400i, next car? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

400i, next car?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 550nitis, Jun 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Just a few of my comments to the items raised by Raemin:

Good to know. However, depending upon where you live this point could be moot. I say this, as over here you are ticketed driving as little as 5-7 km/h (3-5 mph) more than the speed limit in the City. On the highway you can maybe get to 100-120 km/h (60-72 mph), but any spirited driving will see a major ticket and/or a mandatory visit in front of a Judge.

Some call this smell, others call it aroma :)

This would also be depending upon where you live... some areas are not as hot as others... some areas do not have as much traffic as others, etc. Good to know and it is good reason to check and refresh the entire cooling system when appropriate. One would need to compare the various models to see if the issue is the cooling flow rate, radiator size, etc. If so, then perhaps items could be updated to accommodate.

Exercise :) ... All kidding a aside it really depends on the user. I personally have no issues with brake or clutch pedal effort. Although because there is no ABS, one needs to be more attentive during braking and also modulate braking accordingly.

In general this may be the case, but I believe it is because of the talent pool of those that know these and any carbs is getting smaller and smaller. With that said, carb parts and even those that need more often to be replaced are relatively inexpensive. With that said, there would certainly be more mechanics who would know how to work on the injection system, as the system was used in a number of other manufacturer car's (Mercedes benz, etc). Even so even technicians who truly know injection systems are becoming scarce.

Cheers,

Sam

550nitis likes this.
  2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Interesting. I’ve never really had that problem. How about other carbs guys, is this an issue for you?

550nitis likes this.
  3. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Yep once on the long drive I and 2 mates did in 2 cars to Melbourne,it has been catalogued here.
    The 365 was eventually found to be leaking out of one carb.
    I had 'em all rebuilt after that...no problem since.:)

4. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    No,not a problem. Experienced it years ago when I bought the car and it was fuel leaks. After carb rebuild it was fine. Fuel smell in the trunk is another matter but I suspect could be the same with injected cars.

550nitis likes this.
  5. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Sorry for the confusion, by "carbs are more expensive" I meant the market value of carbed 400 is significantly higher than their 400i siblings. In other words buying a clean 400i is easier, whereas it is easier to get rid (resell) a 400 carb than a 400i ...

As far as the fumes are concerned: the ladies are complaining for sure.

At the end of the day, each to his own: these cars do have their unique temper, with a bit of patience it's possible to find the car that delivers the proper balance of sport and luxury.

550nitis likes this.
  6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Raemin,

No confusion, just my misinterpretation of your comment, my apologies.

Also, there is no question that injected cars tend to be much easier to deal with and generally are priced less than carbed cars.

Cheers,

Sam

550nitis likes this.
  7. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    OttoB likes this.
  8. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Have you guys seen the ones at RM auctions?

9. eladoppel

eladoppel Rookie

Jan 30, 2016
    Stow, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dale Leppo
    I saw the 1984 400i listed at RM in Monterey next month. They say it was Ron Tonkin's so it should have had good maintenance. Does anyone know that car?