412 5 speed for sale | FerrariChat

412 5 speed for sale

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Il Tifoso, Nov 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Hi all,

I got this in my email inbox (have never heard of this dealer, much less subscribed to receive their marketing), but it looks like they have a wonderful manual 86 manual 412 available.

http://farlandcars.com/cars/1986-ferrari-412-gt?utm_campaign=Biweekly%20Emails&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=58927645&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8NbIbXtl2H15b5v9jI2XwHUI982SdIBxXG67KEfX2R3HlJR3aOz2Kh1SYbeMCuYtzOVZjCzTKsOPnBquHlX5l2HuT9jg&_hsmi=58927645

The VIN number isn’t specified but it looks super nice. Does anybody recognize this car?

They’re asking $120K, which seems a tad higher than I would have thought, but this is indeed a unicorn. No mention of CA BAR sticker, so I’m guessing it doesn’t have it.

Cheers,

Ruben

2. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Hi Ruben
    It's 66889, as I mentioned last time you flagged it in July... ;)
    David

Il Tifoso likes this.
  3. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Doh, sorry David - I clearly have the long term memory of a gnat!

Oh, look, there’s another pretty 365/400/412! Have you guys seen this one?!?!? LOL

Ruben

Cdcasarella likes this.
  4. PetMar

PetMar Rookie

Aug 31, 2018
    Izegem, Belgium, Europe
    Full Name:
    Marrannes Peter
    Hi Ruben,

Quite a price, but seems to been a premium car. A level one, concours worthy. And a manual. 4 Years ago, I wanted to buy a manual 412. Now since a few weeks I bought an auto 412. Price was more then doubled. Vin: ZFFYD24B00059361 The first owner picked it up at Maranello and brought it to CA. The car stayed in US till 2012, if I am right. Then it was exported to Holland, and now since a few weeks, the car found its new home in Belgium.

Peter

5. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Congrats Peter on your 412!
    It is a 1985, one of the first produced. If you could share the engine number (should be in the warranty/service book but also on the block near the scuttle) and the 4 digit number stamped on the inside edge of the bonnet (left hand side, near the middle, also on the rear bootlid but right hand side) I should be able to deduce where it sits in the production run.
    cheers David

6. PetMar

PetMar Rookie

Aug 31, 2018
    Izegem, Belgium, Europe
    Full Name:
    Marrannes Peter

Hi David,

Stockholm my God. I was there in the summer of 2016. What a splendid city!

From the taxation report, I could understand the engine number is *00022*, which should confirm that the engine is the original one.
    The car was released from the factory 20 dec 1985. It came into circulation somewhere in may 1986.

I have lots of pics I can share, if you want.

If ever you have some info about the car, feel free to let me know.

Greetings,

Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Hi Peter,
    I agree the engine *00022* is original to your car. I have quite a lot of data on it - maybe nothing you don't have, but I'll organise my files and send you a PM. Meanwhile here's a picture from around 1989/90 during Jean-Paul Montupet's custodianship, Cheers David Image Unavailable, Please Login
    View attachment 2597593

8. PetMar

PetMar Rookie

Aug 31, 2018
    Izegem, Belgium, Europe
    Full Name:
    Marrannes Peter

Hi David,

Your picture comes from the Ferrari Owners Club Yearbook. I have the 1991 edition and it is still in it.

On 21 august 1992 the car was auctioned (Rick Cole Auctions) at $90K, mileage 22504 (Source: SCM Platinum Database)
    I don't know what happend afterwards, cuze on 17 januari 1993 The Chequered Flag, Santa Monica sells the car to Guy Gorelik, Santa Monica, mileage 22930

On 19 march 1994, Mashimo Yukitata becomes the 4th owner. He was at that time the Japan Music Agency director and producer of the band X Japan
    On 20 may 2001, he takes it to a Concours d'Elegance at FCA South West Region in Palos Verdes. Together with his 1992 Mondial T. (Source: FCA site, Barcetta, internet)
    In 2011 the car is given in consignment at MDR Automotive Group, Marina Del Ray. On 21august 2011 MDR sells the car trough e-bay to Frank van Geldern, Holland. Mileage is then 32529.
    From 1986 to 2011, the car had the same and unique license plate 3CWA753

Frank has driven de car for some 2K miles. He took it to The Gallery Aaldering, in Brummen. So that is wher I bought the car. It was deliverd on 18 june 2016, all ready to go.

So, this is the info about the car, I have.

Everything you can add, would be very welcome.

See you, Peter

9. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Hello Peter
    Seems you also like researching histories and we've used many of the same sources.
    I've organised my data in the attached word document View attachment 2597899 and also complemented it with the history you have provided. As you say, the history is complete and all owners are known, which is quite unusual for these 30 + year old cars.
    One question - when was the warranty book issued, and were any dealers involved (I understand the first owner collected it from the factory, but sometimes US dealers are also noted in the warranty book). I also attach a pic to show where the 4 digit assembly number is on the left of the inside of the front bonnet (should be "14XX").
    cheers David
    PS Happy to pull together similar histories for this forum.

Attached Files:

10. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
  11. PetMar

PetMar Rookie

Aug 31, 2018
    Izegem, Belgium, Europe
    Full Name:
    Marrannes Peter

Hi David,

Thanks for your document. I wonder how you do it.

To be totally honest with you……… I got these papers from the former owner, Frank. I only had to add the last line.:)

I will have a look for the assembly number during the weekend. Hope I will be able to read it, cuze for sure, the car had more then one respray. Hope it isn't coverd with paint to much.

Also, I will take some shots of the warranty/service book.

See you in a few days.

Peter

12. PetMar

PetMar Rookie

Aug 31, 2018
    Izegem, Belgium, Europe
    Full Name:
    Marrannes Peter
  13. PetMar

PetMar Rookie

Aug 31, 2018
    Izegem, Belgium, Europe
    Full Name:
    Marrannes Peter
  14. PetMar

PetMar Rookie

Aug 31, 2018
    Izegem, Belgium, Europe
    Full Name:
    Marrannes Peter
  15. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Hello Peter
    Thank you for digging out that paperwork and taking a picture of the assembly number.
    Everything i've seen supports the history that you were provided. The first owner did indeed collect it straight from the factory..
    The bonnet number means firstly that the bonnet is original to the car, which is a good thing of course. Secondly it means your car should be 412 #19 - a very early one as already noted.
    Enjoy it!
    David

16. PetMar

PetMar Rookie

Aug 31, 2018
    Izegem, Belgium, Europe
    Full Name:
    Marrannes Peter

Hi David,

How are you doing?

The number on the bonnet was 1459. Therefore I presume my car is the 59th 412, instead of #19. Or am I missing something?

Yesterday I brought the car to a tire center. I had the feeling, there was too much vibrations in the car. From 120 km/h up and very prominent once over 150 km/h. I expected a problem with the rear tires. And indeed the left tire was 75 gr out of balance. They had to turn the tire over the rim for many degrees, maybe 90° or more. There was still a little imbalance, but this could be solved with some weights. The result is perfect now. I had the opportunity to take a shot of the rear suspension.

See you,

Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Hello Peter
    Glad you solved the vibrations - and are driving it at a decent speed!
    It's a complicated code regarding the bonnet numbers, but I believe the (LHD) 412 started from 1441, that's why yours is the 19th. However I would need more data points to be certain.
    cheers David

18. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
  19. PetMar

PetMar Rookie

Aug 31, 2018
    Izegem, Belgium, Europe
    Full Name:
    Marrannes Peter
    Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

This article is about everything I could find about Morton LLoyd Viner myself. Also that he died on a tenniscourt. But thanks anyway.

In my reply to David on Sept 10, there is a picture of the warranty card, filled in by hand with his name and signature.

He was the agent (Mister 10%) of many actors. Among them was Shirley MacLaine. She is a Ferrari lover as well. At least, in the sixties
    In the museum in Modena last summer, there was a picture from 1964 with her sitting in a Ferrari 250 California.

I tried to contact her through facebook, with the question what kind of person Morton was, and if she ever sat in Morton's car.
    I saw one more little article about Morton, where she stated they were close friends.

But since she is at the maximum of followers, I even wasn't able to ask her. Pity.

See ya,

Peter

20. Mistico

Mistico Rookie

Oct 14, 2012
  21. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Welcome Mistico,
    It looks clean and correct to me but I'm no expert on the mechanical side. Check the datecode on the TRX tyres in case they are old.
    Original stereo and correct period toolkit are a plus but the books shown in the advert are not correct - they are for a carb 400 and 365, and maybe the warranty book is missing.
    Engine number should be in the 3XX range and bonnet/boot number in the 6XX range if you want to check they are original.
    Regards David

22. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Self leveler do seem ok, which is a plus. Check if the valve were recently adjusted (less than 15.000km), look at how much room you have for adjusting the tension of the chain, and validate that all the recommended lube job have been performed as per the owner's manual (including rear axle and the horn!). Take the car for a ride and listen for bushing noise. Finally check for rust around the windscreen and headlamps.

Owner manual can be downloaded in the "Ferrari 400 register" website.

If the car has not seen the road for a while be prepaired for quite a bit of maintenance to fix all the gremlins, but once they are operated on a regular basis they are reliable.

Almost forgot : ask for a brand new battery, and go for the largest that can fit in the bay!

Hope this helps.