4-yr old Samsung Galaxy 3: replace? | FerrariChat

4-yr old Samsung Galaxy 3: replace?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Yoric, Jul 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    I am a technoklutz and need help with my and my wife's 4 yr old Samsung Galaxy J3 cell phones. I bought them both the same day in 2016 and signed up with Verizon. We only use them as phones, nothing else. A couple of days ago they both started failing: dropped calls, incoming calls going directly to mailbox messages, in/out conversations. After speaking with a Verizon tech (?) I'm reasonably sure it's not the service but rather the device itself. I opened up both phones, removed and put back the batteries (fully charged every night), mine has a little bulge, hers does not. It may have made a little difference initially but we're back to the symptoms described above. Incidentally, batteries have never been replaced. So we're going to the local Verizon store tomorrow (made an appointment) to see if they can help. A possibility is replacing the SIM cards but I'm skeptical. If it's determined that we need new phones, what do you guys recommend as good equivalent replacements for the Galaxy 3? We don't mind upgrading a bit but I'd like to be sure we're getting good, reliable and easy to operate devices--at age 70+ it's not really worth it to us to spend many hundreds on a cell phone that will be used primarily, almost solely as a phone.
    Thank you for any advice or recommendations you can proffer.
    Ricardo

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Three thoughts:

1) cell phone service over the last couple of days in the US has been flaky. I have AT&T and a newer phone and I'm seeing the same thing.
    2) a 4 year old Android phone that hasn't been updated is a security nightmare. It's a good thing you're only using it for voice.
    3) if you really are only using it for voice, most carriers offer a slightly older Iphone for free/cheap if you extend your contract. I personally hate Iphones, but Apple does a good job of pushing out updates to them to fill in most of the security holes.

3. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    But what about good replacements, just in case new SIM cards don't fix our problem? I've read that the Samsung Galaxy S10e might be a great device. Anyone have an opinion?
    THX
    Ric