400 Prototype replacement for sale... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

400 Prototype replacement for sale...

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Pyrford Ranger, Sep 23, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The Allante was a Pf design and build for GM. If a good design element isn't used in one project then why not apply it somewhere else?

Jeff

2. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I'll say it.
    It's ugly and wierd looking. A styling mule that deservedly was shot down.
    The front and rear seemingly belong to different cars and the gimmicky interior in the worst 80's fashion. The only pleasing line is the C pillar which is so familiar.
    Fully functioning my a**. It may motivate but I want to see the side windows go down.
    I wonder how cobbled up this poor thing is under all that shiny paint.
    This would been better off left to rot in PF's backyard.

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1

4. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i couldn't disagree more...that car would be stunning on the road, mingling with all the generic looking, 'Banglized', cookie cutter 'luxury' sedans of today.

unfortunately, there is no possiblity of me owning it...but if i could be Napolis for a day, then it would be my Dino 'evoluzione'.

5. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Another didagreement here. You are looking at the car today instead of viewing it in the context of when it was initially shown. At that time is was a heralded design by the professionals and even got a personal message from Enzo to Sergio of congratulations upon its debut. The story of the message is well known because it was at a dinner prty with some industry people and auto journalists.

Now I will agree that there are items that would have been developed much further if the car had of become a production vehicle. As for operable windows with very small cleanances to the door skin Giugaro had shown the way with some ingenious solutions some years before.

It could have been developed into a worthy successor for the 412. As it was there was a significant period between the 412 and the all market compliant 456.

Jeff

6. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Jeff, I agree - styling cues of this model have found their way on many '80s car, the Alfa 164 is an obvious example but also the Opel Senator has a suspiciously similar looking front. Back then it was very new and different.
    I must also agree that it hasn't aged all too well though, and indeed the interior is quite awkward. This goes for many late '70's and '80s designs imho. It was a difficult time for most manufacturers.

I guess since this car was never intended for anything else than show, Ferrari still has not built a four door vehicle, am I correct?

7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    No series production 4 door. Not quite sure if in the earliest days there had been a one off 4 door with some 166; probably not but just not certain.

Jeff

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    #33 donv, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
    Depends on how you define "series production." Ferrari made at least 7 four door sedans based on the 456, and I believe 7 five door wagons based on the 456 as well.

EDIT: Wikipedia claims 2 456 sedans, and 7 wagons. I don't know if they are right.

9. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Don,

You are correct. I was thinking older and completely neglected these that were built for the Sultan of Brunei and/or Prince Jeffri.

Jeff

10. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I have loved the Pinin since it came out, I actually still have a Ferrari press release on the car with some Pininfarina B&W photos. Its sooo exotic and so different I just love it. I would venture to say the car should bring at least $500k-$750k.

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I think the car is bad a$$ to the bone! To bad they didn't go into production with it. The could have made both 2&4 door versions.

12. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Indeed it's a matter of definition; I believe those do not count as Ferrari 4-door cars as they were all made by Pininfarina on the basis of 456 coupes. In a way the subject of this thread comes closer to that definition since it was commissioned by the factory and not by a customer, albeit never finished to a running car by Ferrari itself.

I guess the auction result will show how the market perceives it. If the recent auction of the BMW Spicup is any guide (460k EUR), it is bound to do pretty well.

13. Pyrford Ranger

Pyrford Ranger Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2011
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    they've put an estimate on it now and its at £500,000 or $750,000 or Euro600,000

14. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    I like it, I want it.
    Love the rims.
    Glass like a 2010, Hundai, ahead of its time.
    Like the car phone.

Edwardo

15. 911rcr

911rcr Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I think PF used a similar wheel treatment on the TR based Mythos.

16. 911rcr

911rcr Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    bigodino,

In the third picture from the bottom, there appears to be another prototype in the background. Am I seeing that correctly?

Thanks!

17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Really looks that way, but must be the reflection in the window - see other pics.

18. andyro

andyro Rookie

Jul 15, 2010
    Zürich -Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Andy Rottmann