400i input please. | FerrariChat

400i input please.

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by texasmr2, Oct 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Hello everyone and thank you for letting me be apart of your forum, I would like to get some experienced input from member's concerning the 400i. Alway's wanted a '3 serie's' Ferrari, almost bought a 308 GTB some year's ago, but they cost more than I want to spend at this time, then I remembered the 400i. They are in my price range and heck you get a V12 to bat so would anyone be kind enough to share their experience's or insight with me concerning this model? It would be much appreciated.

Thank's in advance,
    Gregg

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    First of all, welcome to Ferrari Chat! Secondly, there are huge differences between a 400i and a 308 that go way beyond the initial purchase price. In fact, the initial purchase price is probably one of the last things that should enter into your decision as to which to buy.

The 308 is a true sports car, with all of the quick response and sports car handling that you would expect. The 400i is more of a GT car, it has tons of performance but it is not a throw it around the tight corners type of vehicle.

Also, do not judge "affordability' based only on purchase price. A 400i is a much more complex vehicle in some respects just by virtue of its 12 cylinder configuration, but also because of expensive or unobtainable body parts, an expensive self leveling suspension and a LOT of leather in the interior caused by the four seater configuration and the fact that, as the luxury model, it has leather everywhere. Because they are 2 +2's, their resale value has always been at the low end of Ferrari pricing, which means that a lot of people buy them because they want a Ferrari but they cannot afford proper maintenance. As a result, many 400is are poster children for deferred maintenance issues and it would not be unusual to expect to spend $10K after the purchase just to bring the car up to current maintenance standards.

Do not let this discourage you from 400i ownership. I have owned a 5 speed version for 9 years and absolutely love it. There is nothing like the power, sound and pull of a V12 and I never get tired of looking at it or hearing it fire up first thing in the morning.

Figure out which model "speaks" to your Ferrari passion and then go and buy the best that you can afford. For either a 308 or a 400i, the most expensive Ferrari is likely to be the one that is cheapest to buy.

FChat also has a terrific section devoted to the 400i series, and here you will find a good group of very knowledgeable, hard core enthusiasts. Check it out, ask questions about the history of any car that you might be considering and, most of all, have fun!

The 308 section also has a large group of enthusiasts that can help you immensely with your decision.

Best of luck,

John

3. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Thank's John. I am aware of the difference's between the two, touring vs sport, but appreciate you touching base on that subject. The mid-engine model's are what speak's to me but then again so does the V12 so yes I am torn. This is something that I will definitely NOT be rushing into, once again thank's for taking the time to reply.

Gregg

4. fez1238

fez1238 Karting

Sep 5, 2007
    #4 fez1238, Oct 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi

I have been using my '83 400i as a daily driver for the past 4 months and its been a revelation. The car looks so much better in real life than in pictures. The scale of the car is long and sleek and quite low, the interior is amazing with leather everywhere and switches to fiddle with down the centre console. I own 2 other F cars a Mondial an Testarossa, the 400i gets more comments than the others because so few are seen on the roads.

Upon starting the car it rumbles and grumbles and then becomes a smoother purr once the oil is warmed up. The engine note is not as dramatic as the V8's especially the autos but nevertheless is a tight throaty roar when you hit the gas.

Most people who test drive the car are not impressed at first - this is because the car (as an auto) is geared and set up to give its best at over 50mph. (Im not a technical person but terms such as torque and gear bhp ratios are concerned here). Thus its sometimes 'bad press' is founded on peoples perception rather than the cars true abilities.

The car was the top of the range and was produced from '1976 to 1987 so its a well sorted vehicle in Ferrari terms. The detailing is understated however the quality is immense. Iv had no major issues with the car and here in the UK there are quite a few options on getting spares for it.

This car is built for long drives and its not a car that will welcome extended periods locked in the garage - this will cause more harm than good.

Some pics for you...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    fez1238,
    WOW what a beatiful car you own and I have seen quite a few over the year's and the styling is just breathtaking too me. My Ferrari will not be a 'garage queen' that's forsure and the weather will not have an impact over the decision if it's gonna see the road that day. More likely my 'daily driver' will see less road time than my Ferrari.
    Thank's for your reply and pic's, I hope you dont mind that I saved them to my archive's.

Many thank's,
    Gregg

6. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    #6 aleventhal, Oct 23, 2007
    I also use my 400i (#049773) as a daily driver. All four seasons. In NY. You get the picture. These cars are bullett proof if sorted, but only buy one if you want one. A 400i is NOT any cheaper than an equivalent condition carb or 2v injected 308, but any problems will cost much more - so no reason to buy one over a 308 based on price alone. Of course, you could do what I did and just buy one of each (and a 365bb besides) :).

A

7. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    What I really like about the 400i is the styling it is just "OH MY GOD" to me !!! I see you have a 308 GT4 that model is very dear to me also. Oh man I'm so confused as there now seem to be 3 not just 1 Ferrari model's that I can actually park in my garge one day soon. I appologize to everyone for I have not done any research as of late it's just that I have gotten closer to my dream of owning one and that has left me in a daze. I have actually set my ownership deadline for my 45th birthday, which is July 4th of '09, but I really need to do more research and hopefully become apart of the local community, as I know I will learn alot that will help me make the final decision.

Thanks so much for everyone's patience with me,
    Gregg

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!! Nice car but sheesh, how did that steering wheel get installed on the wrong side?

9. fez1238

fez1238 Karting

Sep 5, 2007
    #9 fez1238, Oct 24, 2007
    About a quarter of the world drives on the left, and the countries that do are mostly old British colonies.

This strange quirk perplexes the rest of the world; however, there is a perfectly good reason.

Up to the late 1700's, everybody travelled on the left side of the road because it's the sensible option for feudal, violent societies of mostly right-handed people.

Jousting knights with their lances under their right arm naturally passed on each other's right, and if you passed a stranger on the road you walked on the left to ensure that your protective sword arm was between yourself and him.

Revolutionary France, however, overturned this practice as part of its sweeping social rethink. A change was carried out all over continental Europe by Napoleon.The reason it changed under Napoleon was because he was left handed his armies had to march on the right so he could keep his sword arm between him and any opponent.

From then on, any part of the world which was at some time part of the British Empire was thus left hand and any part colonised by the French was right hand.

The drive-on-the-right policy was adopted by the USA, which was anxious to cast off all remaining links with its British colonial past

Back to topic... drove about 55 miles yesterday some 8 miles down an unrestricted dual carriagway - only 80mph but felt faster wafting past other traffic, lots of head turns from drivers and their passengers, stopped for fuel a number of people ask usual questions ..'is it a Ferrari? What size is the engine? Whats the top speed? Does it have limited slip differential ?!!! Anyhow I enjoy these short chats although the kids can get a bit annoying on how much it costs! ' probably less than your trainers' is my reply. My main point here is that peoples reactions are tremendous with this car and once again it looks about 100 times better in real life than in photos.

more pics for you....

Andrew

10. bushwhacker

bushwhacker In Memoriam

May 25, 2006
    Phoenix Az.
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Gregg,

Look in the Ferrariads section here in FChat if you haven't already. One of our members ( KraigG ) has a very nice 400i for sale and is listed on EBay as well......good luck.

11. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Gregg,

I live in Houston also. I have a GT4 and a 5-speed 400i.
    Two things....
    The a/c on a 308 series car will not keep up with the Houston heat in the summer so don't plan on arriving to work without a soaked shirt if you're driving a 3x8 series car. The 400i WITH dual a/c barely keeps up. A 400i with SINGLE a/c won't do it.
    and...
    Please be aware these are not cheap cars to own. The purchase price is just the down payment on the membership fee of the club. As John said it is not unusual to spend 30% to 50% of the cost of the car to bring them into shape.

There is a nice series 1 black/black 400i 5-speed for sale here in town as we speak. It has a new interior and has jut gone through a $20,000 service. It'll run you around $38,000.

12. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Gregg,

Listen to Dave, on this. There is no such thing as a cheap Ferrari. Even if you do all of the work yourself, the parts are expensive and remember, as these cars age, all of the soft bits will eventually need to be replaced. When you look at cars, proceed very carefully, it's not fun realising that the $25k car you just bought needs $15k to make it into a good $30k car.

Regards,

Art S.

13. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Great advice and insight guy's thank's. Yep I know it will not be an inexpensive car to own and maintain but my life will be INCOMPLETE if I dont own a Ferrari someday. I'm just going take my time, listen and learn from everyone here, join FCA and attend local meet's as my first goal. Just being apart of the community even as a non-owner is going to make me very happy. Heck I just love being around Ferrari's and Ferrari people so I will be happy just the same and I hope with enough tear's and pestering I will be taken for ride's.

Gregg

14. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Absolutely! Life is too short not to own at least one Ferrari. And anyway, how bad can it be to own a 400i? At current prices, depreciation will be very little and, even when you factor in good maintenance, it will end up being cheaper over a 10 year period than buying a new Acura (for example), which costs more to buy and will be worth basically nothing in 10 years.

You will never tell your grandchildren about the great Acura that you owned. Now, the Ferrari, well........

John

15. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    Wow! I learned something new, this is great. Thanks for the info.

BTW, I also love the 400i!

16. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Thirteen years ago I drove several 400's before I bought a 1985 400i 5 speed. It was my first Ferrari, and I loved it (I always wanted an Espada, but at 6'2" I could not fit in it). The 400 has enough room, full leather that still smelled good and a beautiful dashboard with big dials. I did drive the Auto (3 speed) and the 5 speed manual and found the GM 3 speed auto very sluggish and waited for the right manual to come by. I will post some photos later.

17. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    How many miles on the odometer these days, Al...?

18. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Wow, thank you for the very enlightening explanation on why we drive on the "other" side....
    By the way, congratulations for your beautiful car: I almost bought one, but finally decided for a 456 GT instead.

19. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Way to go Gregg: there is just one "car", the others are just transportation....

20. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    About 55k and counting :)

21. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    I have a 82 400I. I also have three other toy cars of the two seat varity. I find I am driven the 400I more than the others becouse it does have 4 seats and a trunk. I now look forward to picking somebody up at the airport, driven when going out to dinner with another couple, etc. becouse now I do not have to drive a transportaion appliance. Before the 400I I had to wait for solo drives are weekends to enjoy my toy cars now with the 400I I can make mundane chores a driveing treat. If I had only one toy car I would go with the 308 becouse it is more sports car, but as a augment to a stable the 400I is excellant. I also looked at Espada's and Quttroprte's. I like the Ferrai the most out of the others.

22. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Not to distract from the original subject of the thread, a interesting side note to this is that most, if not all, early castles had stair towers built left hand up for this very same reason so that if there was an attempt to overtake the castle, the enemy would have a difficult time swinging their swords as they made their way up the stair towers (in other words, clockwise going up).

23. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    My reason for posting this thread was because the 400's are more in my price range at the moment but with all the great input and recommendation's I have been 'sorted out' so too speak lol. I will holdout and save more $ to get the model that is nearest and dearest to me which is the 308GTS. Everyone's input has been just awesome and very much appreciated.

Gregg

24. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Awesome...!

25. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I once heard that Billy the Kid was not really left-handed: they had just mistakenly flipped the classic photo-negative when they made the famous print.