365 or 400 engine? F101 . C001 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

365 or 400 engine? F101 . C001

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Scott Ales, Jun 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scott Ales

Scott Ales Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Eustis, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Scott Ales
    The car is at the mechanics building locked up till Monday. I tried to zoom in on a few pictures I have but can't make out any numbers. It will have to wait till Monday when I can call the tech.

2. Scott Ales

Scott Ales Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Eustis, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Scott Ales
    Okay everyone, get your popcorn out!

Carbs are 110/111 from a 400 engine!

Additionally, the previous owner reached out to me with this story. Sounds plausible to me.

It sounds like they put the 365 crank and rods in the 400 block, but they must have done some other work, as that car moved right along and had good power.

A few things I can tell you about the car from my research and discussions with the judge I bought it from:

1. The car has a 400 block. The original block was replaced before 1985 in europe. The original block was long gone when I got the car (I asked!).

2. I bought the car from a judge in the Bay area who bought the car in england. I bought it with a british title and worked with the Illinois DMV for 2 months to get an Illinois title.

3. I had the clutch, pressure plate, and rear main replaced in 2005 (or so) with parts obtained (I think) from Dennis McCann. You should have the receipts. The engine did not need to come out for that work.

4. I replaced the tires in 2005, and had Skip McCabe (a local Ferrari restorer) redo the wheels, as they are a magnesium/aluminum alloy.

5. I replaced the rear load-leveler shocks with new ones from T. Rutlands.

6. I replaced the rear muffler sections with original Ansa pipes from an outfit in Arizona.

7. I had the other 4 shocks rebuilt by Skip McCabe in Chicago.

8. I have a pic of my wife and I on the bricks at Indy! I took the car to the Ferrari Club national years ago and did several laps around Indy at 7,000 rpm - A glorious memory!

9. I bought the owners manual off of ebay.

10. I think the car was originally white (or blue). I saw the original color in the trunk area when we took the shocks out. It looks MUCH better in red.

A few years ago, I tracked the car to Arizona. The guy was using a Ferrari mechanic I know in Fountain Hills, AZ, but did not want to sell. I told the mechanic to call me if he ever wanted to sell. I should have kept in touch with him - Oh well. The price is higher than I am will to pay at this point. I will follow the car and wait until we get a correction sometime in the future. I want my car back! I sold her for $30k years ago because my wife hated it - The A/C gave up on the way back from Indy when it was 94 degrees, and the engine was getting a little warm, so I turned on the heat to keep the engine temp at normal. She fried in the car, and never would ride in it again.

So, I am representing the car in Monterey as having a 400 block and likely a 365 crank with modified pistons or rods to accommodate the 365 stroke measurement. We also performed a compression check on each cylinder with 125 being the lowest, another at 140, and the rest at 175. Those readings were taken before we realized one plug wire was disconnected also. So I will now run the car 10-20 miles and check those two cylinders again.

Ideally, I would put the car on a Dyno to really know the RW Hp. That would be interesting to say the least! Bottom line is, it's not the original engine that came with this car, period. And that will be emphasized throughout my discussions with anyone interested in her and when she goes on the block.

Cheers.

3. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    so Scott summary please

4. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #29 bundas, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Scott,
    Your 365 was indeed white when it was in the UK (from 1980 to 1985 according to the Driver Vehicle Licensing Authority).

David

6. Scott Ales

Scott Ales Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Eustis, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Scott Ales
    WOW!

That is awesome! Thank you.

Could I get a digital copy of that possibly? Must have been painted when t came into the US then. Would have been nice to find a receipt for the paint job. Maybe I can track down the shop that handled the importation to see if they are still around.

7. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Scott,

Easiest way is for you to search on this site:

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

The tricky bit is knowing the registration number - EUC866V :)

The car wasn't necessarily repainted in the US, it could have taken place in the UK after initial registration, but the owner forgot to let the authorities know.

As current owner, you can normally request details of previous (UK) owners following the link on the same page - I don't know if that will work in your case as the vehicle is now registered elsewhere - but maybe worth looking into.

David