375 Plus #0478AM & 750 Monza #0538M | FerrariChat

375 Plus #0478AM & 750 Monza #0538M

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Timmmmmmmmmmy, Jul 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    This mornings news is that Copley Motorcars have now got these two fabulous cars up for sale, now the last I heard the 375 Plus was part of a Swiss dealer/ car collection and had been there for decades. Copley Motorcars is a well known dealer principal closely involved with Lesley Wexner, generally offering cars when he decides to sell anything but no mention whether either of these have come from his collection.

What I find slightly odd is that these weren't secured for a Monterey auction, I would have thought they would have been in hot demand at Bonhams, Gooding and RM. Add this car to the 3 GTO's, 2 TRs and dozens of big dollar cars for sale or sold this year.

https://copleymotorcars.com/?showroom=1954-ferrari-375-plus-sutton-spyder

https://copleymotorcars.com/?showroom=1955-ferrari-750-monza-scaglietti-spyder-2

NürScud and sixcarbs like this.
  2. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Mega!!

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  3. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I'll take the Monza...you guys can flip a coin for the 375. :D

Christian.Fr and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  4. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Once upon a time, far away and long ago I received a call for help from a man named William Shaker. It was in the spring of 1990 and he had a question regarding a car he bought in November 1964 from Pat Bryan of Grenada Hills, CA. The title indicated that it was a 1956 Testa Rossa with a serial of 538M. However the car had no label plate and no visible chassis stamp.

He related that Pat Bryan had installed a Corvette 327 motor and had raced the car in some West Coast SCCA races in 1961, 62 and 63. Shaker worked for awhile in Trona, CA and used the car as his commuter for the 160 mile trip to/from LA. The car had no speedometer so he installed a pitot tube with an air speed indicator.

When I arrived at the shop in Leesburg, VA on 6/22/90 I recognized the Parravano body and upon removing the hood I too could not see any chassis serial number. However after removing the water pump pulley the serial on the chassis was plainly visible - 0538 M. After removing the seats and the interior floor panels I also could see the transaxle number of 48SN, a normal five speed. The steering box was stamped 7-5-53 which was probably a replacement after the Shelby Targa Florio accident. The instrument panel was nothing Ferrari ever made.

Sometime later David Smith acquired the car. He spent many hours under my car (same chassis tipo 510) carefully measuring the locations and sizes of the frame motor mounts as the chevy installation had removed the originals. David also located the 750 Monza motor 0538 M with the internal motor number of 36MZ and after a fine restoration effort the car won the Pebble Beach Ferrari Competition Car Class in 1993.

Enough for a “once upon a time” story.

Best regards,

Robert

Bisonte, Tenney, NürScud and 5 others like this.
  5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    FYI 0478 AM was sold October 1996 by Erich Traber in Switzerland to a collector who prefers to remain anonymus and does not live in Europe or USA. Not Mr. Wexner.
    Traber had owned 0478 AM from 1987 until October 1996.

Marcel Massini

Timmmmmmmmmmy and NürScud like this.
  6. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Thanks for the clarity.

Cheers
    Timothy

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The 375 reminds me of that Lancia Barchetta no? I prefer the Monza.

8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Both the 375 and the 750 M will be shown at the upcoming Carmel-by-the-Sea Concours Tuesday 21st August 2018 during the Monterey week.

Marcel Massini