400i or 308 gt4? | FerrariChat

400i or 308 gt4?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bernadette, Mar 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bernadette

bernadette Karting

Mar 6, 2014
    I'm looking at buying my first Ferrari and debating over the 308 GT4 and a 400i.
    I saw one near my area on a local autotrader.
    It's an 84 400i bit I'm not too sure about what I should do. I haven't seen any 308 gt4 yet.
    HELP!

2. hoverland

hoverland Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Harald Ø
    Why choose? -Get both !

3. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Very different cars to drive ,especially if the 400 is an auto. What are you interested in, show or go?

4. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #4 wrxmike, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    Well that's what I did ( 412GT & 308 GT4 )

They are different cars, GT4 is much sportier and nimble, simpler and cheaper to fix. Then there is the discussion about V8 vs V12, carbs vs fuel injection, 5speed vs auto, mid engine vs front engine. You can get in pretty deep quickly with a 4xx series car but it's the entry to Ferrari V12 ownership.

The GT4 was my first Ferrari and they are a great 1st Ferrari, easy to fix, nice to drive, parts not too expensive. The GT4 is mechanically the same as the 308 GTB/ GTS so performance is comparable

With either car, just make sure you buy a good example, its worth it.

M

5. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Sorry to have to ask,but it could be relevant.
    Are you male or female.
    I have experience with a female driving a 308GTS and the unassisted steering,as she gets older,it is playing havoc with her shoulders.To the extent that electric power steering is a possibility.
    The 365/400 series,as you probably know,are all power steer.

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    If you don't have an idea as to whether you prefer an edgy, sporty, light mid-engined two seater or a luxurious, comfortable, powerful, rapid Grand Touring machine that can carry four people in a pinch or two people plus golf clubs for long distances on a nice weekend of touring, you should drive both. They are very, very different.

But I think that you must have an idea about what you are looking for in a toy like a Ferrari.

I hope that these two are not on your list only because they tend to sell for about the same price.

7. palmer_md

palmer_md Karting

Feb 26, 2014
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael

Yep, I agree. The better comparison would be the 400 vs 456. I like the added power of the 456, but the smaller rear seats are a disadvantage for my situation, and the sound of the v12 in the 400 is much better than the 456 (at least to my untrained ears). I'm not sure why but I'm drawn to the 400 even though I want to like the 456 (for both looks and sound). If I did not want better rear seating, the GT4 would probably be on the list for better handling and less expensive maintenance (and has looks more similar to the 400 than the 456).

Of course don't listen to me because I'm not yet an owner, but I'm looking for a 400 for the reasons outlined above. Owners could probably give you better feedback.

8. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I initially wanted a 456 and they are light years faster than the 400 but after driving both models and digging into service requirements I went with a '78 400 and have no regrets. You really need to drive them before making a decision.

9. new ulm 400i

new ulm 400i Karting

Sep 1, 2007
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Lee Atkinson
    Oh, the 2 models were alike --one was the cheapest Ferrari V8 and the other is still the cheapest V12...The 308GT4 is like a leather jacket, the 400 is a comfortable sweater. I miss falling into the seat, the sound of the flat crank and webers, the clank of the shifter, the both-hands-on the wheel driving, and being at 5000 rpm in casual cruising......But I think the 400i instead is just easier to maintain, more comfortable, a bit quicker (at least compared to the later US models)--just more elegant. The Mondial has become the entry Ferrari V8, but I still think that the 400i is the bargain of a car and always a pleasure to drive...
    Given the chance to buy either, the rule could just be "buy the best one..." Either can be a real joy to own--Lee

10. 300man

300man Karting

Mar 19, 2010
    The guys have summed it up very well.

The 308 GT4 is a lovely car, very quick and still underrated, its looks being too angular for some. This is changing rapidly, as modern cars are more podgy, the old ones start looking dainty and elegant. It is rather small however. Not much space inside, OK if you're dainty or petite, but I found them rather claustrophobic. Like wearing the car! great if that's what you like, airplane-style cockpit experience, great V8 sound, Go-Kart handling...

The 400and its siblings are different. The massive, beautiful work of art that is the Colombo V12 was the selling point for me, but so was the inside space, and the overall length made the body design even more elegant. Trunk space is good, so you can go touring in Europe without using DHL to forward your bags. The Auto box makes it a breeze in traffic, and if you feel like cruising the boulevard it'll shift into third at 35MPH, but kick-down will scare you! I'm told the gearbox is nice to operate on the GT, but can't talk about it yet as mine is still a non-runner,
    though hopefully not for too long. The early series with the wooden console and alloy steering wheel are my personal favourites, but some prefer the more modern feel of the plastic/ matt black console of later models.

I hope that this helps you make up your mind. Both are great cars, but watch out for neglected ones, these are cheap enough to attract the wrong kind of owner...

Good Luck

Eric

11. bernadette

bernadette Karting

Mar 6, 2014
    Thanks but if I were to buy a 308 GT4 which year would appreciate more?
    Would a series 1 car, 1975 be considered a better buy than a later series 2 75 car or even later?
    Also does anyone know how many 308 GT4's came factory equipped with the luggage shelf instead of the rear seats and if so how rare are those vehicles and are they more desirable.
    I'm just trying to see the best I can get on a 308 GT4.

12. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    #12 JG333SP, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    Glad you posted this in the 400 section-no matter what get a gt4!!!

Kidding of course-the are totally different cars, get exactly what you want (either) and get the best you can find

75 gt4 branded as Dinos will appreciate the most. There are many that are in between (like mine) that dealers were instructed to put the horse on. I may switch mine back-we'll see.

Also, cars 75 and under are easier to register in CA which in itself is a big market chunk for anything fcar, so that helps push up the value as well

13. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I also really dig the 400/400i/412/etc. if it were me I'd get an early carb'd car but I enjoy that punishment-would love to move from 4 to 6 carbs and I think they are side draft also-those carbs won't make you fat bc you'll be working your ass off keeping them tuned. Still go with the carb option!

14. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I have a 365 GT4. If I were to get another Ferrari it would be the 308GT4. They are cool cars, really like the interior and especially the instrument panel.

15. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Here in the States an late 74 with Euro Bumpers or an early 75 with Euro cams would be the best car to appreciate- but assume ANY post 72 Ferrari is NOT going to appreciate- assume it's going to cost you ... a lot.

You gotta love these cars to own them.

I own both a 400i 5 speed and a 13,000 mile concours restored 308GT4. Both wonderful cars but I think really ANY car guy would chose the 308GT4- it's what you think of when you think Ferrari. Low, sleek, makes a great noise and quick enough (In a vintage sense) to be super engaging.

To me a 308GT4 is a better road car than any old Porsche.

16. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    It's great how fcar called the first of the 400 series the 365 gt4-direct link to the Daytona. So, the 308 Dino engine was the first v8 production car made by fcar. I don't know much about the history of the engine design but it's probably less than ironic that the bore/stroke is the same as both of the engines of these v12s (.365 L per cylinder). The v angle is 60 deg on the v12 and the 90 deg on the v8 (308 Dino is flat crank) so it's more complicated than the simple 'they cut off 4 cylinders' but fcar was definitely building (or shrinking to 8 cyl) on the great engine design from the Daytona.

2 completely different cars linked to the Daytona, but of course the 365 GT4 has the more obvious connection!

17. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    not this hard core 'car guy' !

to me, Ferrari means V-12 above all other things...and motor aside, the 365/400 series is low and sleek compared to everything else on the road.

I've owned both a '74 Euro and March built '75 US and while they sound better than almost anything thing else, they most certainly do not sound better than a 12.

I like Dino GT4's but they were less than half the price when new and it's reflected in the build quality...and I really struggle when I look at the cock-eyed driver seat...it's just wrong.

18. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    so you bought the '84 400i ?

if so, Congrats !

19. bernadette

bernadette Karting

Mar 6, 2014
    Still looking

20. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    But you were looking at that grey on black automatic car in Ontario or something?

21. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    I thought it was the '84 grey/red 5-speed in Kitchener...

22. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Brett, I think the other guy was asking about and looking at that one. (the other thread called, should I buy or not) Not sure what's up with ontario and grey 400is haha.....

23. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    oh, ok...thanks Brian.

24. new ulm 400i

new ulm 400i Karting

Sep 1, 2007
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Lee Atkinson
    ...oh, I realized, another thing in common between the Gt4 and the 400; both were considered Ferrari's worst cars....I remember one book introducing the Gt4, "Then in 1974, disaster!"
    Its interesting to see the positive comments on the Gt4, I always thought it looked great. As does the 400...Honestly, what Ferrari is not desirable ?

25. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I agree about the GT4. I think it's one of Ferrari's best designs, although I have a weakness for mid-70s Bertone. I love the almost Lancia Stratos nose and windshield. I honestly think the 308 is a bit meh.......I know, I know. I personally also don't really love the Daytona and think the 365 GTC/4 looks much, much better. Call me weird. I also have always loved the 400/400i. I also like the Mondial Coupes.