400 carbed 5-speed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

400 carbed 5-speed

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by steved033, Dec 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. D.J

D.J Karting

Mar 17, 2015
    Perth WA
    Thanks for the info Gents, you learn something every day. Would be interested to know the Make and part number of the coil over Jim in case my Levelers pack up.

2. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Also because the same/similar units have been used on 365 GT 2+2 and 365 GTC4, there are a good number of posts on the subject in the Vintage section, search with "Leveler" or with "Leveller" (I don't know which is the correct orthography, perhaps both actually).

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    See @Al Campbell comprehensive post on the subject :
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/replace-self-leveling-suspension-with-something-modern-need-steps.527434/#post-144802543

"This car works fine", assuming the listing is true and honest this could mean delayed maintenance but no horror story under the hood. So as long as one can make it do with the tatty look and forget about the incorrect colour, a $10k comprehensive check-up (valve shims, fluids, filters, new hoses, new rubber) could turn this pumpkin into a rare and fun drive.

4. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I would be very careful about making that assumption.

raemin likes this.
  5. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Got them from T Rutlands.

6. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Hi everyone,

I seem to have sparked off quite the discussion on self levelers. Sorry.

What I meant to say was that the older cars does not have the active self levelling system found on Gen 2 400i's and 412 which I believe is an advantage when/if the newer system fails.

Mine (series 1 1980) does have the same "self levelling" system as all other older cars, ie two units in the back (on each side) of which one helps with the stance.

My point was, albeit not clear obviously, that on the car in the pictures the system seem to have had better days. Mine newer sags that way regardless how long it sits. The cars may be different but it may indicate that the system is worn, and as stated above replacement units are difficult too find.

5-speeds with carbs are rare so maybe it is worth the plunge, if the rest checks out.

Sorry for the confusion.

Kind regards
    //Rob

7. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hello everyone. I just noticed that autoepoca.it in Italy has the rear self levellers if anyone needs some. No price listed, but not so cheap I would imagine....

Best to all.
    Mark Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    red27 That's a great find if they are direct Koni replacements. I've emailed them to see what they are and the price....

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Mark, these look to be very similar to what other shops and owners have done. Effectively they create an adjustable coil over setup using Koni shocks as a staring point. Raemin posted a link to what Al Campbell did which I think is quite similar.

Cheers,

Sam

10. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    Yes I purchased one of these adjustable coil over setups from one of the suppliers for my car. When I needed another set for a car I'm restoring I found it was less than 1/2 the price of the first set to just buy the parts listed in the link a few posts above.

Cheers,
    Al

raemin likes this.
  11. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    They are $1,250.00 each. Wow!

12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    we should rename this thread "self levelling suspesions, and how to love them"

:p

sjd

13. Andres_1979

Andres_1979 Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Andres Kormis
    Hi every one, this is my first post. My 1984 400i autom has QA1 rear shocks (I bought with them) and I want to chanche it yo the original spect, do u know if there is any place to find the old Koni shocks like the pict enclosed

Thanks a lot

Andres

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
  15. Andres_1979

Andres_1979 Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Andres Kormis

Thx a lot for the info, unfortunately I didn't find the shocks I need, if someone have a set (4 units) please let me know
    Regards
    Andres