400i Exhaust Question | Page 2 | FerrariChat

400i Exhaust Question

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by oldcoin, Apr 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    After all this time, do you still have the cut up old mufflers?
    Greg

2. Cazna

Cazna Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I've replaced mine on the 365 with a set from Mille Miglie here in Sydney, Australia.
    Fantastic exhaust note and sound and great service. Here is the link to their web site if this helps.
    Mille Miglia - Porsche and Ferrari Performance Exhausts
    I believe they supply to most countries.

3. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Their website doesn't have a photo, do you?

4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #29 bjwhite, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Zedtt

Zedtt Formula Junior

May 29, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Terry
    #30 Zedtt, Sep 8, 2015
  6. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Maybe a bit low at front end of rear muffler,otherwise perfectly normal. Could be it's missing a few rubbers on the mid-section.

7. Zedtt

Zedtt Formula Junior

May 29, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Thanks.

8. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Definitely. How is the clearance further forward? These systems are very heavy and they need all of the support from the hangers they can get.

9. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    There is supposed to be a rubber donut right about even with the rearward most point of the rear wheel to the pipe on each side.

10. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    I sent an email to Mike at TimeValve to see if they had a 412 system, since it is not listed on their site. Mike replied they do not have a 412 system, and the mid section is different for a 400 vs 412. If I were to eliminate the cats, and go from the end of the headers, would the 400 system fit?

11. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    The 400's have 3 units in the mid-section where as the 412's only have 2 units. Also, the 400's had little side balancing pipes coming off the headers & entering into the 1st units of the mid-section. Ferrari eliminated those on the 412's along with one of the mid-section silencers.
    These cars are really quiet with all those silencers, a # of people have commented about that to me. The 400 mid-sections weigh around 120 lbs. & many owners here have elected to eliminate them & run straight pipes from the headers to the rear resonators.

Ferrari 400i (1983 Mechanical) - Exhaust System: Page 015 | Order Online Eurospares

Ferrari 412 (Mechanical) - Exhaust System: Page 016 | Order Online Eurospares

12. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    That is exactly what I did and it worked beautifully. A nice sound but not so loud as to be annoying on longer drives. When I had Amerispec fabricate the system, they installed the cats that I needed at the time in the mid section but these were removable and replaced by "test pipes" (<cough, cough, wink, wink> as soon as the emissions test was passed. Even with just the cats in the middle it was too quiet for my tastes.

One of the first 400is that I looked at had a Tubi exhaust system and it sounded gorgeous, although I don't know what exactly was in place for the middle section.

13. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    Thanks for the link to the Eurospares site. Jay had referred to them, but I had not looked it up. The figures make it really clear the differences in the 400 and 412 mid sections.
    I should take a picture, but what I have is the cats, then two long tubular mufflers each side, probably glass packs, to the stock pipes past the axle and up to the rear resonators and twin tips. One cat has evidence it has been cut open and emptied, while the other sounds intact, using a rap test. John, since you are in MA, I should come and hear your car in person!

14. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I remember seeing Tubi's available back in '07 with middle sections, little pipes, the whole 9 yards.....
    I just couldn't stomach the $12K+ for 'em back then :(

Looks like they cut out the middle section, attached the cats to your extisting silencers, & then reinstalled them.

I recently had a car that all of a sudden stopped running. After the shop removed the cat, they got it running again. Their inexpensive fix for it, hollow out the cat & reinstall.

15. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Flowmaster makes the Cats and they are available at Summit Racing Equipment on the web. If you are in a state that requires any kind of "sniffer" test you'll need them to work. Missouri does not have such a test but I replaced mine anyhow. They and the car work just fine together. The Cats are about $100.00 each and the Summit p/n is MPE-94008.
    You'll also need the Cats to work if you ever sell the car into a State with "sniffer" tests.
    Greg

16. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    ...back to a rear silencer not a resonator. I do not know the origin of my polished SS units, but Dave Stacy has posted several times the the part number of ones that he has. (I think Flowmaster). Mine is a bit louder than I would like. I plan to add cats this winter and hope that will take a little edge off the sound, which comes a lot directly from the long 2 1/2" SS pipes under the passenger compartment.
    Ken

17. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    Having bought the Summit catalytic converters my next question before going to the exhaust guy is, are the gaskets on the header to cat flanges a standard part or am I going to have to order them ahead of time? No, the shop I am going to doesn't have a bunch of Ferrari parts in stock...what did you guys do here?
    BTW found why the exhaust sounded like a noisy 6 cyl Mustang...hole in the pass side cat outlet pipe...

18. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    My car already had the Flow Master cats so the flange gaskets were a standard part. Someone previous to me had installed the matching flange on the Ferrari tubes aft the cats, probably when the car was Federalized. Flow Masters being common parts I presume any shop would have the mateing flanges and gaskets.
    Greg

19. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    The cats from Summit have round pipes..."slip fit" per the description. I will have to go from the trianular flange on the header collectors to each inlet of the cats with a custom flange from the 1 1/2 " header to 2" cat. Outlets will likely weld to the mufflers.

20. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    #45 57Wayne, Sep 29, 2015
    Took a photo of the exhaust flange area last night. I think this is a flange specific to these headers, but maybe not. I have not had custom exhaust work done before; I did my own systems with Flow Master and Magnaflow parts. For anyone who has had their exhaust guy change / install new cats or test pipes, what did you have to do for gaskets here?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    NAPA P/N 31401.
    O'Reilly Auto Parts P/N EG24015 @ $2.29 each.
    Greg

22. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    Great! Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for!

23. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    #48 57Wayne, Oct 27, 2015
    Got the Summit sourced cats installed. The gasket issue was dealt with by my exhaust guy by not removing the flanges. Cut and welded in place...including the tops! Not as pretty as I'd like but good enough and it sounds so much better. I'll get at it and clean up a little bit. Meanwhile, the engine should like it better as both sides have the same back pressure now.

24. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Wayne (or someone with straight pipes and cats): would you mind posting a short short sound clip/video of the car's sound with this set up?

I'd like to add a bit more sound to the car, but would like to keep cats for CA emissions.

Thanks!

Ruben

25. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    Ruben,
    Will try this weekend. Weather isn't so good right now, just cold and wet, but weekend is supposed to be ok.
    WT