400i: starter solenoid | FerrariChat

400i: starter solenoid

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Brennan, Jul 8, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    Well it finally happened... I turned the key and nothing more than an ominous click. (you can hear the solenoid "try" to engage). Actually, this is a regular occurrence on my car, but usually after 2-3 turns of the key the starter engages and she springs to life; it doesn't seem to matter whether the car is warm or cold. Different today. Started fine cold, drove down to the gas station, then wouldn't start again even after about 10 turns of the key. (always great to get an admiring onlooker to help you PUSH your car out of the gas stall and into a nearby parking space!).

Finally, after several more tries, she sprang to life. I immediately ran to a friends house and put her up on the lift. We spent the better part of the day trying to convince ourselves that it isn't the starter solenoid:

-confirmed continuity across ignition switch.
    -confirmed 90% starting success when ~13.5v is fed directly to the solenoid

Battery is new, and we confirmed all leads and grounds. It seems that under normal circumstances there is just not enough current to slam the slug in the solenoid all the way through; yet, when more current is supplied the solenoid slams through and starts fine.

So, unfortunately, we're thinking again that it is the starter solenoid. Do the inner workings on these corrode over time or get otherwise 'gunky?' Is there a way to lube the solenoid, or is it a remove & replace operation? BUT HOW THE HECK DO YOU GET TO THE THING??? It was hard enough just getting power directly to it, but to try to actually remove it is another story altogether. Has anyone tackled this project?

Thanks!

Brennan

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Before you go straight to replacing the starter solenoid, have you checked to make sure that the starter relay in the fuse box is working correctly and has good, clean, tight connections?

John

3. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    That was one of the first things we jumped to... but there is no starter relay in the 5speeds though. There is just a jumper where the relay would be. Pulled the jumper out and cleaned it.

Also, I should mention that when we fed ~13.5v through the ignition switch, it started nearly every time too.

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I had to replace mine......
    Sorry for the bad news. Are you ready?

Take a deep breath.....

Yes it is true......

You have to pull the headers. No other way.

Sorry.

5. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Here is a brief list of what you need to do to get the starter out. I wrote this a few years ago but thought you might it useful. Refitting is teh reverse of removal.

For anyone interested, I took the starter out yesterday. It wasn't as difficult as I had expected. Removal was quite straight forward:
    1) Remove battery for safety
    2) Remove relevant air-filter
    3) Remove exhaust manifolds from this side engine and from the rest of the exhaust on this side of the car
    4) Undo wiring (three wires)
    5) Undo easy to get at 19mm lower nut and washer
    6) Undo slightly more difficult 17mm (yes 17mm) upper nut
    7) Starter drops out underneath the car
    The space around the upper nut is a bit tight and I had been warned I might need to make a special spanner but a standard spanner from a Mercedes tool kit fitted perfectly. This is a combination that is 19mm open ended at one end and a 17mm ring spanner at the other, and about 4 inches long.

6. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    Thanks for the step-by-step! This begs the question of whether I should go ahead and replace the entire starter as long as I have it out rather than just the solenoid. Has anyone had the starter iteself go out? (I'm at about 39,000 km on the dial).

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    While mine was out I had it rebuilt.
    Why take a chance?