400i Series 2 5-speed on eBay - s/n 50679 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

400i Series 2 5-speed on eBay - s/n 50679

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by aidanparte, Aug 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Are auto boxes cheaper to fix?

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The auto is a dime a dozen GM TH400 tranny. A grand to rebuild without the torque converter.

3. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Thanks. Makes me rethink that need a 5 speed thing.

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Careful there.....
    You've overlooked the fact that the 5-speeds bring 5 to 10 g's more in resale and they are very different cars.
    The auto is a nice cruiser and the 5-speed is a powerful GT car. I've owned both and they aren't even close to being the same.

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ......of course good luck finding a nice 5-speed.
    There are only 36 of them left here in the states and since mine isn't for sale that number just dropped to 35.

6. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Wow, I didn't realize they were that few and far between. 412s are the same way I assume? If we get another F car (which means I've completely removed my brain ;) ) it will be a 4 seat GT cruiser. So, the auto sounds fine in that regard. Slower, but fine.

7. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    this my be sacrilege... but will a T5 fit in there?

8. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    easy as pie to get parts and a much, much easier tranny to service than a 308, for example. parts in 24 hours. attached relpy from Ferrari UK.

Hello Brett

Ref your phone enquiry for the 400I parts, Please see the list below

1 x 110558 Clutch disc In Stock £128.70

1 x 109382 Clutch pressure plate In Stock £134.60

1 x 100849 Clutch release bearing In Stock £84.20

1 x 113455 Crank Balancer Pulley In Stock £366.00

7 x 106040 Synchro Rings 4x In Stock £203.00 each

3 x 184547 Synchro Hubs 2 x In Stock £154.50 each

2 x 106039 1st,2nd,5th, RM, Synchronizer 1 x In Stock £309.00

1 x 106050 3rd, 4th, Synchronizer In Stock £204.00

1 x 114353 Manual Flywheel In Stock £631.00

I hope this helps you

Best Regards

Martin

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Bet you could get something manual behind the auto V12 easily enough (Doug Nash 5 speed + Chevy auto adapter?) or use a 400iA bellhousing on this one.

Or just run it with a grumbling -- how often do ya really stay in 1st?

10. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Brett,

That is what; roughly $5K US? for parts + shipping + labor.

Regards,

Art S.

11. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Just busting in here from next door, but interested in a 400.

Normally, a grumbling gear is caused by a bearing rather than anything else. If you drive long enough with a bad bearing, it'll cause the teeth of the gears to contact eachother at the wrong angle and destroy the gears.
    Isn't the 400 5-speed basically a ZF box?
    If so, look for cross references in the ZF books, I think some of the F-car synchronisers were even common with Volvo truck traansmissions. ZF makes an enormous amount of trannies, and a lot of parts apart from shafts are carried over from concurrent products.

12. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #37 brettski, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
    i'm not quite sure what you mean, maybe you could clarify.
    what i meant was that parts are there if you need them and needing to refreshen a tranny in one of these does not necessarily mean that you should run away from a deal on an otherwise good car. that list i attached contains alot of parts that have nothing to do with the tranny and you may not need all that do concern the tranny. if your point is that it is fairly 'reasonable', then i agree. regarding the labour to refreshen, 2 days max to re, service and re. that would get you some nice detail work also.
    so if i understand you correctly, then i think $5K US could do all you'd need and much more. i could probably do a valve adjust and a tranny refresh for that. really.
    very interesting, good to know. thanks.

13. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Brett,

I just added the up the price per part and the quantity of each part as per the list provided (just a quick approximation, no calculators or writing was involved).

Jack,

The Ferrari 400 5-speed tranny is designed and made by Ferrari, I would be surprised if they shared internals, but if they do it would be great.

Regards,

Art S.

14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
  15. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    That's gotta be a misplaced decimal point, right? I could buy a 400 for that price...assuming I had the $$, of course

16. rebirthauto

rebirthauto Karting

Mar 25, 2007
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Sebastien
    Maybe a little steep, but they'll find a buyer. When I massaged my TR, if I remember it was $3.5K just for the diff., so it's not a far reach to get up there, quick.

Since that welded ol' diff has a way of grenading the whole box, good boxes are invariably getting scarce.

I do nevertheless think I saw a listing a while back for a 5spd 400 box for about the price of a TR diff. I'll dig deep and see if I can come up with it.

Sebastien

17. Ed_Trottier

Ed_Trottier Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 10, 2008
    Moneta, VA (SML)
    Full Name:
    Ed Trottier
    Not being an expert by any means, but literature shows the 400i A uses a "GM automatic transmission," which I think I read somewhere else is a 3-speed. According to factory, there were 422 GT models built of a total run of 1665 or so (I forget exact number, but 422 is what factory gives as 400i GT production). In addition to a pretty heavy clutch, I do notice that it needs to be fully depressed to get a consistently clean and smooth shift. At purchase a couple years ago, our local wrench (Marc Wilson of SportsCar Clinic in Roanoke, VA) drained and replaced with (I believe) SWEPCO in both trans and diff. We have taken a number of fairly long distance/moderate to high speed jaunts (approx. 500, 800 and 1200 miles) with no noises or problems. (Well, the rev limiter acted up twice, but worked fine once cooled down. It has since been jumpered out; not sure why a GT boulevardier even needs a rev limiter, but there you are.) No runs, drips, smokes or leaks. Car idles at a rock-steady 1000 rpm (+/- 25) summer to winter. We are running Kendal GT-1 Synthetic Blend 10W-50. We do have available here 93 octane Shell gas, and use it exclusively. Car could not run smoother or stronger.

18. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i'm a big, big fan of Shell's V-power. no ethanol. i think it is only 91 octane 'up here' but it is the absence of ethenol that counts. especially effective in the carbed cars but i run it in everything.

19. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Not here, up to 10% ethanol in the 93 octane, not good to store the car with during the winter. Ethanol & alum. don't mix.

20. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    #45 Modeler, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
    Certainly go down better with the wife.

21. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #46 samsaprunoff, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

Chassis 50679 is on Ebay... There is no mention if the transmission was repaired

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-gray-red-FERRARI-400i-400-sports-touring-car-V12-rare-5-SPEED-STICK-/200660562428?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2eb84d31fc

1984 400i 5-Sp Chassis: 50679
    Color: Grey Exterior / Oxblood Interior
    Mileage: 74036 Miles
    Item Location: Orange, CA, USA
    Price: Buy It Now $20000.00 USD

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    It's too bad, this isn't a bad looking car but it seems to be in a bit of a death spiral with the noisy gearbox probably never having been fixed and now all of the other little things (not running, starter problem, window, battery, etc.) starting to pile up from neglect and lack of use.

I don't know what a "Planned Non-Operational" title means in California but that doesn't sound promising either.

Sad, very sad.

23. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    A shame-

Can't get more than $30K-ish for a mint example... Even if this car was free to make it perfect would cost far more than the value of the car.

A 5 speed 400i is a pretty special car though...

24. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Special is right. By my count there are only 48 known examples of 400i 5 speeds in the States.

25. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Jay,

I disagree to an extent. It would depend upon to what level of perfection the owner wanted. Indeed, if one wanted an absolutely perfect / mint example, then this would not be the car. However, if one wanted a nice car for a reasonable price, then this could be a suitable candidate. If Ebay is any reflection (and if the cars on there actually sold), cars that are rusted and in bits and pieces seem to go for around $15K ... This one looks (from the pictures anyway) esthetically nice and clean, but with a number of mechanical issues.... the biggest in terms of time and cost would be the transmission. If one was able to do the mechanicals themselves and the car was bought for a reasonable price, then this could be a suitable car. Unfortunately with the car not running it makes it really tough to really do a thorough PPI and therefore provides even greater uncertainty. Personally, I think that the car will be a tough sell at this price.

That being said, I do like the color scheme (I like grey and silver on this cars)... however, I am still holding out for carbs :)

Cheers,

Sam