400i Need Keys | FerrariChat

400i Need Keys

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by oldcoin, May 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oldcoin

oldcoin Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Tony Mitchell
    I have purchased a 1984 400i and it comes to me with out any keys whatsoever. (Don't even know if it runs!). Does anybody know if I can source a set of keys using the car's vin number?

2. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Where on the planet are you?

Ferrari UK may be able to help, if not with keys that fit they should be able to sort you out a new ignition Key and barrel (no need to change the door locks)

3. oldcoin

oldcoin Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Tony Mitchell
    Andrew, I am in Reno Nevada. Thanks for the tip on the keys

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I responded "over there"....I lost a set of keys once, pull the ignition, (steering lock included in my case), and one of the the doors and take them to a locksmith!

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Andrewg.... I am advising to "repin" the existing mechanisms, other than R&R labor, not that expensive...

6. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Have replaced my 1980 400i keys more times than I care to think about: A really good locksmith lke one that was trained in the U. S. Government can do this with his eyes closed. These are the key blanks that you will need: 1. Ign: Taylor USAblank #v70E; or ilcoblank#RE61F-x12.

As you may have found, thesese key blanks are also Volvo. In addition, they are very long and soft, so be careful nor to crack or bend them at the hilt, The best and only way that I've found to avoidthis is to wiggle the steering wheel as you turn the key.Parking valets have boned me twice in their sheer stupidity. As for the other keys. just remember that the nice ovular shaped door locks are Alpha Romeo. I'll get you those numbers when I get my car back week, if you remind me on this site..........hope this helps.............Jacques.......over

7. oldcoin

oldcoin Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Tony Mitchell
    Thanks for all the help, we removed the lock cylinder and had keys made. I am now driving and working on other things. Thanks, Tony

8. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    I have one key for my 1980 400A, which is truly a beast of a car. Anyway, the key has the code on it NE8, which I have learned refers to the keymaker Neiman. I can't find a blank that says NE8 anywhere! Is there another key blank that can be substituted for this wretched key?

9. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    My ignition keys, of which I have 2 of, look to be original Ferrari keys, complete with the Prancing Horse on the black plastic, but they have a feature I've never seen on any other keys before-they have a hinge on the upper part!

That is, the plastic part you grip with your fingers while turning actually folds in half. Don't know why, it just does.

Are these aftermarket? the owner's manual does not show these.

Kraig

10. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    Yes, Kraig, my Neiman key folds too, when it breaks in the door lock. Actually, Dennis McCann sells those folding keys you have for a 400GT. I think he's only got OEM stuff? So, they were probably offered by Ferrari

11. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Among all of the keys that I got with my 1983 400i was the black plastic hinged version. Broken hinge unfortunately. I use the plain old metal replacements as my everyday key.

So they probably were stock OEM.

BTW, more easily found replacement keys: Ignition: Ilco H6I VR, ESP Lock F74 T (a Fiat key) or Curtis AA-1. Doors: DL SF9 (these have a large round fingerhold with a 4 leaf clover on it and the large size gives good leverage in unlocking the doors) or a Taylor X88 (fits Audi); Glove box: Curtis FT 32 or Torino SAFE.

John

12. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Again...ilc key blanks...re61f-612.....or taylor blanks#V70E...fits Volvo and many others...when you locate them at a REALY good loksmith...buy 10 of them. you're goingto need them. My solution to the problem..once and for all, was to buy a standard replacement ignition switch h($20)..Also.. after ten years with my 1980400i I've learned to stop screwing around with Ferrrari crap parts and go domestic whenever and where ever possible..like putting the ingnition switch in the center console where the dummy bllue and red generator light never has been. Also if the ignition key is hard to turn or the car won't start, that means tha the ignition switch module is burnt out or about to go. ($250) at ferrari. contact me for source($90),ect,ect....taillight bulbs..1157ect...window lifters..buy a pair of U.S. made ($150perpair) and far superior...on and on..just ask me. You're very welcome....Jacques..over..