400iA daily driver | Page 3 | FerrariChat

400iA daily driver

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by markcF355, Sep 30, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Now this is what this Board is about!...Awesome work!

2. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I have Farmers for my 1972 Lotus. It's agreed value, collector's, BUT it says I can use the car for "occasional" use for any purpose except racing. It's a really good deal IMO and only about $100 a year more than Hagerty was which had many more restrictions.

Ken

3. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    #53 400iGuy, Oct 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is awsome. I'm going to look for Merc accumulators tomorrow. Did the fittings for the hydraulic lines fit? After installing the new accumulators did you bleed the system per the factory manual?

I found a website with the following: http://www.drivewire.com/mercedesparts/catalog/mercedes500slbrakemastercylinder.html
    Corteco/Freudenberg Accumulator - Accumulator Air Cell Rear : left & right
    Mercedes Benz 500SL Accumulator DW803690407L
    Application: Accumulator Air Cell Rear : left & right Fits: 01/1993 - 12/1993 Mercedes Benz 500SL
    Brand: Corteco/Freudenberg

Does this sound right?

Thanks,
    Al
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thats the accumulator I used, however there are two issues that make me suggest you investigate using another one. First, the port on the top is 16mm with a 1.5mm thread pitch. The banjo bolt on the 400 is 10mm with a 1mm thread pitch so I had to make an adapter as I couldn't find one off the shelf (the silver thing in my photos). You might find a unit with the right port from BMW or elsewhere. Both of the MB units also have a side port that needs to be plugged (no biggie, it's a 10mm x 1mm pitch). The second issue is the mounting bracket. I fab'ed one out of sheet stainless. It work well, but it took some time to make. As an alternative, any accumulator of the same size with around 160 BAR of pressure should work. I'll look around and post my findings.

jbp likes this.
  5. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    O.K. is it time for a new ruler or new meds? I just measured a rim off the 400 and it looks like it has a -10mm offset. With the rim laying on the ground, inside down, I measured 100mm between the ground and the mounting face. I then measured 110mm down from the top or outside rim to the mounting face. This gives a negative offset of -10mm. Am I correct?

6. dr.mike

dr.mike Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Adams
    #56 dr.mike, Nov 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are a few shots of the rebuilt 400i load levelers from Tho @ PT Engineering.

This one needed to have the body replaced because I guessed wrong about which end I should open to find out what was inside:)

Tho is replacing the original ( leaky ) single rubber u-cup seals with double spring-loaded teflon seal-paks. Although they should last forever now, they are threaded together. So, in the future, they can be rebuilt without machining.

Oh, BTW I flubbed the phone number last time, incase anyone else wants this done. Tho's number is (714) 850-1266 ( not 1226 like I wrote last time ).

jbp likes this.
  7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, for those measurements it's half of that since the definition of "offset" is from the wheel center plane to the mounting plane -- i.e., (100-110)/2 = -5 mm offset

8. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks.
    I have rims that I’ll fit to the car with the help of some really thick adapters. I’m going to try it simply because I have the rims.

The rims are 17” x 8” with a huge positive offset. Because of the way the newer rubber sits on the rim, I’m shooting for the factory offset. I hope rubbing won’t be a problem.

Even though the rims are an inch wider, the tread width is 8” just like the TRXs.

If I go hubcentric in and out and use tapered lugs I think I’ll be O.K.

Well as O.K. as I can be :)

9. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Well, I looked at a couple of options and I think these are as good as any. If anybody wants the brackets or top adapters, let me know.

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Understood (and you probably don't have any other real option since, like you noted, virually all modern wheels have relatively huge "+" offsets). Going up 1" in width will probably work out OK when keeping the tire/wheel centerline in the same place -- when people try to go up 2", the inner rim of the wheel usually interfers with the suspension bits. Have a look under the car and just visualize moving the inner wheel rim inboard by the 1/2" to check.

BTW, nice work/posts on getting the rear suspension sorted -- very informative.

11. derek_oc

derek_oc Rookie

Nov 14, 2006
    Does anyone have access or know of any used Ferrari parts dealer who may have a front windshield for 400I Spyder convertible?

Call feel free to email me anytime at [email protected] or contact Derek at cell# (714) 883-6000.

12. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I saw this at Ferrari UK:

Part selected: 257-40-004-10
    (this part supersedes other parts)
    Full description: 412 FRONT WINDSCREEN CLEAR ONLY
    Unit Price: £298.20 (GBP)

This part supersedes:
    95408556, 255-40-004-00, 257-40-004-00

Hope it works for you.

13. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    marcF355,

I finally got around to installing the same accumulators on my 400iA that you used. I made my own brackes and adapters. It's a little tight getting my fat hands up in there to attach the banjo fitting on the top but other that it was straight forward and now it rides great! I was very concerned I was going to have to replace the rear shocks to solve this problem.

Thanks a lot for posting your info.

Al

14. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Great! Its amazing how different the ride is with the system working.
    Also, did you run the car up and down to purge the air?

15. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    I haven't purged the system yet. I've done that in the past. When I got the car the fluid looked like it had air in it so I flushed it all out. I wanted to drive it some and make sure I didn't have any leaks anywhere. That will be the project for this weekend.

It sure is nice to have it riding correctly again :eek:)

16. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Does anybody know the correct idle speed and timing advance settings for a 85' 400i ?

I have the service manual, but I can't find the value for the idle.

As for the advance curve, the table on page D2 in the service manual says: 8 deg @ idle and 30 deg @ 5000 rpm but the graph on page D4 shows 5 deg 30 min @ 850 rpm (idle?) and 13 deg 30 min @ 3250 rpm.

My gut says the table is correct since it agrees with the marks on the fly wheel.

The graph is for setting the curve on a distributor machine but why would it be different? Does it have something to do with the 2 deg 30 min advance of the reluctor?

I removed the timing weights and blocked the distributor so its fixed and am adding a MSD 8981 timing unit to the MSD 6200. I was going to go distributor less, but I'll save that project for latter.

17. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Just wondering. I've been looking at cars recently, driven a couple Maserati Coupes and I just can't decide if I like them that much. The 456 is really out of my price range, and I have always loved the sharp looks of the 400 series.

So how's she doing? I'm thinking if I can find a nice sorted one that I can have a lot of fun with it. And the auto wouldn't be so bad in Atlanta traffic. Speaking of traffic, anyone have overheating problems in a warm climate like the SE US?

Mark

18. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    When I had mine I never had trouble in August in Houston. Just double check that all 3 fans operate. Lots of 400's have 1 that is inop.

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Alex, you haven't had any rust issues using the car in NY winters?