400i 5-Speed arrives- First day on the road... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

400i 5-Speed arrives- First day on the road...

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by full_garage, Feb 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The YOU, my brother- Need to take a road trip down south to visit! (Actually I'll be in Toronto this summer but in a rental car...)

2. Glaverbel911

Glaverbel911 Karting

Feb 20, 2010
    Neustadt ADW/Toronto
    Full Name:
    R. Groß
    Jay,, I'm 20 minutes north from the airport and Brett's shop is only another 20min. further north.. Come over when your here and we'll make a day of it.. I've also never met Brett and am really looking forward to a visit.

I'll send you a PM with my contact info..

Best,, Robert

3. GreggG

GreggG Karting

Jul 14, 2008
    New Jersey
    Jay,

I have had many similar experiences regarding people's reactions to the 365. I don't think that I've every stopped to fill up at the gas station without having had to entertain questions from someone--whether it be the gas attendant, passers-by or the guy in the minivan who kept me there for an extra 15 minutes getting the full history and telling me about this vintage Healey. Lot's of thumbs-up and smiling faces. There's definately something special about these cars. I think one is viewed more as a connoisseur of something fine and vintage. It helps too that there are so few seen on the roads. Looking forward to hearing your opinions on the differences and similarities between the 400 to the 412...

4. maxg765

maxg765 Rookie

Feb 8, 2011
    Full Name:
    Max Gruenberg

Hello Jay,

While I don't own one of these yet I have been doing some research and speaking to shops/mechanics.

I learned that most of the 365/400/412's have the fuel smell issue. I was informed that its a known issue for the model. The solution is a small modification to the fuel tank breather hose. Something about changing it to a different position.

I can try an find out more about it or perhaps someone in know can better inform on this.

Regards

Max

5. suicidedoors1964

suicidedoors1964 Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    Basically the problem is when you are filling the tank on the driver's side, the fuel is being cross fed to the passenger tank and then it will come out of the top of the passenger tank vent hose. If the vent hose is not perfectly sealed and in reality none of them are, fuel will then leak and cause the gas smell. As Max states, you could look at re-routing the passenger side vent hose. Once you pull the carpet out of the trunk and then fill up the car while watching the vent hoses you will see the problem and then can decide how you want to solve it. I solved it by making sure all the vent lines had a hard seal and then never top off the tanks as this will cause a large quantity of fuel to go into the passenger side vent hose.

6. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I do smell just a touch of gas underneath the car- probably the vent hose - and the "normal" 400/412 fuel smell in the trunk-

I'll take it apart and see what's what.

7. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    good job jay! looks great!

8. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    OK She is mostly sorted.

First thing was the fuel smell- The big feed hose that links the right hand tank to the fuel filler was bulging and very dark so I replaced it-which is a heck of a job with rear mounted A/C- when I finally got to that center mounted junction box I found a busted hose clamp! Love it when the solution presents itself on the FIRST turn of a wrench- Put it back together, added 10 gallons of gas and NO fuel smell.

Loosened up all the exhaust clamps, tried to get those big Stebro boxes to hang right and I think I got it a little bit better- But the pull of the rubber donuts keeps sucking it back up tight to the floor. I need a guy with a lift and a torch to get this system to hang right- It's like 90% better but I'm getting a really loud resonance in the cabin at 2500 RPM and I think it's still vibration from the exhaust system. We have some weather coming back to New England- so 1st of March I'll let Darrin at Boston Sports Car take a crack at it. I did replace all of the busted rivets holding the floorpan shields to the frame, and that helped some.

Gave the relay panel a good once over again with some contact cleaner and now my windows are FAST, lights a bit brighter and everything working well. I have a set of new Tyco relays coming this week and will replace EVERY SINGLE 28 year old Bosch relay- which I expect will do wonders for some of the voltages I'm seeing with my meter.

Did a little over 100 miles today- The car is just so comfortable- great driving position for us tall guys and those great big soft seats- fabulous. While my exhaust noise is still a bit intrusive when on throttle- the car is very quiet- no real wind noise and even road noise is quite good- and of course the sound of that engine is always exciting. When these are sorted they are really contemporary cars- With a brand new interior my car smells and looks fresh, fires into life on the first turn, idles like a champ and pulls like a freight train. The benefit of the Series II and later cars is a set of good dash-mounted vents- so fresh air flow is excellent.

My only real problem is self inflicted- I snapped the ONE and ONLY key off in the ignition. Luckily it was in front of home Depot so I got a needle nose pliers to start the car and get home- Blanks on their way....

9. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Every piece of paper that came with my '84 had "fuel smell" written on it.
    Be sure to replace the gasket under the fuel level sending unit. It is located under the carpet, in the trunk and on passenger's side. Mine was so hard it would not bend let alone seal. There was actually an orange trail running from the sender to the bottom of the tire well.
    A new gasket is about 8 bucks.
    Greg

10. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Yeah every 400/412 I've looked has a dozen of the "Customer complains of fuel smell in cabin" repair orders...along with the "slow windshield wipers"...A/C not blowing cold... "Slow Windows".

This car has all the big 2" fuel hoses replaced with new clamps- But all the hidden stuff was 28 years old- I caught the single broken clamp- Those of you who own these cars- Not a bad idea to go through ALL the clamps in the trunk and ensure they are tight and intact.

Fuel sender gasket looks new on mine.

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Looks great Jay, enjoy it in good health.

12. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    So did mine.
    I presume the look of the gasket is the reason all those previous guys missed the gasket's hardness in my car.
    Think about how the tires get hard and add fuel to the equation.
    It took me 40 years to figure out this leak in my 356B.
    For what it is worth,
    Greg