400i Head Room | FerrariChat

400i Head Room

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by ed_and_tonny, Sep 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ed_and_tonny

ed_and_tonny Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed Quillian
    Sounds kinda silly, but I'd really like to know how the average to tall person fits in the 400i. I currently have an XJS convertible that is really rather short on head room and I'm only 5'10"". The thought came to mine when looking at Joe Bergmann's picture of the cars in the garage and the 400 is sitting next to an XJS.
    thanks

2. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    I'm 5'11", and I fit in my 400i very well. The only issue I have, though, is that my thigh touches the bottom of the steering wheel. A tilt wheel would have been nice.

3. ed_and_tonny

ed_and_tonny Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed Quillian
    hmmm, being somewhat "portly", that could prove to be a problem.

4. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I'm 6'4" and sit VERY tall in cars. (I have long hip-to-knee length, plus very tall torso.) I was surprised when I tested a 400i for a story in my column last year how well I fit. It was a little tight in headroom, but certainly more comfortable for me than, say, an Acura 3.2TL.

Also, the ability to bring the seat back further with the 2+2 is great.

I have a 328 GTS and with the targa top on it is tighter than a 400i.

5. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I am just under 6ft tall, but quite slim, and find my 1980 400i to have plenty of headroom. The seats are extremely supportive and comfortable even on very long journeys (1,800 miles).

Aidan

6. Joe Bergmann

Joe Bergmann Karting

Oct 24, 2005
    Shoreview, Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Joe Bergmann
    I have much more headroom in my 400 than in my XJS. I am 6'1". The 850 is in the middle. I would say I have about 2-3" in the 400, maybe 1" in the XJS and about 2" in the BMW.

For long distances, the XJS is the most comfortable, the Ferrari is the most fun, and the BMW is the best handling...

It always intrigues me that 3 automakers tasked with a similar design, a continent-crushing GT car with a V12 engine, can come up with 3 completely different results!!!

7. ed_and_tonny

ed_and_tonny Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Full Name:
    Ed Quillian
    Hummm, I think it's interesting Joe that you find the XJS the more comfortable. Maybe it's partially my "bulk" but things I miss in the XJS that I found even in my 87 Maserati spyder was a) the head room, b) the seat width c) the wide(r) cockpit pedal area complete with a foot rest. In the XJS convertible I also have issues with the visibility. The small rear quater windows and large canvas area of the jag just drives me nuts. Then again when the top is down its GREAT!