400i for $17,000 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

400i for $17,000

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ike, Mar 4, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mondialmerle

mondialmerle Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Egg Harbor Township,NJ
    Full Name:
    Merle Graham
    You might pay 17k for this car and in a year it could be a 30k car. Sometimes you just can't buy a car cheap enough.When it comes to buying a car the most important thing is to but 'the right car' not the cheapest price.A year from now you might have a cheap Ferrari rider. You might also have the biggest mistake you ever made. Short pockets need not apply.

2. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott

Agree..that's a beast of a powerplant. Without taking measurements, I'd say the ideal home would be one of those engineless 250 GTE's or 330 2+2's.

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Guys,

I'm not sure what everyone is expecting but that car is a standard condition used Ferrari it's not too bad, unfortunately not worth bringing back right now. Most 400s are very expensive to maintain and cheap to buy. Like most cars in this condition it will take at least $10k to make it reliable, this is the same for any v-12 2+2, you may be lucky but you should budget for it. Don't cut corners on maintainance because if you do you will have junk.

The problem with this car is that there are 400s in much better condition for not much more money (2+ condition 5 speeds are 30 - 35k).

Regards,

Art S.

4. Porsche944

Porsche944 Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Brian JJ Feraudo
    Hey:

Just got back from Sports and Imports in Neptune, NJ. A fellow F Chat member wanted me to go check it out for him. So I got up this morning, got ready and took a ride over to the mini dealer.

I was greeted with an array of cars such as a BMW M3, Lexus SC450, and tons of other "non ferrariesque" cars. And in the back was a tan colored Ferrari. I then walked into the office of the dealer and asked for Adam. Adam was a very nice young guy who was supposed to meet me to check out the car.

We then walked to the car..I checked it out...very clean on the outside with a few paint chips, and I thought from the pictures on eBay the vent in the front was white..and it was silver.

Then the fun part came. Trying to get it running. I thought it would start right up, but no. First he tried to jump it and nothing. Then, he hooked it up a Subaru WRS RS 2.5 and suprisingly , that was dead as well..Looked like an 04-05 Subby and it was dead. Then there was an old Volvo station wagon, and he drove it up, hooked the two cars up and it started after a few tries.

From the inside of the car, its like a mustard yellow color, which isnt to my tastem but it was okay. Few scratches on the leather? I guess they would be scratches or scuffs. Where the AUTOMATIC shifter is, the piece where it sits was lifted up a little bit. First problem I saw other then the interior and exterior cosmetic problems.

When the thing started up, it wasn't as loud as I thought a V12 would be but it was nice. We then backed it up and took it for a ride. Much smoother then my Porsche 944. Didn't see any problems driving, and suprising, we passed a few construction workers, and I thought they would at least look at the car passing by and not even a second look.

We then pulled into the dealer again and parked. He didnt turn it off but we put it in reverse and that was perfect. I was asked by the FChat member to listen for any noises when going backwards and not a peep, just the normal reverse noise as in other cars. Other then that , besides what has been said in the thread, car is okay.

Exterior - 7
    Interior- 7
    Driving on a smooth road - 9 ( not ten lol, because the workers didnt look at a v12 coming down the road)
    Adam the salesman - 10
    Dealer - 8 ( little crowded and had cones and ropes to the cars) Thought it would be gated, having a Ferrari and other high priced vehicles

Overall 8 B+ Total

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Nice write up. It is great to have local people willing to take time out of their schedule to review potential cars for others here on Fchat. I'm not in the market, but really like the way you describe the car's interior, exterior, and mechanical condition.
    BT

6. Porsche944

Feb 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Brian JJ Feraudo

I live in Freehold, but my shop is in Bradley Beach, right next to Neptune, NJ where the car is at. I pass the place everyday. I would have never known the Ferrari was there. It was hidden in the back.

7. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Thanks for taking the time to check it out. I am looking for a 400i or 2+2 F car for my wife as a daily driver during the spring thru fall months (Landcruiser for the winter/snow months is her ride for now). So I shall again say "thanks" for the effort you gave and will consider...............Tix for Staind are being sought!!!!!! Kerry

8. Porsche944

Feb 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Brian JJ Feraudo
    I get to check out a Ferrari thats on my way and I get free Staind tickets!! Hell ya

9. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    FWIW, I'm pretty sure I saw that car on the road last summer in Little Silver(how many brown 400's could possibly be around?).

My friend bought his 996 Ducati from that dealer and was happy with the deal.

10. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I'm glad you had a better experience with Adam than I did. I first saw that car when it came on eBay about a month ago and being a shop owner, I had some interest in the car as a daily driver. I figured since we could do everything here in house I could get away with not infusing too much cash into the car, so I gave him a call... Not more than twenty seconds into the conversation he totally blew me off saying that basically he had more important things to do than talk to some guy from Ohio about a $17K car he had on his lot and that unless I was going to come out there to see the car, he didn't have the time for me. So that was all it took for me to walk away!

In the meantime, as some of you know, I've sold my GT4 and replaced it with the black '82 GTSi that was on eBay a couple weeks ago. Think I did better anyways and only spent a few thousand more. ;)

Cheers,
    Aaron

11. Porsche944

Feb 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Brian JJ Feraudo
    I didnt see that at all , BUT...once I told him I was looking at the car for another person from FChat...I guess he got a little pissed..but oh well :-\

12. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John

13. Porsche944

Feb 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Brian JJ Feraudo
    Note to self: He said its been sitting there for 2 months

14. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    #39 aleventhal, Mar 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Coulda been my brown 400i daily driver also....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #40 dstacy, Mar 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That car is beat up BAD.

The dealer doesn't know these cars yet makes claims that lead you to believe he does....

"only 500 produced" nope, sorry there were more than that.

Shock problems, needs brakes, big dent, broken front cowling, and on and on.
    Rear rotors need replacing yet only the pads were done. So we cut corners and admit it.
    Check the price on cap & wires that he says need to be replaced.
    "Tires are ok"...read that as "You're going to spend $2,000 to make it safe"
    Big dent in the fender and the front hood area is real rough.

Look at the condition of the spare tire and wheel. That should tell you all about the care this car has had.

Contact Peter Sweeney at Forza and tell him to find you a nice one.

Dave
    '80 400i #31243
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Porsche944

Feb 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Brian JJ Feraudo
    The car drove reallly nice from the "problems"....It was an experience...it was fun...

AND YES HE DID SAY HE NEW NOTHING ABOUT FERRARIS...and I asked him if he says if ever had them there, and he said no... :-\

17. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    oops! Guess I misread the ad then...

Dave