400i Wanna Be | FerrariChat

400i Wanna Be

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by ed_and_tonny, Aug 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ed_and_tonny

ed_and_tonny Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed Quillian
    Hi, I'm new to the forum. I'm currently in the process of sorting out and deciding between several available 400i's. I've had pseudo exotics in the past (Fiat Dino Coupe - 68, Maserti BiTurbo Spyder - '87, other British and Italian sports cars) and plan on using the car a daily driver and week end getaway car. We live in St Petersburg Fla so winter is pretty much non-existent. Would love to get some feedback from any and all on the practicality (or not) of the 400i as a daily driver.
    thanks
    ed

2. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    You could use it every day, but in Florida you'll fry in the summer. From my experience in New Orleans, the a/c just isn't up to the task. That aside, the car's motor is well-tried and reliable. You're going to have fixable issues and it's going to be in the shop some each year, most likely, but I think the car was made to be a daily driver.
    What do the rest of you think, was the 400 made to be a daily driver?

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Alex Leventhal uses his daily in NY city year round. Search for the thread describing his experiences in this section. He has the advantage of having a good mechanic.

Regards,

Art S.

4. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    if you keep up with the maintainence a 400 makes a really good useable car, no real problems as long as you buy a good one that doesnt need body / suspension / exhaust work

5. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    #5 aleventhal, Aug 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 400i (#49773) is a daily driver in the truest sense of the word: I use it for TRANSPORTATION as opposed to as a hobby. If it breaks, I walk (well, at least in the winter when the other Ferraris don't come out). It is as reliable as any car I have ever owned - including the 2004 A8l that I bought brand new, and which it replaced.

For daily use in Florida, you must buy a late production 400i with dual ac. The late production (83/84/85) cars moved the ac vents to the center console from the top of the dash. This couple with the dual ac option yeilds ac cold enough to "freeze the nuts off a brass monkey" as Mike Sheehan would say.

Other than that, I think you just need a good mechanic (in FL Tim Stanford is apparently the man) and a car that was well cared for before you. These are real tough cars, but the wrong guy can f up anything.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Alex
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Alex:

How about some pics of the 400 in winter, covered with snow and salt residue?

That's one thing I don't miss about Chicago... :)

7. ed_and_tonny

ed_and_tonny Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed Quillian
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like this is definitely doable. We have Ferrari service in Tampa and here in St Pete we have Franco the Italian genius who does them all. I'm pretty good myself with the basics having done most of the routine maintenance on the Maserati (would you believe I had to remove the radiator to get the oil filter out ?). All the vehicles I'm looking at are 83 or 84. Was the dual AC on all those or just selective ones?

8. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    dual ac was an extra cost option - generally fitted on cars destined for the middle east and other warm climates. NOT on all cars.

9. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    #9 aleventhal, Aug 4, 2006
  10. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    My '80 has dual a/c, but my vents are above the dash, pointing at the red-hot windshield. Having the vents in the dash, blowing in your face, would likely make a considerable difference.

11. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Alex,

I love the deposits on the snow! I remember you telling us about them but I had forgotten until you reposted the pics.

Best Regards,

Art S.

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #12 dstacy, Aug 5, 2006
  13. ed_and_tonny

ed_and_tonny Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed Quillian
    I was just going thru the various pictures and description of the 400i 's I have been considering. There appears to be variations in the exhaust configurations between the cars. I realize some may have had replacement or upgrades added, but what was the original basic configuration? 2 mufflers each side about mid-cabin or 4 total, 2 mid-cabin and 2 more muffers/resonators near the tail pieces?
    thanks
    ed

14. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    The exhaust comprises of:

2 manifolds per side (one per 3 cylinders)leadng to
    2 balancer pipes per side
    1 center section per side consisting of Two seperate silencers/mufflers which are welded together
    2 tail pipes each side with a built in resonator

all in the exhaust system comprises a total of 14 seperate pieces

15. riverman

riverman Rookie

Aug 8, 2006
    lexington ky
    Full Name:
    daniel gallagher
    I also am looking for a nice 400 in the lexington ky area. Anybody know where a nearby one is for sale?? Also cant find someone to service them in lexington area. Closest found is 150 miles in ohio?
    All help appreciated!

16. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Try Drew Doukas or Bruce Domek in Louisville for servicing a 400.
    Drew is the owner of Evolution Autosports and Bruce is the owner of...I can't remember the name of his shop......but he's done 400s before.

17. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Daniel,

150 miles IS close!

I live in NJ, I bought my 330 in VT!

Regards,

Art S.

PS. Don't forget to find out where the nearest GOOD Ferrari mechanic is! (mine is 117 miles away)

18. ed_and_tonny

ed_and_tonny Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed Quillian
    OK, may have found a 400i (actually 2) for the right price. But on both there is a definite lack of known verifiable service other than basic oil changes. Is there a good source for owners manual and service manuals, especially service manuals. So far my web searches have only yielded the owner and general tech manuals.
    ed

19. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Try eBay and search for "Ferrari 400i" or go to www.ferraribooks.com/400_i

I have managed to buy various 400i factory manuals (Electrical, Fuel Injection, Auto Trans, shop manual, parts manual, Pinninfarina body parts manual) from eBay and Ferraribooks. Most of them came from eBay, were in perfect condition and cost significantly less than new (and new reprints) from Ferraribooks.

Al

20. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    Just a caution on Ferraribooks.com. I'm not really sure if this guy has the books he is advertising to sell. I've been promised "next week" more than once, but yet I've been waiting nearly 2 months for my 400i shop manual and parts book. I've heard other people say they have had good success with this source, but in my case only time will tell...

Brennan Johnson
    '84 400i #47583