400iA daily driver | Page 2 | FerrariChat

400iA daily driver

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by markcF355, Sep 30, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Art:

This is all true fora normal car but NOT true in the case of an MSD equipped 400i. :) The running with the ignition off is totally normal in one of these cars - it is because their is a large capacitor inside the MSD ignition box which can run the engine for several seconds. Mine (#049773) takes 4 or 5 seconds to shut off. Mark is correct that you can speed the process by introducing a current draw - mine stops when the door opens and triggers the dome light.

Mark: You can prove this to yourself by simply waiting for it to shut off rather than turning on an electrical device that will drain the capacitor and shut it off. Should only have to wait 4 or 6 seconds, but it feels like much longer. :)

Alex

Alex

2. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Ahhh - right - thanks for the clarification. I was confusing the earlier system on my 365gt (#13141) with the later system on my 400i (049773) - sorry, please disregard my previous advise which regards the earlier system. You are correct in your assesment of the problem, then, to - have you tried ferrari uk for the accumulator? They may have it.

Oh, and see my previous post on the running when off - typical MSD behavior, but it only last a few (scary) seconds.

Alex

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Alex,

That's amazing! Didn't they put some sort of blead on the MSD unit? Still doesn't sound right to me and I'm involved in ignition design.

Regards,

Art S.

4. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Art - I am NOT involved in ignition design! :) I am not saying it is RIGHT, just that I have been around many MDS equipped 400s, and they all do this. Go figure....

Alex

5. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Just now, I went outside to see the part number on the MSD unit and I found that the ground wire was loose in the crimped connector. I'll look more into this tomorrow.

6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Alex,

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just amazed by this. If it is the way it is supposed to function, to me it's poor design and a possible safety/liability issue.

Mark,

A poor ground would make sense, let us know if it works correctly once fixed.

Regards,

Art S.

7. dr.mike

dr.mike Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Adams
    I have taken apart the shock/levelers from the 84 and later 400s. The set where all 4 shocks have hydraulic lines connected. These have in internal damping mechanism based on a piston and 2-way reed valves. They were trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone I guess. They do have a rather poor main seal design.

There is a good machinist in Orange county, CA who can rebuild them if yours are leaking ( and it seems most are ) with new Teflon seals.

Tho Nguyen at P.T. Engineering
    (714) 850-1226

8. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    So far: The reconnected ground wire had little effect on the ignition problem. I'm going to add a small bleed off resistor to the ignition switch input and see if that helps. As far as the accumulators, I've settled on a Mercedes unit that seems similar to the Ferrari one. Mercedes has two variants, one with an easily adaptable mounting bracket but two large of an overall height, the other is more of a challenge to mount but I think it's the one to use.

9. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al

Tho, Do you think if a seal was leaking the leveling side of the unit could pump fluid (ATF fluid) into the shock absorber itself causing it to have very little movement?

I live in Orange County but unfortunately the one in Florida and not CA :eek:)

Thanks,
    Al

10. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al

Tho, Do you think if a seal was leaking the leveling side of the unit could pump fluid (ATF fluid) into the shock absorber itself causing it to have very little movement?

I live in Orange County but unfortunately the one in Florida and not CA :eek:)

Thanks,
    Al

11. dr.mike

dr.mike Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Laguna Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Adams
    I'm not Tho :) He is the machinist. I just posted his info incase anyone wanted to get their shocks rebuilt.

But, I was just at his shop today. I should have taken a picture of the disassembled units.

These shocks are designed to completely fill with ATF. They have about 1.5 - 1.6 square inches of lifting surface between the 4 units. I forget the operating pressure of the system. If its like others, it is about 600psi. That would yeild about 900 - 1000lbs of lift max. Plus the installed height pressure of the coil over springs.

If your car is not raising up, it could be the level control valve. You can losen and adjust the arm on the shaft to set the height. ( under the gas tank ).

If it were leaking so badly that i would not lift, it would be spraying ATF everywhere.

12. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Dr. Mike, Sorry about the name. I was in a hurry and clearly didn't read your note as carefully as I should have. *<:eek:)

They pump up just as they always have. They just ride very hard. I've bled the system and adjusted the height per the manual (after the problem started not before!).

Thanks,
    Al

13. Dave46

Dave46 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2006
    Central Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Davison
    Congrats on the Black beauty as a daily driver. The more I see of this model the better I like it.

14. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I like it too, and wouldn't mind at all having the 400i auto model to drive daily.

My early 330 2+2 is essentially an antique, a 1950's Ferrari in 1960's bodywork, and I can't even get "driver" insurance for it.

15. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Scott,

My car is not registered as an antique. If you want to use it regularly, try State Farm for the insurance (though I'd prefer Hagarty).

Regards,

Art S.

16. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Last night about 11 or so I finished putting in the new Mercedes accumulators. I can't believe the difference, the car went from riding like a coal cart to gliding like a slick European sedan. I'll post some pics later. The best part is the cost: $250 plus a few hours of my labor.

17. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    That's great news! Could you post the part number so that I can have it on hand for future reference?

Thanks

John

18. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    That's great news. Looking forward to part numbres and installation photos. I would much rather give this a try before taking the shocks out and trying to get them rebuilt.

Al

19. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Art...I know...my two regular drivers are insured with SF, but here in TX they increased the agreed-value premiums drastically for the classics and sports cars that they will insure...and they won't write coverage at all for my 330, even regular-driver coverage with no agreed value. It's off the charts with them and I suspect the potential cost of stolen parts replacement or even minor collision repair in a non-totaled accident situation has scared them away from cars like mine, and TX law doesn't require ins. cos. to insure everything.

I've been with Hagerty for four years now and am happy with them, other than the gray areas in their use restrictions. Premiums are very reasonable for the coverage: top-limits liability, and agreed-value that they have never declined an increase request on. Mileage I have no prob with...I think I get 2K a year, and after four full years on the road will have done 5K or so.

I'm afraid I would run into the same insurance problems with a 400i or other low-production post-1975 Ferrari.

20. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave

Hagerty had no problem insuring my 1980 400i in Houston.

21. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Is that for collector-car or daily-driver coverage?

22. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Collector

23. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That's my point...getting a decent collector policy is no prob, but I'd guess that Texas State Farm wouldn't write you regular-driver or agreed-value coverage for the 400i.

24. jes-13

jes-13 Karting

Jun 9, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    We got a standard policy from State Farm in California. It's not an agreed-value policy, but the value they came up with seems to match the high side of what they are selling for...

25. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #50 markcF355, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well its been a few days now and the accumulators are working perfectly. I used a Mercedes part but any 155 to 165 BAR accumulator will work. They all seem to be made by a company called Corteco. Also, the running on problem was fixed by adding a diode to the excitation input at each alternator. This blocks the phantom voltage from keeping the MSD ignition module active. My list is getting shorter by the day. The next issue is the power steering. I'm not sure if its the pump or the box...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

jbp likes this.