40557 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bilodeaulynn, Feb 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #26 brettski, Mar 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    some first pics...briefly, the good news is it in great condition, lazer straight, good to very good paint (not original-grigio was). really amazing body and the interior is reconditionable with some elbow grease and some hide food. there were some really nice extras i was not expecting, like 2 complete sets of valve covers, factory parts manual reprinted service manual, jack roll and jack, safety triangle, perfect spare w/TRX and more... glass and chrome are very nice, rubber is very good and the block and heads are beautiful (must be new valves, i mean MUST be, they're perfect).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rebirthauto

rebirthauto Karting

Mar 25, 2007
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Sebastien
    This looks great, and you have another one to pattern your work against. Best of luck on the rebuild, and nice shop BTW.

3. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #28 brettski, Mar 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    the bad news is there are more parts missing than i was told, the bumpers are dinged, and the silencers are rotted. i have easily sourced, or in some cases already have, the missing parts but i've been told by the seller that there must be box "around here somewhere" so that may be rectified. sorry about the pics, i'm exhausted, i'll come through with better one's soon.

4. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    thanks buddy, good night.

5. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Brett,

Nice heads! There's a win!

What do you plan to do for the exhaust? Ansa is quite pricy.

Regards,

Art S.

6. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    i agree there!! those look amazing..p.s. your doing great on the pics also...we LOVE PICS!!! good luck brett!!

7. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Brett, Looks like fun, I really mean that. To bring something back to life and I am sure in excelent shape will be fun. Be careful you do not fall for this one to, How many four seater's can one have?

8. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    the car already has nice set of 4 custom center sections (this thing is gonna sound fantastic). they just need to be cleaned up and painted.
    therefore, i was going to get a new pair of Ansa rear silencers. that shouldn't be to bad...should it ? i'll find out today !
    by the way, while the block isn't as shiny as the heads, it also looks outstanding. gonna start on building the engine stand today.

9. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    um, i dunno...4 ?
    i'm not keeping all of these cars, as you know. all however, will be returned to a respetable level of glory. some will be sold to make way for others.
    it will be hard not fall for the 'stick', though.

10. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal
    Hi,
    I had seen this car on ebay some months ago. Ended Jan-17-08 04:23:59 PST, reserve not met $ 12.100. I dont' feel skilled enough to go for such a project but I was definitely tempted.
    Did you have any explanation why the owner ordered a probably costly engine makeover and then decided to sell the car as a puzzle at scrap value ? Good luck in your project and keep us informed. Should you sell the car, keep me in touch.
    Olivier

11. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    at this point i can definitely say the car will be for sale. however, i paid more than $ 12.100, there were lots of parts missing that i have to buy, and there is a ton of work ahead of me. therefore, this car will eventually sell for what these cars should sell for.
    a completely sorted, no rust, 5-speed with an as new V-12...this car will have it's day, of that i have no doubt, but it will be in the $40 000 range, or more if somebody wanted new paint and leather.
    thanks for the well wishes. i will keep the group updated on the progress via this thread.

12. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Brett,

The rear pipes for my 330 are about $1,500 (maybe a little cheaper depending on availibility). Let me know how you make out.

Also, can you list what is missing at this time?

Regards,

Art S.

13. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It will of course depend on the market when it is all finished up, but I would say that in todays market even with all the work you are putting into it without new paint and leather there is about 0 chance of selling it for anything in the $40k range... Just my thoughts based on what I am looking at right now with the market. Of course that whole 5spd thing in your car should really add, so it may well be that I am off base on this...

I hope I have a nice 400i Auto when you are ready to sell this one and that you get ALL THE MONEY for it!

Best,
    James
    Austin, TX

14. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    James,

A year ago 250 GTEs were sub $100K cars, now several have sold for more than $200k.

There is a 400 out there that I know of that I would probobly pay $40k for if it was up for sale today (but it is a car that I would buy to keep, long term).

Regards,

Art S.

15. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Picking the right Ferrari can really pay off in the good times. Buy it right and you will never have to loose a penny on it and you might even make some money as you have noted! I hope I choose wisely!

James

16. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    we shall see, but trust me when i tell that the gulf that exists between U.S. and Canadian prices is W I D E ...
    i have no concern that this car will fetch $40 000 in Canada when i'm ready to sell. it only takes one forward thinking buyer and he's out there looking for me. i know it.
    good luck with your seach james.

p.s. as food for thought ...2-valve 308 gts i's trade regularly for $40-50k plus up here.

17. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Brett,

Sorry about that, I didn't notice that you were up in the great white north! You are of course QUITE RIGHT and I stand (errrr....SIT???? In my case anyway) corrected!

Best,
    James

18. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    :D
    I get it.
    Dry humor, I love it!
    Wonder how many others will

19. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    James,

Get one of those stair climbing wheelchairs and you can stand as well ;)

Regards,

Art S.

20. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You know those things are cool, but they cost about $30k for the stair climber. They make other chairs that actually hold your knees in place and will physically stand you up and some even have ways to make them mobile even when you are in the standing position. Very cool. Still expensive stuff. The other problem with either of those chairs is the are VERY HEAVY and in the case of the iBot Chair you would have to have a converted van with a lift or a ramp. Great fun driving a VAN...NOT!!!

My chair is a Ti Lite and weighs in about 18#! NICE! It does not fold up tight enough to fit in a 355 though. I have another chair that I could probably fit into that car, but it would just be me and the chair. I could get at least 2 other people and me in a 400 along WITH my wheelchair! NICE!

Thanks guys for getting it! :)

James

21. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    James,

The thing I liked about the iBot is that it can bring the occupant to eye level by raising itself up - generally a very cool machine to have around the house if you are in need. That said, I remember prefering a sporty manual model when I was riding around in one (but I was mostly stuck in the standard hospital issue tanks).

Regards,

Art S.

22. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    James,

I also use a power-chair, for "walkin' around." I have a Quantum, a big heavy brute, 450lbs., that the experts, outfitted for me, that cost almost $25000.00. Yup, crazy, the price of these beasts. It's in the SHOP, again, after a $5000.00 service and rebuild. that took three months. Electrical and a sensor switch, this time. But I love it as much as if it was a Ferrari. When you need something like this to get around a bit. But, very impractical to transport, because of their weight and size. Can't take it with me, when I drive, on occasion. I leave it parked next to my car. I have to revert to a manual-folding conventional chair, that one cost about $950.00, at the time. Weighs @60lbs. As I've declined, it's harder to lift it into and out of the trunk, of the cars. I must use one arm, as I hold myself up, with the other, to lift the chair, into the trunk, and use a strong walker, and my upper body strength, to keep from keeling over. It gets interesting at times, doesn't it?

I've looked at the 400s, for the same reason, a trunk and a passenger or two. I need to look at a lighter chair for the car rides.

Good Luck, in your search of a 400i, and Good Luck to you. :)

Ciao...Paolo

23. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Paolo,

Look into the Quickie Revolutions. They are not real light but they fold up VERY NICELY! SUPER for traveling. Don't get me wrong, they are MUCH lighter than your iron maiden, but they are not 18# like my Ti Sport! I have two of them. They each live in one of the Porsche's so I can leave my everyday chair right where it is in the garage and thus that is one bit of shoulder trauma I don't have to endure an extra time.

Art, I like that aspect of the iBot too. I have never used one, but if you are sitting and have some 6'+ guy come stand RIGHT NEXT TO YOU and talk to you it SUCKS! Get a major crick in the neck. I can always tell the people who are used to and comfortable around wheelchairs...they kneel down to talk to you! I LOVE THAT! So much easier on me and it really is no big deal for most AB's (that is Able Bodies, for those of you not used to disability speak).

Thanks guys for the support and well wishes in my 400 search...I'll find a good one towards the end of the year when I have full funds to pay cash (or close to it) for the right car!

Best,
    James

24. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    James,

Thanks for the Quickie Revolutions, advice.

These days, this is as close as I'll get to a Quickie! :)

Ciao...Paolo