was a bit old with some mismatching of colors and some staining- i figured parts had been dyed- If I remember the carpets were brown and a bit old.

My big issue was the car didn't really drive great- I was trying to figure out a budget for bushings and tie rod ends and tires and the like- interior work etc. I did not get a PPI but if I remember there was at least one PPI on this car and it's still for sale- So a call to the local repair guys might unearth some info.

It's priced right and if you're not looking for a perfect example I would imagine you could drive it as is for pretty short money. My buddy lives like 1/2 mile from this place- I stumbled upon it by accident last year- this was actually the first 400 i ever drove and I remember thinking-
    V-12 my &ss, my rental Chevy Cruze blows the doors off this thing." Then of course I drove one in proper tune and it was a very different experience.

If you're gonna drive this thing call ahead- when I walked in cold they had no intention of firing it up for me.... I could send my friend over to take a bunch of better photos if anyone needs- He's right around the corner from the car.

7. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Back in September 2001 it was reported to have won a silver award at the Concorso Italiano, with 54,000 miles and owned by an Arthur LeMay. It was red/tan at that time.

8. Flat_Twelve

Flat_Twelve Karting

Dec 28, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
  9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #34 samsaprunoff, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
    Good day Neil,

Given that you live in Calgary, why don't you check out that 412 (Chassis 66557) that has been for sale for the last few years:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Ferrari/412/CALGARY/Alberta/5_3347415_20070221112858031/

Barret Jackson 2004 Info

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=771&aid=48&pop=0

I believe that you are looking for a 400 series, but given that this car is local to you it may be of interest... As for their price... remember that they had the car listed for around $34K CAN a while back... given that the car has been for sale for over 2+ years I don't see how raising the price to over $50K+ is going to help...

Cheers,

Sam

10. Flat_Twelve

Flat_Twelve Karting

Dec 28, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Hi Sam,

You know, that's not a bad idea. Thanks for the suggestion. Thanks also for the Barrett Jackson link.

And you're right, I remember when the price went back up. It appears that the market has not yet followed...

Cheers
    Neil

11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Neil,

You are welcome!

As for their price... They used to lower it to around $33K/$34K at the end of season, then raise it to over $50K at the start. However, last year they did not follow this pattern... That being said, they were "eager" to sell at $33K/$34K at one point and so perhaps now they may be more so?

If you do check out the car, perhaps report back on the outcome.

Cheers,

Sam

12. Flat_Twelve

Flat_Twelve Karting

Dec 28, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Hi Sam,

Now that we have some decent-ish weather here, I'll pop over to have a look at it this week and post my thoughts.

Cheers
    Neil

13. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Neil,

Sounds good... even here in Edm the weather was a lot more Spring link... finally!

Also, I do not think that the car is actually there and so you may need to call ahead ... just to be sure.

Have fun!

Cheers,

Sam

14. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    I kinda like that 400i that's for sale at emotors... it seems this thread is talking about a couple of different cars, so I want to be sure - the 400i that is for sale at emotors... is this the one that has a bad interior, and non-original paint colour?

Is this the same one that ran badly when f-chat user "full-garage" drove it?

15. Flat_Twelve

Flat_Twelve Karting

Dec 28, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    That's right, it is the eMotors car. And you are correct on all points. It also has a lot of non-standard interior and exterior parts, as well as a questionable odometer.

I was interested in it at first as well, as it is a really nice looking car for what appears to be a great price, but I'm looking for something a little less questionable. It seems to me to be a bit of an onion - lots of layers, each producing more tears.

But as Jay (full-garage) said, for the guy who wants to buy it at a great price and put some money and effort into it, it seems like it could be quite a nice car.

Cheers
    Neil

16. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg

So, considering all that, it's really about a $16k-$18k car at this point, yes? Again, referring to the emotors one, to be specific.

17. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I think low $20s is fair- I mean- how cheap can a nice looking, RUNNING ferrari get?? Really it is a presentable car-

18. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Just adding doc...Chassis 42181 is now on BaT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-ferrari-400-4/

Cheers,

Sam