365 P "Tre Posti" #8971 at Gooding | Page 4 | FerrariChat

365 P "Tre Posti" #8971 at Gooding

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Terra, Jul 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sperry

sperry Karting

Aug 6, 2013
    That seems crazy.

2. cprob

cprob Karting

Apr 13, 2004
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Parker
    Got this amount (even though it was unsold?) almost exact, but I was def off on the GTO!!

3. amstokesdb9

amstokesdb9 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2009
    Arlington
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I thought the same thing, especially when you think that would be nearly $25M with the premium.

4. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Insane that it was not sold at that much. I would have tried to lower the reserve as soon as the GTO hammer went down at what it did. Crazy. Wonder what will happen to it now..

5. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Wouldn't surprise me if it sells after the auction?

6. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Seems like they were chasing at least one more bid based on the podium banter.

7. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    Seems like a very fair offer.

I think the seller should have accepted.

K Goldman

8. mdw3

mdw3 Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Unless anyone can say otherwise definitively, I would guess the unsuccessful bidder here might be a well-known lighting fixture (and perennial friend to many an auctioneer) ....

9. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    hmm... I didn't expect it to break 5M. What do I know?

10. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I didn't watch the auction but given that it didn't reach reserve that may be the case... Someone who was in the room can give us their impression...

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    A theatrical performance, there didn't appear to be any real money in the room at anything approaching reserve. Given the intransigence of the consignor it will probably remain in his possession for quite some time. One of many high estimate No-Sales by Gooding.

12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Auction company can bid on behalf of the consignor up to reserve. They are always chasing one more bid.

13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    High bid on a No Sale is meaningless.

14. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    Agreed... on almost all points...I was in the first couple of rows as this rolled over the block.
    This car will likely not transfer ownership until probate, as it is the personal favourite of consignor's, from his still interesting lot of cars...

While interest was and is high, not at THAT level for a: re-bodied 365P2/3 which had had a shunt of some sorts as the story goes...(8815, the "other one of these", is the one on a modified "LM" chassis-again, as the story goes
    A quite significant car none the less, which drives quite nicely for the era....
    IMO, at this altitude, price asked such as these, are for scarce few "coach built cars", and nearly exclusively the domain of: TEAM cars, with SIGNIFICANT and historically important results-ON THE CONTINENT....and again, almost ALWAYS as TEAM cars...

15. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I just came across an old article today where
    ""Coco" was suing Ferrari back in 2012 , claiming that they refused to issue him a certificate (or whatever you call their papal like blessing) for some of his cars which in effect prevented him from selling them at top dollar. The 365P is mentioned as an example.

Heir of legendary Ferrari importer sues to cancel Prancing Horse trademark | Motoramic - Yahoo News

But since that is a three year old article I am curious to know what happened. Also I notice it didn't stop him from putting it in the Gooding auction at Monterey where he turned down a high bid of $22 million.

I am curious to know if the car was ever advertised in any previous years (maybe ad in Road & Track) at a more reachable price, that would have been the time to buy it.

16. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Seems I read somewhere that de Vroom was a part time race driver, anybody know if he ran any major events and where? Didn't Chinetti bring their customers cars to the track and have them drive it briefly so the customer could say he was a "sponsored racer?"

Can we lay upon Chinetti Jr. the title of the "world's cleverest car dealer" in that him saving cars for decades (this one saved a mere 48 years) greatly increased its value. So you could almost say he's famous for NOT selling cars. And the Tre Posti is only one of the valuable one off Ferraris he owns.

Lastly, when de Vroom had his throat cut (a result , no doubt, of hanging with the wrong crowd) did he still own any Ferraris...

17. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I've seen this car with Texas plates; do you know who owned it at that time??

18. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I love both 365P's, but if you really love 3 seaters, the Manta is not too shabby either....:)

19. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The real money was George Arents. Family fortunes from tobacco and AMF.

de Vroom had access to some other people's money but apparently had little that was actually his own.

Arents and deVroom are the original parts of NART using Chinetti for the supply and support of the race cars.

Since Lou will be at the 2016 FCA International Meet with Michael Lynch it will be interesting to hear how he describes the early years of NART's formation and financial dealings.

Jeff

20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  21. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
  22. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Strange why nothing has been made of the uprated to 5 litre engine, especially when the car was being marketed for auction a few years ago.

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  23. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #98 BJK, Aug 25, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    Any updates 7 years later? Is 8815 still in a major Asian collection?

What has happened to 8971 since 'No Sale' ($22.5 mil) at Gooding 2014? Changed hands?

"Moreover, in 2014 and in front of an offer of 23 million dollars, the answer from the owner was “No, thanks. I rather keep it!” :eek: . (I know what I've got :D )
    https://www.autoclassmagazine.com/web/ferrari-365-p-berlinetta-speciale-the-three-seater-that-gave-birth-to-the-dino/

Recently photographed in Monterey, Aug.'21 :) :cool:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/148051934/

>>> Serious question. How many owners find surface rust a week later on their perfectly restored cars from the thick, damp, salty air of the Monterey coast? :eek:

[​IMG]

24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    It sold privately to a North American collector.

BJK likes this.
  25. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT