400i A/C evaporator | FerrariChat

400i A/C evaporator

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Santa Fe Jeff, Jul 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Santa Fe Jeff

Santa Fe Jeff Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    1982 400i auto

Has anyone removed and possibly photographed the A/C evaporator in our cars? The parts and service manual only shows a box with outlets, no info on the fans or evaporator. How hard is it to remove the evaporator? Complete dash removal?

I'm looking for:
    1) The evaporator make and model number or the dimensions at the very least.
    2) My fans make a lot of commotion but has very little air coming out of the upper center vents. The A/C air is supposed to come out of the four vents on top of the dashboard, correct?

I'm trying to come up with a cunning plan to improve the cooling power of the A/C. It's unfortunately been converted to 134 so it's tepid at best. I'm thinking of either converting back to R-12 or changing the compressor/evaporator/condenser out to a system that is matched to 134.

But I'd still like to understand why the fans make a bunch of racked but doesn't blow much

2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Is the condenser on your car soldered to the radiator?

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    1. You do have to remove the whole dashboard in order to access the evaporator.
    2. The evaporator unit itself seems specific to Ferrari, the motor can be replaced (see links below)
    3. The blower mesh screen (meant to capture the water droplets) is often clogged which spoils the airflow, I removed it entirely, works great now. Some do upgrade it (see links below)
    4. R134a is not such a good idea unless the original oil was fully flushed. You'd better use R416 which is R134a plus a bit of propane that can "soften" the old petroleum based oil. Alternatively you can use pure proprane (a.k.a Envirosafe, Freeze 12 , Duracool, HyChill). If you use R134, you should also replace the expansion valve so as to use one that is properly calibrated to R134.
    Here are a few links :