412 Exhaust Replacement | Page 2 | FerrariChat

412 Exhaust Replacement

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by tobeaferrari, May 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Aren't the cats installed in the #1 position of the 3 mid/center section? Did you remove the other 2 mid/center section mufflers?

With originality in the equation...Ansa's your only move :D
    If not, here's another one to consider:

Ferrari 400 GT and 400i - Stainless Steel Exhaust (1977-85) - QuickSilver Exhaust Systems

2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Ok here is my take on the straight pipes for the center section. I have these on my car. It sounds great but does get a little loud after a while (a couple of hours or so). As far as performance I think it is a mixed bag. My car has carbs so there can be some drive ability issues with carbs. My engine pulls really strong up to 3000. Then from 3000-4500 the engine just does not pull as hard. Once above 4500 it really pulls hard. I have done some reading on this and this is what I have come up with, please remember I'm not claiming to be any kind of expert.

The original center section in addition to the mufflers also has an "H" pipe between the two pipes, this is located in or right next to the front muffler. If you look at typical dual exhaust systems they have an H or X pipe connecting the two pipes together, this helps each side scavange the other side and this helps with midrange torque (3000-4500). If you follow the following link Carabou Engineering talks about this on a 365 GTC4 that they built. Keep in mind the 365 GTC4 is pretty much identical to our cars. They said with the X pipe configuration it made a small differance at red line but it added 45 ft lbs of torque in the midrange. I'm planning on doing this to my car in the near future. I don't know if this will help my car in the 3000-4500 range or not but I think it might.

365 C4 Project Pg. 2

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
  4. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    As you have seen there is no consensus.

I put in Timevalve's and they sound like this:
    <https://youtu.be/eoquUZ2qGpI>
    <https://youtu.be/10LJ6bH0Dzs>
    <https://youtu.be/6WjSyImCFsw>
    If these links fail to work they are operable on page 1 #10.

The Timevalves are well made, they fit and I am happy with the result.

Greg

5. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    Greg,
    I have decided to replace the conglomeration of parts on my 400i Automatic with the Timevalve system. Can you tell me what additional parts you had to source to complete the project. I will consult with them before having the system shipped but I will also need the balance pipes from the headers to the front mufflers, I guess I'm hoping they can include those parts with the system. At least I don't need cats.
    I thought it would be worthwhile to hear from someone that has done their system recently.
    David

6. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Call Timevalve and chat about the hardware details.
    The only other thing I needed were the sealing gaskets from the headers to the new cats I added. They are standard parts that any muffler shot would stock.
    Greg

7. ONSilver

ONSilver Karting

May 26, 2008
    Oakville, Ontario
    #32 ONSilver, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As I wrote earlier, I'd like to use the Timevalve stainless system to replace the original system ( not bad as it has lasted 30 years!).

Finally after the snow here, had the chance yesterday to put the 412 on a hoist and check. The 412 uses dual rounded cans on each side. The 400i uses "flat" cans.

The question is will the 400i Timevalve design, using 400i "flat" cans, fit and replace the dual rounded cans of the 412 design.

Does anyone know if there's enough clearance to mount the "flat" 400i style instead of the rounded cans? I believe the extra "bleed pipes" from the headers into the front can, can be blocked or eliminated - the 400i shows them, the 412 design does not.

See the schematics courtesy of Ricambi....

Thanks for your input! Oliver
    Image Unavailable, Please Login