400 or 400i | FerrariChat

400 or 400i

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by goldsax, Sep 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. goldsax

goldsax Karting

Nov 30, 2005
    i have been offered a 46k miles 1979 400 auto at a good price. it is a good runner, but i am thinking of using it as far as is economically possible and then using the engine as a donor. i know that the 400 produces more Hp then the 400i engine but are there any other advantages and disadvantages?
    thanks

2. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    I have thought of this a lot. Each one has good points.
    The diffrence between the two is fuel deliver and cams,
    the 400 has Weber carbs which have great looks, throttle response and sound . The bad is, pooer fuel milage worse exhoust emmisions and dirty oil and easery chance at running lean with pluged jets.
    The 400I has CIS fuel injection which starts easily give better fuel use, cleaner exhoust and can be a really trouble free systom.
    The bad, throttle response is a little slow and becouse the air metering will not tolerate cam over lap Ferrari had to run cams that do not have the top end and ultimate HP of the Weber carbed engine but the new cams made a smother engine and power lower on the rev band, which helps in a heavy GT car.

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    +1 on all counts!

Plus, the side drafts in the 400 are difficult to get to in order to synchronize and tune. But I'm sure that the sound of all that air rushing in through those intakes compensates for some of those disadvantages. For me, the Bosch K-Jetronic, which was a fixture on countless BMW and Mercedes of the early 80's, and it's reliability was a major reason I chose the 400i. My local service station can adjust the FI for emissions testing in literally less than 10 minutes.

John

4. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Isn't it true that the carbureted 400 was never sold in the USA?

5. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    NONE of the 400/400i/412 series cars were officially imported into the U.S. Every one that came in (legally) had to be brought in through a registered conversion shop and modified to meet DOT and EPA requirements. Many that came in were brought in as used cars and a few were brought in essentially brand new and converted by shops such as Amerispec (Dick Fritz), who had (and still does) an active business bringing gray market cars into the U.S.

John

6. goldsax

goldsax Karting

Nov 30, 2005
    i am tempted by the carbs, as metioned, as they look/sound great. but are they difficult to live with on a semi daily basis?
    ie tuning, cold starts etc, also is milage(petrol) really bad compared to a 400i..
    thanks

7. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    IMO, you can't drive a 400 gt/i like any other old car. It's an all or nothing deal. If you don't plan on putting in the time/money, don't do it. You will hate the experience. These things are really steel and aluminum women. They are a great experience that will reward you with an enriched life IF you tend to their every need. If you just use them without putting anything in, they will punish and torment you. IMO

8. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Is there any difference in the ignition system between the 400 and 400i, e.g. is one mechanical and the other electronic?

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'd bet that you'll find that a lot of 400 and 400i ignition systems have been updated and/or molested since they have about an equal number of sins ;) and based on the reporting here -- so stock-to-stock comparison may not match what you find out there. The 412 has probably the best system (because the Microplex is much more reliable than the Dinoplex, and the advance is handled by no-maintenance non-contact electronics) -- same system as TR and very similar to 328. Per the OMs:

400 (occasional fiddling required in two areas)
    trigger - points inside distributor
    advance - mechanical inside distributor
    electronics - none, high point current fires coils directly

400i (troublesome early electronic reliabilty and still needs occasional mechanical fiddling anyway)
    trigger - breakerless inside distributor (star wheel)
    advance - mechanical inside distributor
    electronics - Dinoplex

412 (better electronic reliabilty and no mechanical servicing, but the ECU is pricey if needed)
    trigger - RPM (ring gear teeth) and TDC (selected notches) flywheel sensors
    advance - controlled by ECU
    electronics - Microplex MED 120B

10. goldsax

goldsax Karting

Nov 30, 2005
    this in one reason why i do not really want to much electronics, incase of replacement and consequent expense
    am i being naive?

11. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Is this star wheel also referred to as a relucer?

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, it could be translated as that (assuming that the detection method in the electronic module is by sensing variable reluctance) -- although that might better be "relucter" or maybe "reluctor".

However, I'd also comment that putting it all in this noun form isn't the best English translation -- but is sort of typical of F's documentation IME. Something like "reluctance wheel" or "reluctance rotor" would be much better IMO, if you wanted to include something about the magnetics in the name.

See page 83 in the 176/79 400i OM or page 75 in the 250/82 400i OM

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    For 400 vs 400i -- I think the potential hassle/pain factor is about equal for the same condition, and you should be worrying more about the suspension system than the ignition system ;)

14. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Could you explain a little more? Do you mean you can let them sit for any length time? Or that they require constant attention even after you "sort" them out? In reference to other Ferraris of the same time period? Just other classics in general? I am curious because I've been banging around the idea of getting a 400i as my second Ferrari...

Thanks.

15. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Not to go off topic here, but the phrase "my second Ferrari" has such a great sound to it, doesn't it?

John

16. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein

LOL! Hadn't thought about it, but yea! Never thought there would be a "my first Ferrari!"

17. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I think this means the car either runs or doesn't. On mechanical points and distributors with mechanical advance, and carbs, something may go amiss but it can limp home. For example, stuck float valves can be banged on and fixed in the field, or a sticky advance will still work albeit badly. With electronic ignition, FI, etc. either you're fine or you're stranded. Complex systems means more attention to detail to keep it reliable.

Ken

18. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    The flip side to your point for example with a carburated engine that has a choke per cyl. it is very hard to till when you have a fuel metering passage plugged and I have seen engines run lean on one cylinder, The owner drives like this a long time some times with very bad results. The injected car will not run and might be what saves the engine.
    But right now with my CIS car is not starting when hot, I want carbs!

19. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Having 12 cylinders masks problems, no doubt about it. When my little 4 banger has a fouled spark plug or something with one cylinder, it's pretty obvious!

Ken

20. billg

billg Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2006
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill Grady
    The car is for driving. It has no upside resale potential. Virtually any major system replacement is a money losing move. Is that okay with you? I replaced the entire suspension in my 400A a couple of months ago, cost $9900, almost half what I paid for the car. That was okay by me. These cars are money pits, but they run great. If you are not willing to accept a negative investment, do something else. That's the bottom line here, no matter what anybody says.

21. pks41805

pks41805 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2007
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Full Name:
    Paul Sloan
    In the past few months the guy that live next door to me has bought his wife a pool, a tanning bed, new lips and tits, and a puppy. In that same time frame I bought a half way decent 400i. It's only money. Go with what makes you happy, and a nice V12 will chase that dream very nicely.

22. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    This thread starting post came across to me as, Goldsax wanting a Ferrari v-12 engine and he happened to get a car with it,

23. goldsax

goldsax Karting

Nov 30, 2005
    #23 goldsax, Sep 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i want to put the engine in this.......
    with all your help here i think i am going to go for the carb 400.
    but if i can get a few good miles out of the 400 that would be an extra bonus..
    thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Here's the way I look at it: I paid $28K for my 5 speed 10 years ago. I've put 13,000 miles on it and a few thousand dollars in maintenance in it over that time. I could probably get my money back or not lose very much if I sold it today. Even if the car is worth zero (hah!) $28K is probably less than one year's depreciation on a new 612.

They're not cheap to maintain, and your upside may be limited, but on the other hand how much downside is there? You could piss away a lot more money on something else and not have any where near as much fun.

Just MHO

John

25. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Hallelujah to that!