400iA running like crap! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

400iA running like crap!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 400iGuy, Mar 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Is the timing set incorrectly? Might not even be the advance.

2. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I removed and installed the cap about 10 times in a couple of week period so I got it down pat. Use a 1/4" drive socket set. I have long sockets for my set but short sockets and a short extension might do okay too. Be sure to get the socket size correct on the easy one at about 8 o'clock from right side of car. After that it is EASY! Less than five minutes in and out. You can feel your way to bolt cap but can get fooled by putting in wrong gap between wires.
    Ken

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Check the fuel pump relays. Better yet, just replace them.

4. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    #29 400iGuy, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I got some time to work on the problem with my 400iA and I've made some progress. I did manage to get the distributor cap off and it has a large crack in it (see photos). The red arrow points to where it was arcing. I haven't figured out what all the junk is thats stuck on the inside of the cap.

To get it out I had to do a few things first. Remove the rearmost throttle linkage (see photo). Disconnect the wiper at the motor. Remove all the spark plug wires and coil wire. After that I was able to get a screwdriver on the distributor cap screw nearest the firewall. Also,the So I'm looking for a new distributor cap, the rotor is OK. The advance mechanism is bound up so I'm going to work on freeing that up and lubricating it. Next on the list is to check the plug wires resistance and replace any of them (or all of them) as necessary.

I owe a big thanks to Tim Stanford who's kept in touch and provided directions that enabled me to get this far. That might be because he doesn't want my 400 to show up in a truck. LOL.

I might get her back on the road in the near future. At least I hope so.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. kaiser

kaiser Karting

Dec 17, 2011
    johannesburg
    Hamfisted fitting, it looks to me.

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    One of the reasons why professional maintenance on these cars can be expensive is because there is always something in the way of whatever you want to service that needs to be removed first. It is pretty crowded in that engine compartment.

7. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    From the looks of the inside of the distributor cap you may want to inspect all of the advance mechanism, due to what appears to be corrosion (rust).
    I didn't price the cap and rotor but it probably is, as all Ferrari parts, quite expensive.
    Removing components to get at what needs fixing is just a way to separate the enthusiasts from the owners.

8. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    It also is just a way to separate the owners and enthusiasts from their money! :D

9. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    I agree about the rust. That has to be addressed. Also, why so much rust. Was it just the crack in the cap that allowed moisture in or something else?

I have a cap on the way...$700+. Good thing the rotor is OK.

Probably going to need spark plug wires. The ones on the car are CAVIS 7mm and have 400 on them. I don't know if the 400 is for the car or for some other reason.

10. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    LOL So true.

11. kaiser

kaiser Karting

Dec 17, 2011
    johannesburg
    With the price of the cap, the "400" is most likely the price of each lead!
    I think there might be a Jaguar V12 cap that will fit. Maybe less costly?

12. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Actually, TRutlands has the complete set for USD$390. shown as 2 sets (1-6 & 7-12) @ $195 ea.
    Ferrari Ignition - T. Rutlands

Go for it, I'd like to see a comparable cap!

13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    NAPA sells a 6 cylinder universal set for around $25.00. They are 7mm and have the boot attached. The other end is unfinished and you can easily cut them to the desired length. I've used these for several years with good results on my car. They are their top of the line 7mm wires and are dark blue.

14. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    I worked on a BB512 many years ago that kept getting moisture in the cap. I found the seal on the cam shaft had failed allowing the crankcase ventilation to suck air/moisture through the distributor.

Cheers Al

15. kaiser

kaiser Karting

Dec 17, 2011
    johannesburg
  16. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    When you look at the distributor cap in the attachment, note that the center carbon contact is jammed in the cap. As the rotor has a fixed flat surface for contact, the center carbon should be spring loaded to maintain continuous connection. If it does not, the ignition system is "looking" at much higher resistance and more voltage needed to complete the circuit from the coil to the spark plug ground. This causes the system to look for a "shorter" path to ground with less resistance resulting in miss fires.
    Every place in the circuit, the wires, the cap terminals, the cap contacts, the rotor, and the plugs add more "work" for the system as in higher firing voltage and increased current draw. The point is to make sure all contacts in the distributor and rotor have crisp clean sharp surface edges, no pitting, rounding, or corrosion, for maximum performance and longer plug life.

17. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    I finally got the 400iA running correctly again. YEA! All it took was a new distributor cap ($$$), new plug wires (more $$$), new spark plugs and cleaning and lubricating the advance mechanism. The rotor was in great shape, I just cleaned it up a bit. The new plug wires came from T. Rutlands and they are a perfect replacement. It took a little patience to figure out how to get at the distributor cap and once you do it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

18. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I'm amazed that PLUG WIRES are $500 for these cars. I mean really. It's the same wire that every other car uses, just cut and terminated to the proper length.

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well not really. They are the correct color and resistance rating with the correct boots and the correct grommets and white silicone sleeving with the correct mounting brackets.

Some of that is very hard to find and important to people and if you make your own and by the time you find it all you wish you had just spent the $500.
    And if you place any value at all on your time you are far better off just paying the $500

For everyone else there is Kragens.

20. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Absolutely correct!!! And the correct 7mm vs. standard 8mm. Well worth the $$

21. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Really guys? That justifies $500? Come on. There is nothing special about the 7mm proper resistance wire. There is nothing special about the boots. My point is, people are making some SERIOUS profit margin on these simply because they are for a Ferrari V12. The almost identical Jag V12 wire set is $150-250 depending on source and if for the Marelli ignition or earlier.

Anyway....I mean, I get it..these are Ferraris. But some things, my god...are just silly. And spark plug wires are one of those items.

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #47 Rifledriver, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
    So go to Kragens. It's OK with us.

I have made a lot of correct looking wire sets and have boxes full of the stuff left over. I know exactly what it takes.

Don't know about you but I place a value on my time.