400i radio | FerrariChat

400i radio

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by AlbertoMiguel, Feb 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlbertoMiguel

AlbertoMiguel Rookie

Dec 2, 2010
    Would anyone be able to let me know which radio and model was originally fitted in the 400i in 1984. All pictures that I have been able to get around in the net shows different models from all brands. thanks

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    My car is 1983 production and came with a Blaupunkt Toronto radio/cassette player.

3. AlbertoMiguel

AlbertoMiguel Rookie

Dec 2, 2010
    thanks very much

4. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    My '84 had the Toronto also.
    Good luck finding one that has the casette working.
    I sent mine to a repair shop 3 years ago and they gave up trying to find parts after two years.
    The same little plastic part must break in all of them causing the casette to not be retained in the slot for playing.
    So I also gave up and installed a Kenwood KDC-X696 with CD player and a lot of electronic whiz bangs. It isn't remotely stock but it works.
    Greg

5. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't think that I ever even tried the cassette player as I almost never listen to the radio anyway since the sound of the engine is so beautiful. I changed it out for a Nakamichi radio/cd player unit about 3 years ago and whoever buys my car will get the Toronto too if wanted.

6. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Truth be told, I have never bothered to turn on the Kenwood outside of the garage. Like you I listen to the engine when actually moving.
    However, there are stretches on I-35 in Iowa that can require a good dose of Larry Williams or The Stones to get through.
    It is always best to be prepared.
    Greg

7. AlbertoMiguel

AlbertoMiguel Rookie

Dec 2, 2010
    thanks very much to all you. It is not really for the music, but to have it as original as posible.

8. dspellbe

dspellbe Karting

Jun 21, 2013
    Does anyone know if a later model Toronto from a 412 would fit in a 1984 400i? In a concours judging, would that be a disqualification? Thanks

9. dedo tanzi

dedo tanzi Karting

Dec 16, 2013
    Lugano - SUISSE
    Full Name:
    DEDO - Alfredo
    [ATTACH = full] 3016352 [/ ATTACH]
    Non era una radio montata di serie, ma non è 'male ....

Attached Files:

10. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    My 1984 51779 also has a Toronto...

11. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Dedo? Why are you responding to 7 year old threads?

dedo tanzi likes this.
  12. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Toronto SQR32 is right for 1984. Can also be seen in the catalogue of 400 S2. It is mechanicaly and optical equal to the Bremen SQR32, but the Bremen does not have ARI. This is also the only optical difference. Otherwise technically interchageable.
    I do have the Toronto and repaired it with Bremen bits. The design had an inbuilt fault about the throwout of the casette mechanism. Installed a new one from a Bremen. There was even a separat manual for the Toronto...
    Christopher

dedo tanzi likes this.
  13. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I've long noticed that the SQR32 was also sold in two earlier versions called the Washington and the Geneve. All four units are marked SQR32. I believe the Washington/Geneve are a year or two older than the Toronto/Bremen pair. My 84 came with a Toronto SQR32...still has it.

dedo tanzi likes this.
  14. dedo tanzi

dedo tanzi Karting

Dec 16, 2013
    Lugano - SUISSE
    Full Name:
    DEDO - Alfredo
    [QUOTE = "bjwhite, post: 147485816, member: 31400"] Dedo? Perché rispondi a thread di 7 anni fa? [/ CITAZIONE]

Caro Amico Bjwhite ....:)

Grazie per la domanda ... ecco la risposta ....

Per la prima volta sto leggendo, con attenzione e simpatia, i diversi Forum che raccontano delle mie auto ... e quando vedo qualcosa di interessante (... ma non solo per me, lo spero ...) rispondo.
    Tutto sommato, i nostri veicoli hanno quasi mezzo secolo di vita ....un thread di " soli " 7 anni, e' ancora " recentissimo "....;););)

Una buona settimana

15. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Endless (7+year longs?) debates on vintage car audio. Most F-Chatter will explain us why the only proper sound system in a Ferrari is under the bonnet... I beg to differ and I do really like music in these cars. Let's be clear on what I mean by "I like music" : I do not like that chunk of plastic and metal that sits on the dashboard, I just want from time to time to switch on the radio and enjoy the ride.

The Blaupunkt are no stellar performers of that era. As far as styling is concerned, the knob-style units from the 70s are nice. I am not such a fan of the units from the 80s. In a sense these units are perfect for a 308 owner that wants to fill a hole in the dashboard and only enjoys V8 music.

Alpine are out as these were used in Lamborghini... Really like the look and feature though.

Nakamichi, are perfect, except for the insane market value ($800 for a tape reader?)

Becker Grand Prix in the 70s were absolutely beautiful with the stripe-face plate (same faceplate as dedo's), but these are not period correct. In the early 80s we had the same old fashioned technology (the units did not receive any update) except for the plain black face plate and huge black knobs. This was OK for a Mercedes 300d owner who did not enjoy the music (gurgling) of his diesel engine.

Becker Electronics where much better and although they were also fitted in Mercedes, these mercedes had V8s. Becker Grand Prix Electronic (type 780) sounds and looks good (hard to fix though). That's what I would use in an a Ferraris that left the factory after 1983.

For earlier car, I really like Philips unts: these do have good sound, good look (old fashioned knobs) and unlike Blaupunkt are even quite sophisticated: automatic music search, memories, etc... Just got mine on ebay for $8 !

There is however one item that I will under no circumstances keep stock or period correct: the crappy speakers! A mid-range ($100) set of peaker, designed for low amp car radio can convert a modest 8w radio in a really capable system. I do have some JBL units, but I was positively surprised by the sound Focal speakers could deliver out of a vintage unit.

By the way, best 400 setup so far is Otto's!

dedo tanzi likes this.
  16. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Which is? Can be found where? Just out of curiosity. I love to play 80s tapes on the Toronto ;-)

17. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    His mechanic recycled a cheap subwoofer and made a superb enclosure encased just under the second air-conditioning unit.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/143895767/

[​IMG]

I must confess I made a shameless copy of his idea.

Back to the subject: there is a really nice website that describes numerous vintage car radios. If you are in the market for a period correct unit, that's really where you should have a look first. At least you can identify for each brand what were the models for sales in a given year. There are some good alternatives to the Blaupunkt.

https://antique-autoradio-madness.org/

18. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Thanks for the info and the nice link. I personally am not looking for an other unit and am happy with the original Toronto. For speakers I updated them in the original housings.

Thanks
    Christopher

19. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    The Blaupunkt was 4x5w (some manuals read 4x7w), which was really "modest". One of my relatives 412 has an additional amplifier in the trunk which he believes to be stock. This makes the Blaupunkt sound much better obviously...

I would be curious to know if this was the regular factory setup or a dealer upgrade? Also wondering if the amplifier was just a plain booster feeding only the rear speakers, or a "proper" install with additional cabling for the front speakers and low level line-in coming from the dashboard?

20. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    SQR32 was a very expensive unit (DM1600!), and in 1984 it was already ageing (issued in 1981): not sure they sold millions of units. Finding one today is probably going to be a challenge.

There are a few alternative as bjwhite pointed out : Toronto, Geneve, Washington, Monterey,Koln,Bremen, these are all based on the same SQR32 platform. Could be used as part donor to fix a broken Toronto...

When the Ferrari owner had to make it do with a 4*5w SQR32, The Porsche 911 was fitted with the SQR82 that was delivering 4*15w!

http://antique-autoradio-madness.org/Blaupunkt/Blaup_81/Blaup_81_02.htm : this page lists them all with detailed references
    http://antique-autoradio-madness.org/Blaupunkt/Blaup_81/Blaup_81_Cata81_02.htm : Blaupunkt brochures of that era

21. Santa Fe Jeff

Santa Fe Jeff Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    I too am trying to find a radio for my 400i. I really dislike the one I have (I think it's some sort of Kenwood) because it has the "second button" action where you have to push one button then a second to get to the function you want. OK when sitting in the garage but a non-starter when on the road.

But the biggest problem is I can't see the LED display in the sunlight with the angle of the dashboard. I'm trying to find a radio of some sort with an LCD display but am having no luck. You can see LCD's in direct sunlight. XM capable and possibly CD's too. Any suggestions?

22. Santa Fe Jeff

Santa Fe Jeff Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    This is the radio the car came with when I bought it. Looks to be from a 1989 or so MB. I just realized it has an LCD display, I've never had it plugged in to check. The installer that put in my current radio (actually a JVC, not a Kenwood i mentioned above) said the wiring from the Becker would not work in my car (the Becker was not hooked up, it was just laying in the dashboard slot). The car has some sort of large diameter clear plastic speaker wires with banana plugs on the ends (sorry, no pictures) as if it originally had some sort of amplifier. Nothing like that in there now.

Anyone have experience with the Becker? It's been modified by Becker Autosound for Bluetooth connection
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I've got a Becker 780 that is just a bit older than this one. Excellent units with good sound, excellent radio reception, good ergonomy, also tape azimuth can be easily adjusted . Only complains are 1) the anti-theft system which go nuts when the built-in battery is depleted. 2) the electronic circuit (phenolic board?) is fragile and the traces do break easily when manipulated. 3) not period correct as the first nice Becker electronics are from 86 (the previous one does look cheap).

24. Santa Fe Jeff

Santa Fe Jeff Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Thanks. Can you see the digital readout in the sunlight?

25. Santa Fe Jeff

Santa Fe Jeff Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM