400 briefcase tool kit holder / tray | FerrariChat

400 briefcase tool kit holder / tray

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Newman, Dec 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Im looking for the plastic tray that goes inside the face-down spare tire in a series 1 400 to hold the briefcase toolkit. I can't even find a part number for this thing or even a pic of it in the parts book.

Anyone know the number or better yet have one they want to sell me to make my car more complete?

Thanks

2. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
  3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thank you I got it.

Just to clarify. On a 400 series 1 (not sure about 365’s) the briefcase tool kit fits in the back side of the down-facing spare wheel. There’s a black plastic insert that fits inside the wheel with a square shape that accepts the brief case. The black plastic insert that holds the brief case is what I’m looking for.

4. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
  5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes thats what Im looking for. Do you have a part number for that? Know where I can get one?

6. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    There is no Ferrari part number for it.

The only marking I found is showing "BELLELLI TIZIANO CARPI-MO ITALY".

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Carpi is a place next to Modena.

There is a short writing on this name at : http://mammacangura-na.com/about-us/ which mentions Tiziano Bellelli who in 1994 had already 30 years of experience making plastic products for Ferrari and Maserati.

The company with the name Bellelli (founded in 1994) is located in Badia Polesine, about 110km North of Modena. This company (www.bellelli.com) manufactures items like child safety seats for cars, therefore is involved in plastic moulding. I sent them an e-mail back in Jan 2018 about the toolkit tray and did not get an answer back.

erwin123 likes this.
  7. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    The above is the only writing I could see on mine as well.
    It is difficult to be certain there are no more numbers as it is coated in black flecking which I assume is original.

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I couldn't find it in the tool / jack section of the parts book. There must be a Ferrari part number listed somewhere.

Thanks for the help gentlemen

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    If you guys could post a pic and length of your tire hold down bolt that would be much appreciated as well. Sorry Im being a pain! I managed to find the correct briefcase without the thing chrome bars where its just solid leather (Or vinyl, hard to tell) and the correct one with the strips for my boxer. Just a few more items to make my car complete.

10. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    The bolt length is a little above 10cm from the threaded end up to the nut.

For the toolkits (wood), there are two versions I have seen:

Left is double circled (top and bottom), right is not circled.

Double circle is a bit smaller and has rounded corners, will fit nicely in the inside of the Cromodora (a little above 35cm across)

The toolkit without circle is larger (above 36.5cm across) has square corners and may need some force to fit fully inside the Cromodora. This depends on the overall dimensions which are not always the same from one toolkit to another.

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Those are the two styles I have as well. The plain one Im putting in my 400i series 1

Thanks for pics of the bolt as well.

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Interestingly the parts book shows the horizontal latch style kit for the 365 just as it does the boxer and early 512. Looks very different than the 2 posted.

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  14. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Hi,

The spare part manual refers to part number 101509 for the toolkit (regardless of the model) and this is shown indeed as the horizontal latches type.

The page http://365gtc4.com/library/ gives a summary of the variations available for the "briefcase" style toolkit (towards the bottom end of the page):

The variations 1 and 4 are the plastic case type with horizontal latches. The Cavallino is in a corner of the top cover away from the handle. The difference between 1 and 4 is the number of trays.

The variations 2 and 3 are wooden cases with vertical latches. The Cavallino is located in the middle of the top cover next to the handle. Variation 2 has "round" corners and top and bottom covers are circled. Variation 3 has square corners.

It is difficult to assign one of these variations to a single car type. My 365 GT4 BB had the variation 1 toolkit with green trays. One of my 365 GT4 2+2 has the variation 3, which I have seen also on a 400 Carb which still had its toolkit holder.

Age wise, variations 1 and 4 seem to be older, then variation 2 and then variation 3.

There are variations with the trays too. Some trays have recesses to hold the tools, some are flat and have laces to hold the tools.

I have seen once a variation 3 toolkit in a 400i series 2, it had a special tray on the trunk carpet to hold it (I do not know if this is an original arrangement from the factory, as normally for these cars the toolkit is expected to be a round pouch sitting on top of the spare wheel outside face):

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ive never seen that holder in the corner of the trunk, thats factory? If so it made sense to move it into the center of the spare wheel.

I bought another tool kit that is correct inside and the dimensions of the case are correct but it has a covering Ive never seen before and a ferrari badge on it rather than a silkscreened horse in yellow. Im going to recover it and duplicate the silkscreened horse.

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  17. rovexienus

Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    The surface of the material looks very modern, at least compared to the 70's. The Cavallino looks like it is on a raised platform (painted on the material in the original). The inside is correct, the rare oil filter wrench is a plus. For concours, I think this item would not loose points.

Does this fit fully in the inside of the 15" Cromodora without force?

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Cant see why not but my car has TRX wheels and I dont have the tool kit holder. These cases are all the same size for the most part, not sure about the horizontal latch version though.

19. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Mine is long gone, but my car is a very early 400i, with TRX wheels, but a 15" spare - verified as OEM by the original importer. So the toolkit and holder would fit. If you get a flat rear tyre, you're meant to put one of the fronts on the rear, and put the spare on the front.

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    That's an interesting mismatch and Im still skeptical Ferrari would release the car that way intentionally. Even the boxers depending on year had a very specific sized minispare.

21. Al Campbell

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    I have a tool kit holder from a 1980 400i with 15 inch wheels & also one of each type of the tool kits.
    The tool kit with the rounded corners will fit in the 15 inch rim but the squared off one will not fit.
    Both tool kits fit in the metric wheel no problems (my 82 400i has 5 metric rims).
    The tool kit holder seems a bit small in the metric rim - was there a bigger one for the metric wheels?

Cheers,
    Al

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Interesting that your 1980 has 15" rims. Maybe mine was converted to TRX in period. What's the earliest TRX car? (Also, let me know if you want to let go of a toolkit!)

23. Al Campbell

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    The Longstone tyre video has the changeover from 15 inch to metric at chassis 31727.
    I have two 1980 400i's with 15 inch rims but one 31723 was very close to getting metric wheels.

I'll hang on to the tool kits - still one short for the 3 cars.

Cheers,
    Al

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks for the info!

25. Ferraridoc