40 years ago - Ecclestone on Piquet | FerrariChat

40 years ago - Ecclestone on Piquet

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Mar 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Piquet came to the track locked in Bernie’s boot

https://www.planetf1.com/news/nelson-piquet-funny-moments/

Ex-Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone has recalled his first memories of Nelson Piquet arriving into the sport, 40 years on from his Formula 1 win.

Monday, March 30, 1980, saw Piquet record his first career win for Ecclestone’s Brabham team at Long Beach. He would go on to win another 22 races and land three World Championship titles in process.
    Ecclestone has always had plenty of stories to share about all 33 drivers who became World Champions and, with Piquet, he was given a very early indication of just how committed the Brazilian was to reaching the pinnacle of motorsport.

40 years ago today, Nelson Piquet took his maiden Formula 1 victory around the streets of Long Beach.
    “When we found Nelson in Brazil, he came to the track locked in the boot of my car,” Ecclestone told PA Sport.
    “We didn’t have any passes for him but Nelson didn’t care. He was old school. He would clean the car. He would pitch in with the mechanics.

“He was willing to sleep on the floor if he had to. He would do whatever you wanted. He was desperate to be in Formula One.”
    “When he came to England, he didn’t know where he was going to stay, so he told me he would happily sleep under the truck.
    “So, on the first day of testing in 1979, I said to one of our mechanics, Bob Dance: ‘Put a sleeping bag under the truck, and tell Nelson that is where he is sleeping. Then we will see if he is really that keen.’
    “He had no problem with it!”

“Nelson suddenly discovered a good English sense of humour. He was special. He was a super competitor. He wanted to win.”Ecclestone, who lives in Brazil, says he is still in contact with the 67-year-old.

vinuneuro and Flavio_C like this.
  2. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria