400 Auto | Page 2 | FerrariChat

400 Auto

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by detwin, Aug 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stefano1

Stefano1 Karting

Dec 28, 2008
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Stefano Bini
    yep, evaporated emissions. I think they run the car for one hour and then let it sit for 23. I think they pick up any hydrocarbon, so that includes gas or engine fumes and those cars emit plenty of those as the seals are not all that great (or so it was explained to me).

2. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    A lot of people (& probably a # of police) think in terms of owning a primary residence, & if fortunate, a second home at the shore, mountains, or on a lake...'and that's it!' Think of it in terms of owning multiple homes (3+), one of them you have to assign as your principle & domicile residence. If you visit them throughout the year, you're going to be all over the place...especially if you visit them more than once a year. & in this light, you won't be at your principle residence for the majority of the year. It isn't unlawful for you to park your out of state vehicle at another residence. FL has a ton of Canadians during the winter so seeing a Canadian tag is quite ordinary.

You can also think of this in terms of driver licenses as well. The law calls for you to change your license within 30 days of moving to another state. But what if you own multiple homes??
    Many of you may not be in this situation, but the police don't know that. :D

3. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    This is my first hand experience, and take it to the bank. Several years back, while on our honemoon in Florida, we bought a new house on the water AND a brand new Mercedes. We drove it home to Marina Del Rey, and did not license it in California..About 3 months later, a smart mouth L.A. Co. Sheriff Cadet was ticketing my Benz in the market shopping lot. He said that he had seen the Florida plates for about three months. He ran the plates, and was writing me up. Bottom line here Calif. Statute: If you live in, or have a Calif. residence, especially if you have a Calif. Driving license, ...the very second that the front bumper crosses into California, you owe for a California registration and license for the car. There is absolutely no grace period.. period...cost us $900+ in penalties...If you don't believe me, and you feel lucky, then roll the dice. Also remember that Calif. is a 2 plate state, and if some jerk metermaid sees your car with one plate, Bingo..game on! Hope that this is of some value to someone.Jq.

4. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce

So what are you supposed to do when you return to FL, re-register??
    & what if you made 2 or 3 trips a year back & forth?

5. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    #30 jacques, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
    In all candor, I hope that that isn't sarcazm, so I'll answer that query. Pragmatically, Florida applies "don't ask,don't tell" because Florida has virtually millions of snowbirds/ retirees that commute forth and back a lot, and they're not going to shoot themselves in the foot by hampering their largest industry, tourism. People are here today..gone tomorro, several times a year. Ain't fair,... but, like the F15 Eagle Driver says..I have no interest at all in a fair fight...over..
    and as for California, the state is broke(read broken)..neat question. Jq.

6. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    No sarcasm here, just the God's honest truth. I would think that CA would also have it's share of snowbirds as well, maybe not quite as much as FL. I haven't had any problems in other States. That CA, that's a whole other country! :( Them's pretty strict out there!!

7. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    I costs many hundreds of dollars to register most recent autos..hence the strict enforcement..just like the IRS, they really want that revenue. And since the middle class is sooo visible, we are certainly the most vulnerable.Jq.

8. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Like you said, them's broke!
    & lastly, isn't that a 'shame'? :(

I'd seriously consult an atty. if I ever were to purchase in CA.

9. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    #34 jacques, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
    I think that it truly is a shame. I came from Montana in the sixties, when I was in my early twenties. L.A. was absolutely a wonderful place to be, especially if one worked in the motion picture industry as I was fortun ate enough do. But as it came under the influence of militant liberals, things began to deteriorate..but any more on this, and I fear that it belongs in the Politics & Relegion forum...alas. Jq.

10. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Aaahh, big sky country...nice!
    Redondo Beach was nice back in the 80's, don't know now.
    Too much P & R posting might get this thread moved to that section. :D :D

11. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Let them think what they want. I have had a 348SS and now have a 308QV, and I still love 400's. I keep an eye on them from afar. If you want an auto, you should be able to find one for reasonable coin. Just be cautious and patient and you will find the right one. Good luck.

MB