37769 For Sale | FerrariChat

37769 For Sale

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Schumi, Oct 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Thought someone might be interested in this auction: https://www.vavato.com/en/#!/auctions/5b9a5dad1804c/lots/13
    I have no affiliation with anyone involved.

I am curious though, as this car has the two rear red fog lights as my car does, if anyone knows whether these were a factory option (as I have been told) or whether they were a dealer/importer add-on?

2. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Hi Daren,
    I suspect the rear fog lights were fitted by the dealer/importer. A rear fog light has been obligatory for eg UK market cars since April 1980 and two were fitted to all UK 400is from this date. I assume it was also a legal requirement for Belgian cars (such as 37769) though they often have just the one fog light, next to the license plate. They don't seem to have been a legal requirement at the time in most other jurisdictions (but of course they were fitted to all 400is from late 1982 when the S2 version came out). Do you know which dealer/importer supplied your 400i originally?
    regards David

3. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    My car is a Series I, as well the car for sale in this post. The rear fog lights on both cars are identical.

I do not know who imported it. I would love to know the early history of our car (#40555).

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  5. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    I did some digging as this fog light is the Belgian type I was referring to and I haven't seen fog lights routinely fitted to Pozzi/French cars. Looking closely in the engine bay of your car (see picture) I can see a Belgian compliance plate, of the type fitted to 37769. So either it was registered in Belgium at one stage, or when it was supplied new by Pozzi it was intended for someone to use in Belgium as well as France - perhaps they had a residence in both countries.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Daren, I'll see what I have on the history of your car. From the pics I have seen, there are no country specific plates in your engine bay. In 1984/85, 40555 was owned by Donald Scutchfield of Woodside (CA).

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thank you for the info! I was told the car came from Paris and I assumed it was there originally. My fog light isn't added on as it was thought to be when I first got the car. I looked at the wiring and its all part of the harness for the tail lights and comes on with the front fog lights unlike the boxers (both carb'd and injected) which have a separate switch.

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  9. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I guess if I had just looked at the door jamb I'd find out who imported my car. I've only owned it for a decade.
    Trend Import Sales, Inc. imported the car. I found they were located in California and were sued by the EPA for some dodgy importation documents/activities. The owner of the company was Albert Mardikian.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Attila400

Attila400 Rookie

Feb 7, 2018
    Budapest
    Full Name:
    Attila
    Hi All, Regarding the foglights, it was obligatory in Belgium. I bought mine from there from a old chap and it had the same foglight as on Newman photo. Mine is originally a German registry from Auto Becker.

11. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    My rear fogs also come on with the front fog light switch, and only if the headlights are on. They sure look "factory" integrated. Love to know more.

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Follow the wiring to the main harness in the trunk and post pics.

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Those fog lights look the same as injected boxer rear fog lights. Would need to see the mounting stud to know. The carb'd boxer single fog light is similar but not quite the same.

14. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
  15. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
  16. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    The upside down black plate above the S/N and Pozzi plate is the Belgian compliance plate.

17. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Thanks - do you by chance have the original warranty book which shows which European dealer supplied your 400i?

18. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I don’t think I have that piece. I have nearly everything else though. I’ll check again.

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ferrari doesn't usually use exposed wires. Everything is in a black (sometimes turquoise sheathing), so whats the red wire going to?

20. Attila400

Attila400 Rookie

Feb 7, 2018
    Budapest
    Full Name:
    Attila
    The solution is that your car is originally Belgian registered first, then shipped to US. All of these modifications made by the importeur, local Belgian seller. For example mine is a German registry, orginally there were no option like sunroof, but mine has. This happened when Auto Becker ordered the car from Ferrari it arrived without sunroof, and the wholesaler (Becker) cut the hole, and used an Opel Monza sunroof.(OK. GM sunroof). How do I know, I just restore mine, and all the parts coming from the sunroof are GM parts, but everything has original paint, and very nicely done.

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes I guess I should've worded it differently. I was thinking it would say something pertaining to the market the car was compliant to and wondered how you knew it was Belgium specifically. So Ill assume only Belgium cars got that black plate.

22. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    That's correct, only cars registered in Belgium got that black plate. Either fitted when new or later if they subsequently moved to Belgium. The abbreviations on the plate are in French I believe. When the full 17 digit VIN plates were introduced during 1982, you could tell the Belgian delivered Ferraris by their red VIN plates in the engine bay (as opposed to blue, black or silver).

23. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    That's correct, Pininfarina/Ferrari would not fit sunroofs at the factory so they were fitted by the importer instead. In the UK price lists of the period, it stated in the list of options (short list, rear air and sunroof), that the sunroof would be fitted in the UK.

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Sorry to Hijack this thread but now you have me wondering about my car. These are the plates that came off of it and it has the yellow headlamps. Did Belgium cars have yellow headlights?

25. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Hi,
    Sorry if I am confusing you. Yours is not a Belgian market car, yours is a French market Pozzi supplied 400i as evidenced by the plate inside the engine bay and the yellow headlights. The license plates are also French. I don't know the early history of your car. However, the Belgian compliance plate and rear fog light implies it was registered in Belgium once. As an example, it could have been registered new in France, then it moved to Belgium and was registered there, and then it moved back to France. Such a scenario would explain the Belgian compliance plate. Hope this helps. David