400i Exhaust Question | FerrariChat

400i Exhaust Question

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by oldcoin, Apr 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oldcoin

oldcoin Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Tony Mitchell
    Not to be a tease, but I have a question for anybody who has installed an exhaust system on their 400. The exhaust system is made up of a total of 6 mufflers and 2 resonators. The 2 resonator assemblies are a right and left assembly, they cannot be reversed, the other 2 assemblies, lets call them muffler packs appear to be identical. Are they really identical or is there a right and a left. I have a reason for asking

Thanks, Tony

2. Trachsel

Trachsel Karting

Aug 8, 2008
    Muri BE
    For 400 gt and 400i the systems for left and right are different; 412 has similar central mufflers.

3. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    I've installed OEM correct center mufflers (2 inlets, 3 mufflers, 2 outlets). Boy are they heavy! I see nothing about them that is different. They should work on either side. The brackets for the hangers are the same on each side. The inlets and outlets are centered. The header flanges are the same.

Al

4. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    #4 kliko312, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Tony,

On the exhaust system I recently installed on my car (400i GT) the left and right center sections are identical.

regards, Jan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Kliko, is there a crossover pipe that connects between the two pipes on the left side and a crossover between the two pipes on the right side? I'm not asking if there is crossover that goes all the way across the entire car, just a short one on each side. Thanks.

6. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Jim
    There are three crossover pipes on each side; they are called mufflers. If any balancing of flow and pressure is going to occur it will happen there.
    Ken

7. oldcoin

oldcoin Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Tony Mitchell
    #7 oldcoin, Apr 29, 2009
    400i guy, I have removed the original system and it is way heavy. The Strebo system is probalby 40% lighter. When my original system came off, both sides seemed identical. On the new system the pipes that connect to the headers were everso slightly different lengths and slightly canted. I am trying to find a picture and will post it if I find it.

Kliko, I see from your pic that you got the same system as I did. In your picture, if you look ath the flanged end on the muffler that is on the bottom, you may see what I mean.

AKjim, There is no crossover pipe on the Stebro system. the original had a crossover between the first and second muffler. There may be a crossover hiding in a muffler, but I don know if anyone knows for sure except Stebro. I think the entire system is straigt pipe, but I didn't look at mine close enogh before I installed it.

Here is a picture of the muffler package before I installed. Note that the inner pipes are slightly longer. When I did the install, I hung 1 section and it did not mate up to the header, I changed the mufflers from one side of the car to the other and they mated up nicely. Now hoever, the resonator sections are contacting the car as they pass over the rear A arms:

8. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    #8 kliko312, Apr 29, 2009
    Jim,

No, there are no crossover pipes between the two pipes in each individual system apart from the mufflers. I concur fully with Ken.

My car used to have a pipe which connected the left and right system, it was part of an emission control system. A pump used to blow fresh air via a single pipe, then via a Y-pipe into both left and the right exhaust system.

I removed all the emission control components including the cathalic convertors (see pictures below) and installed the new system. The new system does not have a connection between the left and right exhausts and the engine runs a lot smoother with the new system. It makes a big difference.

Jan

9. kliko312

kliko312 Karting

May 21, 2008
    NLD
    Full Name:
    Graaf
    Oldcoin,

Just out of curiosity; did you paint the exhaust system black or did you keep the stainless steel look?

Jan

10. rebirthauto

rebirthauto Karting

Mar 25, 2007
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Sebastien
    I may have a spare brand spanking new Stebro system if anyone is interested. PM me if you'd like.

Sebastien

11. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
    All those pics make me want to scream for straight pipes. Yikes. :):) Any reason for all those mufflers?

12. Big N

Big N Karting

Jul 30, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Niall
    +1
    Is the noise intolerable?
    Would the neighbours know exactly what times I come & go? (no late night rendez-vous)

Think Dave mentioned he had straight pipes...

13. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, lots of mufflers and also weight! My current setup has one set of double mufflers on each side going into the Ferrari factory resonator/tailpipes at the back. Currently I have "test pipes" installed ahead of the double mufflers with the catalytic converters residing comfortably in my garage as my 1983 400i is exempt from emissions testing in CT. The noise with the test pipes is pretty sporty and not intrusive for longer drives according to people who have been in the car, especially with the windows up. The car is significantly quieter, too quiet imo, with the cats installed.

The stock setup of three stages of mufflers PLUS the resonator/tailpipes stage is overkill to me.

John

14. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    #14 400iGuy, Apr 30, 2009
  15. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    my understanding, and please correct me if i'm wrong (Rifledriver), is that the bypass pipes are there to aid in sound (volume) reduction.

...but i have that from a custom muffler guy, not the Factory. to me it seems that it could also have advantages where back pressure is concerned.

but hey, whadda i know ?

16. Big N

Big N Karting

Jul 30, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Niall
    Most likely emissions, hotter air from headers helps burn off any hydro-carbons (unburnt fuel) in exhaust. Hence cleaner exhaust gasses

17. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    but it's the same on the 365GT4 2+2 and the 400...neither of which gave much thought to emissions control.

i really couldn't say for sure...

18. Big N

Big N Karting

Jul 30, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Niall
    Would also heat the cats up quicker; but again why 365 & 400?

19. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Mordalo
    My car and several others have two straight pipes from the collectors back to resonator/mufflers behind the rear wheels. My mufflers appear to be ANSA and are polished stainless or chrome. Dave Stacey uses a US sourced muffler in the same location and more easily replace then mine would be.

As for sound, I have been told from those driving behind me (FCA members) and one person cycling along the road that the car sounds fantastic. It gives some noise in the car but on long trips it is never an issue and if I had the right neighbors they would love to know I was going out for a ride.
    Ken

20. oldcoin

oldcoin Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Tony Mitchell
    Bretski and 400iguy, I think the tiny little "wing pipes" appeared on all or nearly all front engined Ferraris as fat back as the 330 GTC. I don't see how they could reduce noise, they could perhaps modify or sweeten the sound. I suspect they are a tuning feature to increase power or to button up a torque hole.

Kliko, I left the stainless naked, I like the look.

Tony

21. oldcoin

oldcoin Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Tony Mitchell
    I re-hung the exhaust system tonight. The system was touching the underside of the car in 3 places. It touches no more, and I am much happier with the sound. It sound like I am driving my 6cyl E type with another E type rign next to me.

Tony

22. new ulm 400i

new ulm 400i Karting

Sep 1, 2007
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Lee Atkinson
    re: the crossover pipes...at least in theory, these should help performance. The 400 pipes are small (only 1.75" each) to thread thru the suspension in the rear. The theory is that the crossover would allow any firing cylinder to evacuate thru either of the 2 pipes. One on hand, its a surprise that Stebro did not put in the x-over, oto my bet is that the sharp 90' angle is not really great for flow...

The 400 exhaust is really not much more than a long glass-pack; there are no baffles or chambers in the exhaust, they are straight flow-thru from end to end.

My factory exhaust had rusted in places, but strangely the front 2 mufflers (the ones that are usually replaced with cats during federalization--my car obviously came in by an exemption) seemed to be completely coated along the insides and were non-functional as mufflers...I found a set of stainless take-offs (perfect condition first-2 mufflers taken off for someone else's EPA certificate, I'm sure.) but will actually go back with 3.5x7" Magnaflow mufflers. The Magnaflow are smaller bodies than the original 3.5x9" 400 mufflers, but the good news is that the 2-to-1 (part number 11148) is basically a Y-pipe and muffler in one...So 2 each on each side (2 to 1, then reverse 1 to 2 before going to the rear mufflers) should work. Making the straps to hold as original and bending pipes will be the bigger challenge...Lee

23. new ulm 400i

new ulm 400i Karting

Sep 1, 2007
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Full Name:
    Lee Atkinson
    #23 new ulm 400i, May 25, 2009
    Btw, I weighed the muffler set; each side (not including the rear mufflers and pipes) is 60 lb. I cut open the front muffler;
    - each muffler is basically (2) parallel mufflers wrapped together. The outer shell is ~16 gauge, with an asbestos-looking wrap over the pair of mufflers. The inner mufflers are even thicker steel, probably 14 gauge.
    - the 20mm header bypass pipe doesn't flow thru ! The front half of the first muffler only provides a chamber 20mm header pipe, at least on this 1983 muffler the main pipe only flows thru. You can see the main pipe (sorry, the lead is cut off the front) is solid on the front half, however I have another (undetermined year) where the main pipe is perforated for the length inside the muffler. But as my car shipped, there only the rear half of the fronts have any stainless packing.

24. oldcoin

oldcoin Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Tony Mitchell
    Lee,
    Great job. Does it look to you like the little side pipes just kind of pointed towards the perforated part?

Tony

25. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Gentleman, for further insite to mufflers, please go to the "vintage" catagory, and read about the 365 GTB/4 Ansa thread.
    Gary Bobileff