400i Dail Driver Update - Load Levelers Blow up! | FerrariChat

400i Dail Driver Update - Load Levelers Blow up!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by aleventhal, Jul 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aleventhal

aleventhal Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    #1 aleventhal, Jul 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's been a while since I posted an update on my 1984 400i daily driver (#49773), which see everyday use through all four seasons. The car has been great since the winter (and shows no rust from winter use) and all has been well this spring and summer until I drove it into NYC this past Thursday night from my house in the country. Upon arriving in NYC, I noticed the car was riding badly, and the azz was on the ground, and then entire rear of the car was covered in ATF. Uh-oh, load levellers blew up.

You can see the ATF on the back of the car, the bumper and on the passenger tail pipe in the first two photos - and note the azz is on the ground - and yes - I really do park in on the street outside my apartment in NYC when I am too lazy to walk back from my garage.

The cause of the failure was a blown hydraulic return line. The fix was a peice of fuel hose and two hose clamps - about a half hour and all was well again - pumped right back up - see the photos on my front lawn in the country to see the diff in ride height (and a good wash).

Just thought everyone would appreciate the update - not sure if I should cross post this on the general discussion forum - think anyone would be interested in a year round daily driven 400 other than us 400 nuts?

Alex

Dino #10704
    365bb #18265
    400i #49773
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Let's be thankful it wasn't the shocks themselves. NLA from Koni as new parts.

So the pump seems to be ok?

Alex, since I don't have that system on my 400; a question...
    Are the lines a combo of steel (brake type) lines and rubber hoses with fittings that allow for the travel? All steel? Or all rubber?

PS - What is the cool yellow station wagon in the background?

3. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    #3 aleventhal, Jul 10, 2006
    David:

Yup - happy the shocks are cool, at least for now. To answer your questions, the high pressure lines are steel (like brake lines) while the low pressure hose that blew is a mixture of steel and rubber. The section that blew was a ~12" section of rubber hose by the little shock looking thing that determines the level. Replaced it and all is well - pump is fine.

The wagon is a 1978 Jeep Cherokee - the old big body style, it is essentially a two door Wagoneer. It is a base model with no radio or carpets, and a straight six with a three speed stick - it is four wheel drive though (once you get out and lock the hubs). It is a cool truck - it brought home 1k pounds of creek stone two weeks ago.

Thanks,

A

4. Pranucci

Pranucci Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    Carpinteria, CA
    Looks like the Cherokee is keeping the rust away from the 400!

5. hskasimir

hskasimir Karting

Apr 5, 2006
    Berlin
    Full Name:
    Howard Sheronas
    #5 hskasimir, Jul 11, 2006
    I just love that color on the 400i. For some reason a lot of people don't like it. I think it's very elegant, especially on the 2+2's. The only color,I think, that I like even more is a non-metallic dark brown which they used in the sixties. But I've never seen a 365/400/412 with it.
    I've included two pictures of my 365 Gt4 which I took on a 2000 mile trip from Berlin down to Italy and back. I still don't know what color that is. I've been waiting for a heritage certificate from Ferrari for over two months now...

Howard

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Howard,

I've never seen one with THREE tail lights.
    Where did that come from?

7. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    pretty much all 365's came with 3 tail lights, although threre are a couple that have two!

8. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    No need to wait for the Heritiage Certificate, the color is called Marrone Mettalizatto - literally translated to brown mettalic. Hope this helps,

Alex

9. hskasimir

hskasimir Karting

Apr 5, 2006
    Berlin
    Full Name:
    Howard Sheronas
    Yes, Dave, Andrew is right - basically all 365 GT4's came with three taillights. However, there's one guy with a red 365, who frequently joins in on some of the threads - his car has the double headlight setup of the 400. Nobody knows why that is, though...
    Alexander, your car is marrone metallizato - mine is more of a gunmetal grey. I've looked through the various colors that were used for Ferraris and there must be at least 30 different tones of dark grey or charcoal mettalic.
    I know, the pictures are a bit confusing in that sunset light...

Howard

10. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    Howard - hmmm, in the pic I thought yours was the same color as mine. I do have the color chip book - if you can get me a better picture I might be able to tell you. The other similar tones are grigio ferro, grigio scuro or if there is a little brown then marrone dino or marrano colorado.

Hope I can help,

Alex

11. hskasimir

hskasimir Karting

Apr 5, 2006
    Berlin
    Full Name:
    Howard Sheronas
    Hello Alex,

It's probably very hard to tell the tone of color by looking at pictures on your computer. Even if I manage to produce an accurate picture on my calibrated monitor (I'm a photographer...), the picture that will arrive on your monitor will most likely be a different one...
    I would assume that it's grigio ferro - as I said before, gunmetal grey is really the closest description...
    However, that book of yours sounds very intriguing...does that take all the Ferrari colors into account or is it just for a particular period of time..?
    I remember going onto the Ferrari Owner's website and there was a list of all colors ever used. There must have been at least 200, with probably 30-40 greys...

Howard

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I didn't know that.
    How about that I learned something today.

13. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Yeah..personally I love the concept of the 365 GT/4, but I don't like the triple taillights at all. And I don't like the trunkline of the 412. So that pretty much means that I'll stick with a 400 or 400i (Most likely a series 2 400i).

14. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    That's my 365. I am going to PF on Friday, I'm hoping I can get their documentation on my car while I am there.

15. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    I have the Glidden Salchi Eurolac paint chip book, as was used at the dealers to show colors to customers in the period. Certainly not all the colors ever used, but it is the correct book for your car. Neat item - looked for one for yeas - never seen another.

Alex

16. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    It kinda reminds me of the trick the rodders did to the Corvettes of the 60s. My 64 had them when I got it, but I changed it back to the dual lights, Much cleaner, IMHO.

17. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    I actually think the 3 light setup on the 365 looks better than the 2 light setup on the 400.
    Could be we're more used to 2 lights, since that's what one typically sees, but the 3 light is kinda neat.

18. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I just can't dig the three. Way too fussy back there. Same reason I don't dig the 365 GTC/4. Imagine how great that car would look with the quad taillights instead....

19. hskasimir

hskasimir Karting

Apr 5, 2006
    Berlin
    Full Name:
    Howard Sheronas
    What the hell's wrong with you guys..? The 365 GT4 is the original car and design. And what's the point of arguing about a "fuzzy" setup of taillights..? I've heard that so many times now...
    I don't get it...you guys sound like you're german - zat taillight makes me krazy...

Just kidding,

Howard

20. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    alex...

you're my hero.

a daily driver ferrari into nyc.

if i wasn't the man, you'd so be the man.

21. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    I haven't noticed a poor ride, but my '84 (5 speed) does seem to be riding a bit low in the back. With the car parked on a level hard surface, I measured 26 5/8" to the bottom edge of the top of the rear fender arches. Same on both sides. What is the 'proper' height that these cars should sit at in the rear?

(Indeed the ride is GREAT, but this is my first Ferrari - you mean it could be better?)

22. aleventhal

Jan 11, 2005
    Millbrook, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexander Leventhal
    If the rear is not absolutely on the ground (rear tires tucked in the fenders, etc.) then your system is working. If it seems not level front to back when unladen with the vehicle running (and not just started), then you may need to adjust the system. There is a device under the car attached to the rear sway bar that looks like a small horizontal shock. this is how the system determines what is level / when to raise or lower the suspension. The adjustment procedure is in the workshop manual - but it is also fairly intuitive when you look at it. Hope this helps...

Alex

23. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    Yes, very helpful. Thank you! Oh, that reminds me... I STILL don't have my manuals that I ordered from F-books nearly a month ago. Geez.