400i or 308 gt4? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

400i or 308 gt4?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bernadette, Mar 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    You were going fine....................................................

until you mentioned the Mondial :D

2. mgsamman

mgsamman Rookie

Aug 1, 2009
    Seattle / DC / Dubai
    LOL

3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    hahaha, that's funny. Man, ain't nothing wrong with a nice color Mondial with 348 wheels on it. Looks great in my opinion. :)

4. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Beaudy,Mate,fill up yer shed with 'em....you can be 'The Tassie' of the Mondial affliction :D

5. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    In the 80's I lived in Encino California. I drove around looking for the next "backyard" find. There were plenty of them. I do remember one place where the home owner had 4 206 Dino's crammed into his back yard along with as many VW bugs, go figure. Both could be found readily and for a song.
    I'm not familiar with what makes Mondial owners "tick" but they may be on to something the rest of us don't get, just like the guy in Encino with a back yard full of Dino's.
    I wonder what happened to them?

6. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
  7. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
  8. zman

zman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    I don't know why but years ago the 308 GT4, I thought was a terrible car but now the more I look at one the more I want one.
    I don't know why that is but think of all the cars you disliked in your past and now you like them.
    I guess it's like comparing it to food or wine or even women.....It just tastes and gets better with age!

9. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    The 308 GTB is a killer design but man they made a bunch of them

The first time I saw a 308 GT4 I didn't know it was a ferrari-and I'd heard is the car but they look different in person. That probably didn't help sales 40 yrs ago but now it's a great story when you throw in the connection with the stratos/bertone/gandini connection (big connection) and the lineage with the Dino 206/246. Funny how other than the lambos from gandini/bertone years all of these cars used to be dirt cheap not so many yrs ago

Also, with a Dino 308 you can tell the 308 GTB/GTS crowd with their 'pretty' cars they are missing the best part of the engine if they don't have the 4 webers haaaaaaaa

10. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I find the GT4 "prettier" than the other 308s. For sure. I do love the 308 GTB though....

11. kaiser

kaiser Karting

Dec 17, 2011
    johannesburg
    I had to go and look the 308GT4 up.
    Compared to the 400i, I would say it is like cheese and chalk. The 400i is clearly not a sportscar, but it is in my view good looking!

I don't think the side view of the 308 is harmonious at all, there is something not quite right with the shape of the side window.

But, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

12. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I prefer the lines on the GT4 over the others in the 308 family but I see why folks can be put off by the design-it was an angular, Star Wars era modern design that was a big change for fcar. I dig it, as well as all the bertone/gandini cars but I'm a little biased-heck I've owned a few of them! Most agree it has aged well over the years and I'd say that applies to the 400 series also (design wise-totally different car of course)

The car I've always wanted from that era is the lancia stratos-but those are getting further out of reach-and it doesn't help that it's Dino engine alone is now worth absurd money

13. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Which is why a Hawk HF with an Alfa V6 makes a perfect substitute. :)

14. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Naaah, too reliable haaaaaa!!!