400 or 412? Automatic or manual ? Carbs or Injection ? | FerrariChat

400 or 412? Automatic or manual ? Carbs or Injection ?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Franc308, Nov 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Franc308

Franc308 F1 Rookie

Sep 23, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Franc
    I have been dreaming about these cars for a while.
    But some (negative) stories have kept me from making that final (positive) decision.
    Could anyone give me some general info on those above questions ? What are the specific pros and cons?

I've heard the 12 cilinder engine is VERY expensive in just normal maintenance, not to even think about the $'s you spend when your beauty starts having technical problems as well.

Are these stories reality ?

How much will I be spending roughly per year on normal maitenance ?

Great if you could give some input on this.
    Thx. Franc

2. KraigG

KraigG Formula 3

May 25, 2006
    Willow Springs
    Full Name:
    Kraig
    Seems to me the 400i engine would require LESS expensive maintenance. The V8 Ferraris have belt driven cams, which need expensive replacing every so often. The 400 engine has chain driven cams. subject to less wear.

My automatic 400i has a simple to repair GM transmission, which can be serviced cheaply. I've heard clutches and manual gearboxes can be a nightmare in a Ferrari.

3. Franc308

Franc308 F1 Rookie

Sep 23, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Franc
    Many thx Kraig!

I hope to receive more info to assist me in making my decision.
    Franc

4. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I have had a 1980 400i automatic since July - it is wonderful. I dreamed for years about getting one, and it has surpassed even my expectations.

The 412s are newer and therefore likely to be in better condition; their styling was updated quite subtly relative to the 400i, but they have a lot more electronics than the early 400i. The 400/400i had levers for releasing the boot and bonnet whereas the later 400i/412 has switches - I understand that these can be a little unreliable.

Automatic/manual - I guess it depends on the type of driving you do - for cruising and heavy traffic the auto box works great, but for more sporty driving the 5-speed might be better. The engine is very torquey, so 2nd in the automatic is great for more spirited driving.

Injected cars keep their tune better than carbed cars, but carbs sound even more wonderful than injected cars. Carbs need to be maintained properly, but are fairly low tech.

My advice would be "go for it!" but make sure to get the best condition/seviced example you can get regardless of exact model/gearbox/fuelling. I wouldn't worry too much about mileage, either.

Aidan

5. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Carbs sound better but you have to be willing to learn how to tune them; NOT easy! In my opinion, the 5 speed is the way to go.

Art S.

6. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Go for it!! I have a 400 Auto I bought 10 years ago almost by accident. I just love it:)

Have a look at www.400register.com (my site) and see chassis 21557 (my car). All the problems and the renovation are listed, along with photos.

If you want a list of points to look out for then let me know and I will post one.

Simon in London

7. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I have driven both a 400 and a 412..412 is by far superior with the manual transmission, imho

8. Franc308

Franc308 F1 Rookie

Sep 23, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Franc

Many thx to you all for your reactions !

Simon, I would very much like to receive that list.
    You could also contact me directly via [email protected]

As you have had your car for 10 yrs or so, could you pls comment on maintenance costs ?
    I would be using the car during spring /summer time only and drive about 4000 miles max per yr.
    What, under normal circumstances do I have to be prepared for, cost wise ?