400 owners | Page 2 | FerrariChat

400 owners

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by dstacy, Feb 9, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #26 dstacy, Feb 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Take a look at the picture of my car.
    You'll notice the resevoir for the SL system in the engine compartment isn't there.
    Once I get it home I'll take some really good pictures so all of you can see what my non SL system equipped 400i looks like.

I'd like to know how many like mine are out there, and why my car wasn't built with the system. Sure wish there was a way to contact the factory and find out about the intial customer order for my car.

Dave
    '80 400i #31243
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    We've yet to do this on a 400 but as soon as I find a willing victim/customer, will be replacing with a set of normal springs and shocks (prob a bylstein/spax set up) & removng the hydraulic plumbing with a CNC fabed cap over the cam drive.

Dave can you post a pic of the cam drive solution on your car?

3. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Dave, I hope to see what the front of the right cam area looks like without the pump. Any chance you've taken a look at the rear shocks to see what they look like? Are they Koni?

Anyone have thoughts on using the Koni's for the 400 pre-load lever as shown in the Koni catalog?

It also looks like the AC has been converted to R134. Did you do that or have it done? If so, was it as painless as some people claim (although with the rear leveler pump and reservior in the way getting the compressor our to change the oil doesn't look too easy).

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'll get you a full set of pictures next Monday once I have it here in Houston.
    The rears are indeed Koni shocks.

The a/c was converted by the previous owner. As far as "painless" is concerned, I can tell you I've converted a few cars to 134. It doesn't seem to get quite as cold as R12, but it is close. How tough would it be to convert a 400? As long as you've got the parts, drier, etc. it shouldn't be too bad. It is a York compressor so any decent mechanic should be able to convert it. I agree having the SL pump and resevior in the way looks like it might be a bit of trouble. If you're going to do it yourself and you have the tools I think you'll be ok. But if it has R12 and everything is working don't mess with a good thing. R12 is the best, keep it as long as you can.

Dave
    '80 400i #31243

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #30 dstacy, Mar 14, 2006

Got a few pictures for you guys.

Attached is a diagram of the self leveling system that is NOT INSTALLED on my car. I don't have the reservoir in the front, any of the lines, the servo, etc. It hasn't been removed, it was never there.
    According to the service manual I have the self leveling system didn't start until s/n 42705 (1982 or 1983). The 400's before that serial number had 2 shocks at the rear but without the servo system.

The other 2 pictures show the right rear shocks from 2 different views. One looking back to the rear of the car and one looking to the front of the car. Both shocks are Koni.

Couldn't help but throw up a picture of the car itself :)

Dave
    '80 400i s/n 31243

6. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Can one retrofit the air suspension bags on the 400 to replace the self leveling system original to the car? You would essentially have a modern replacement with the ability to modify ride height.

7. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    #32 400iGuy, Mar 15, 2006
    Dave,

Very interesting shock setup you have. One spring per side!

Here's what mine looks like. I circled the plumbing on the shocks for the hydraulics (via ATF fluid) and the pump driven off of the right intake cam.

Do you just have a plate bolted on to the front of the head where this pump is?

Al
    84 400iA 50605

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    WOW!

So different from mine. These truely are one of a kind hand made cars.

I'll get you a picture of the front of my engine so you can see the difference.

Dave
    '80 400i s/n 31243

9. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    When was that picture with the tire tread in it taken? If that tire is on your car, I would look at it very carefully---it looks very worn and very weak on the inside edge of the tread.

John

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Must be the angle of the picture. The tires on my car are the correct XWX's which have a funny tread at the edge.

Thanks for the concern though.

Dave

11. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #36 dstacy, Mar 21, 2006
    Here is the picture I've been promising.
    Is this the angle you guys wanted? If not just let me know the exact shot you want and I'll take it for you.

Whew! Look at the oil leak I have to fix and clean up. Lots of detailing and cleaning work to be done in the engine bay.

Transmission has been rebuilt. The shift points are off so we'll need to adjust those.

You guys could help me out.....SEE PICTURES
    Looking at the relay board on your cars do you have the last relay to the right in the second row installed?
    It says it is for the LEFT fan motor. Yet both of my FRONT fans are running ok, but not the rear one. Of course I'm missing one of the relays so I suspect that is the problem. Someone told me that the fan between the engine and the radiator (the rear fan) only runs when the a/c is on. Is that true?

Also on the same relay board; if you DON'T have rear a/c do you have the last 3 relays on the right side installed in the bottom row? (the bottom row when the board is in its normal position under the carpeting, etc.)

And lastly, on the small board what is that last relay for? It says "Start Valves- Intermittence" You can see mine is missing.

Thanks for the help,

Dave
    '80 400i s/n 31243

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ya know sometimes I'm so stupid I even surprise myself!

Solution to the above quote =
    1) Run car 'till warm and both front fans kick on.
    2) Remove installed fan relay and put it in the spot of the missing fan relay
    3) Observe that front fans are no longer running and rear fan IS now running.
    4) Call Bosch relay supplier and order new relay.

hehehe what an idiot.

So one problem fixed.
    Can you guys help with the other relay questions?

Dave
    '80 400i s/n 31243

13. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    #38 400iGuy, Mar 22, 2006
    Dave, Thanks for the photo. It looks like you have a different AC compressor mount that covers the front of the head where my pump is. Here are some photos I just took. See if you agree. I threw on one of my 400i too!

Do you have the Electrical Wiring Manual for the 400i? I've found it to be a big help. I found one that was perfect in England on eBay for about $20.

Al
    400iA '84 50605

14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yep, sure looks different to me.
    Do you suppose when they were making the early ones, like mine, they stood around and scratched thier heads 'til someboday said, "Hey, let's use this...it'll work."

Looks pretty nice, I like the color. It is the first one I've seen in a "bright" color.

Uh, um....don't suppose you'd be willing to copy it and trade it for a bottle or 2 of wine would you? Check out www.circlesvineyards.com to see what I do for a living :)

Got the relays in today. Fan works fine now. The relay on the far right is for hot starting, which seems to have cured that problem. I haven't tried the a/c yet.

Dave
    '80 400i s/n 31243

15. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Dave -- The "wiring manual" is available in the back section of your 400i OM (although a nice quality printed copy of just the wiring stuff wouldn't be a bad thing to have if you can find one like Al did). You can download a free .pdf of your OM from:

www.owners.ferrari.com

(once you hassle with registering)

16. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
  17. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    #42 400iGuy, Mar 22, 2006
    I have managed to find color brochures for the 400i and they all are Blu Sera Metalica over tan

PM me an email address and I'll send you a couple scans related to the wiring panel and relays. They came out 1MB a page.

18. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    very cool thread! I love the lines of the 365/400/412. The quintessential executive coupe! I envy all of you. Wish I get my wife to wrap her mind around the looks! Not that I would part with my 308 or anything, but it (the 400 series) is a very cool car. Please post more!

19. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Keep the 308 and get a 400/412 for the long trips or when you need to carry more than a change of underwear or when you have an extra passenger or two : ) My wife thinks it looks like a Ford Fairlane but she's a happy camper on trips because it rides better than the other 3 cars we have.

20. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim

I'm with you.... I got my way with the 308... the next italian she gets to pick. We've been looking at the Maserati coupe but I really want 12 cylinders. I drove a 412 about a year ago and was thinking about buying before someone beat me too it. It was an 88 (last of the series correct). It was a funky light sage green with a crema interior. Shortly after the owner took delivery it hiccuped a rod..... good for me bad for him. Still I was impressed by the ride and how well it handled for such a heavy car. Bravissimo!

21. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Ted Vernon has an 87 412 5-speed for sale in a desirable color scheme. (black on black) for only $26500. Looks decent in the rather small pics. Maybe someone could go have a look.

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/2/8/79376528.htm

I've been looking, but I don't think I can handle the revised trunk layout of the 412 vs the 400.

Does anyone know why they did that? I think it ruins the (rather beautiful) lines of the 365/400/400i.

22. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal
    You're right, the 412 trunk looks a bit too high compared with the 400s. I think I read somewhere it was for aerodynamics purpose but I'm not sure.
    Otherwise, the differences are minor but there are some (front lights down the dumper, seats, ..)
    The 412 gets some more horsepower. In Europe 340 instead of 315.

23. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Who is this guy (Ted) and what is the deal here.
    That 412 was photographed on the feeder road in front of a dealer in Houston, Texas. It isn't on Ted's website, yet his ad says it is in Florida.
    Something smells here.

Dave
    '80 400i s/n 31243

24. Testiroaster

Testiroaster Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Fischler
    The car already sold, not sure what the story was.

25. Brennan

Brennan Karting

Apr 28, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Full Name:
    Brennan Johnson
    I'm not sure if my car is on your list or not; I just purchased it yesterday:

'84 400i #47583
    Sliver w/ black interior
    all original and in great condition
    39,000km
    now home in San Luis Obispo, CA

Brennan Johnson