400i help needed | FerrariChat

400i help needed

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by tbakowsky, Jun 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ok..I have a 400i in the shop at the momment (83) The car has just had a freash engine rebuild before the current owner took delivery.

I took the car for a ride and the thing is running terriable. Serious misfiring above 3k rpm, and massive popping out the exhaust on decel.

I need the timing spec for it. I looked through everything I have and can't find it anywhere.

I've checked all the basics. I have not gone as far to pull the distributor to check the weights and such, but I must varifiy the timing before anything else can be done. Its definatly out of wack because it barely will roll over when its warm, jump, jump, rolll, start.

I must mention that it also has an MSN box hooked into it. I'm going to have to check the rev setting chip in it to make sure its good for this car. What type of MSN box are you guys running? This one is a part number 6400. Any ideas??

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    The owner's manual for my 1983 400i has the following ignition timing:

Distributor static advance 1,000 rpm 8 degrees

Advance of distributor at 5,000 rpm: 30 degrees

This is for the stock dinoplex ignition.

The manual's valve timing:

Inlet valves open: 20 deg. BTDC
    Inlet valves close: 44 deg. ABDC

Exhaust valves open: 54 deg. BBDC
    Exhaust valves close: 10 deg. ATDC

Valve clearances: Inlet 0.20 mm to 0.25 mm
    Exhaust: 0.30 mm to 0.35 mm

John

3. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Hello Tom, I have a new msd box on the shelf for a v12.
    Give me a call.

Rocco

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks guys..Ok the ignition timing is so far out of wack on this thing its not funny. I have to yank the distributor and reset it as I ran out of room to retard the timming. Its a wonder it was able to even start. I'm gonna have a look at the advance springs and such while its out.

The overly advanced timing was causing the spark to jump accross 2 ignition termianls on the cap causing cross firing of the cylinders. I could see the carbon tracking as evidence of this. Crazy stuff these old Ferraris!!

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Runs beautiful..thanks for the timing info. MSD box seems to be just fine after all.