365GT4 2+2 air filter housings | Page 3 | FerrariChat

365GT4 2+2 air filter housings

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Bill26, Feb 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I went with the plated finish after removing and re-riveting. Im not sure if paint finish would work in the long run without it starting to fail due to the nature of the latch mechanism.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Looks great on your air boxes. The paint on mine was coated on pretty thick. Unless someone tells me they really should be painted for the sake of originality I think I will go down the same path as you and have them plated. Did you use blind rivets when you refitted them, or go with pop rivets?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Used the smallest pop rivet. I was initially concerned they would interfere with the air filter fitting (original one) but there were no problems.

4. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    I have seen them painted and unpainted but I believe they were originally painted. My original 400 airboxes have black catches.

The logic is that it would have been too much trouble to paint the air boxes and then rivet the catches on after (without damaging the paint) - much easier to fit the catches and blast everything with crinkle or satin paint.

I would not remove the rivets on the brackets - it's easy to spread the pivot on the swinging part of the latch and remove it. So easy in fact that sometimes they fall of on their own. I re plated these parts in black zinc.

Also, new latches are available for $5 each - identical except that they have a proper hinge pin (so they don't fall apart) and they are stainless steel (which can be plated). Even made in Italy.

Regards

WM

PeterMercedes and Tojo like this.
  5. Andres_1979

Andres_1979 Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Andres Kormis
    Hi guys, I bought a 1979 400gt with carbs and Im restoring it. I Wonder if you can help me updating me with the filter element. I need to take out the trompets to change the filter?
    By the othe hand I try to reach green filter in France to buy the "flexible" filter to make it easy, do you have a contact?
    What should I use in my car?
    Thanks a lot for your valuable knowledge
    Regards
    Andres

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I don’t see how you could possibly take the filters out without removing the trumpets. After you do it once or twice it gets easier. The side with the brake booster is more difficult. On the side with the battery remove the battery and the tray. Do that side first. I use a snap on brand 1/4” drive swivel socket. For the upper nuts in the corners you’ll need to modify two 10mm wrenches.

samsaprunoff likes this.