4.9 and spark plug wires... OEM Bosch vs aftermarket MSD ? | FerrariChat

4.9 and spark plug wires... OEM Bosch vs aftermarket MSD ?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by 71Satisfaction, Sep 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Hey all,
    I have a 4.9L with its Bosch ignition system (CDI unit, coil and plug wires) replaced by an aftermarket MSD ignition system, and of course it has ugly blue spark plug wires like an American V8.... probably solid copper cores. It runs fine, but I hate the way the blue wires look... so..

Do any of you know if I can just directly swap out the blue spark plug wires for OEM Maserati 4.9 plug wires? Or are the specifications of their cores different (copper core vs resistance core?) enough to cause firing problems unless I go ahead and replace ALL of the aftermarket MSD components with OEM Bosch components?

I didn't find any discussion in the forum about this topic.
    Grazie,
    - Art

MK1044 likes this.
  2. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The MSD installation manual specifies NOT to use solid spark plug wires. Refer to page 2 of the installation manual
    http://www.g3ignition.com/images/MSD%206%20Series%20Installation%20Instructions.pdf

If you want to keep the MSD I would start by placing the control box where it is not visible and then replacing the blue spark plug wires with black restrictive wires that visually appear more like the originals. If a MSD coil was used then paint it black and dress it up with Bosch stickers :)

Ivan

71Satisfaction likes this.
  3. Heymj73

Heymj73 Rookie

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mathew Jonston
    Agreed Ivan. For the spark plug wires they have a reasonable range of customisable styles at Summit Racing (for e.g.) and you can make up your own set with lengths to suit.
    Cheers,
    Mathew

4. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Thank you both,
    ...the MSD requires spiral or helical wound spark plug wires. According to the specs I see on MIE parts list, the OEM wires are solid core copper. I'll keep it MSD while I assemble the components to switch everything back to OEM Bosch.
    Cheers,
    - Art

5. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    NOT RECOMMENDED. Stay w/MSD over OEM.

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Are there two Arts from New York and Norway with a Bora on here?
    Didn't you just spend the last several months trying fix you ignition system, namely the Bosch box?
    I thought you had it checked and it was OK?
    Then you said it was all caused by a bad coil?

7. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    ...at the moment I am having fun working on three 4.9L Maseratis.. Two are OEM Bosch, one has MSD. One is my Bora, the other two are Khamsins.. The Bora is all set, the two Khamsin's I'm continuing to sort minor issues.

8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Oh OK. I thought only the Bora was giving you issues.

9. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  10. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Holy moly! Thank you JCR, that's the Mother Lode of customizable spark plug harnesses.. Perfect!
    - Art

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My Bora (the last) came with the late QPIII plug harness so I have the big fill the plug well entirely type. But they are crap rubber.

12. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Interesting. I noticed those "skirts" on my friend's blue Khamsin too.. on the spark plug end, that tries to close up the sparkplug well. They aren't in great condition after all these years, but they appear to prevent some of the dust from getting in there. MagneCor offers OEM style plug wire sets for 70's Maserati V8's. There appear to also be optional 'covers' that could provide protection of the plug well.

Cheers,
    - Art

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm not sure if they're functionally significant? Such an easy to access plugs setup for old Maserati V8s is one of the joys of working on that engine. With on additional and another enlarged inspection cover in the firewall behind the seats it's not hard to work on at for a mid engine car. The new one, MC20 looks like a nightmare by comparison but no one is ever going to work on those themselves anyway, especially some 40+ years from now either.

14. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Oh, but they are.. (or they are supposed to be, if they're designed and fit correctly)..

Any engine with deep sparkplug wells (e.g. Chrysler Hemi, Alfa's Busso V6) benefit from those skirts or caps.. as do Maserati V8's:
    - It helps keep away debris that can otherwise get trapped and fall into the cylinder upon sparkplug removal.

...every time my work involves sparkplugs, I've pulled out the compressed air nozzle to blow crud out of the wells.
    - Art

15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Poor materials choice. I had the thing on my early biturbo which ran a lot hotter and so the cups got hard.