365 motor assy complete with transmission | Page 8 | FerrariChat

365 motor assy complete with transmission

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bundas, Sep 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Did on 550. Sorry. I would never have found anything

2. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    as part of this weeks report. there was a used clutch in my car. take a look at Brett's bill. two new clutches

3. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Ok I found your thread. Wow! This is terrible!!!
    Clyde

4. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    #179 tifosi_, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    I know Brett, have talked to him several times, been up to see his shop on several occasions, even shared a beer with him, but I've never had my car there for service. He seems like an ok guy but he's just too far out of the way for me. Your thread looks like an absolute disaster. Then again, I don't have a vintage car like yours where parts are hard to come by. I don't want to take sides or make any judgements in this matter but I'll just continue to follow the thread.
    Incidentally I was up at his place just last weekend and saw a 365 and a few 400's on the floor of his shop, I wonder if one of them was yours?

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think one of his motors is still there.....

6. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #181 bundas, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    if you have time. I have posted what has happened since I got my car back. the prior two years were filled with denials and excuses. parts are not hard to come by, despite Brett's BS. overnight. 2-3 days max. if you were at his shop and saw a motor/transmission for a 365gt4, yes that is mine. it is held hostage for $47,000. that all at once I was told that I owe. read my post. Brett now owns a motor/transmission. that must be worth $47,000, good luck. stay tuned. every Wed. I get a phone call from the shop that is working on my restored? car. scheduled to be finished and home at the end of this month. the 365 is owned by a fellow fchatter in Mo. it has been there since early this year, May I think. the shop working on my car received it a month ago. got started two weeks ago. 1 1/2 days the motor was out stripped and on a stand. week later the thing was apart and going back together. Mo. mans car only needed the assembled motor installed. that tell you anything. a 78 year old guy and his son is working on mine.

7. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I am more than upset right now. damn new I phone is locked up. cannot even turn it off. see steam coming from both ear. another call from the shop just now. the heads are apart(bottom end complete!) no new valves. I was billed for two sets of new valves. there is so much carbon build up that they cannot determine if the guides have been replaced. one cam lobe is worn .020, RH exhaust side.. so in one week the motor apart and all back together(bottom). not a year or two.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hold the button down 15 seconds on the phone..

It will reboot....

9. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    While brett flippantly quips about "all 3 disgruntled guys at the same table", keep in mind that it's actually 4 who have spoken-up, among those who are on FChat (not everybody is, believe it or not!!). Additionally, 6 or 7 contacted me through either PM or email to tell me of their similar problems with brett and his shop, and the consistently unethical behavior that followed, though they refused to speak out publicly for reasons I've already addressed. That was two years ago, so I would expect that there are even more now.

Those 6/7 don't represent victims who aren't on FChat, and it's reasonable to suspect, not even all of those who ARE here.

Unfortunately, Mitchell missed my thread.

10. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    I actually saw a car that was a 365, not a motor, though they did have a 12 cyl motor on the bench come to think of it so I guess that could have been yours. Sorry to hear about all your problems, these are the type of Ferrari nightmares that are really not Ferrari's fault but give everyone the impression about how troublesome these cars are.

11. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I need a cam shaft. RH exhaust.900192

12. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    I used to do two or three Mopar restorations a year, as a hobby. Back when parts were available but you had to hunt for them. I constantly kept bumping into guys with project cars that had been taken advantage of by someone that talked a good line but cheaped out on every angle. When they got their car back they had the usual problems, overheating, oil leaks, ill handling cars, braking issues. It invariably boiled down to an unscrupulous mechanic, if you want to call them that, who had promised a good product and lined his pockets with the money he should have invested in the car. Ferrari's are a step up in the price game but the crooks don't seem to mind, and have absolutely no guilt when blaming the car owner for everything that wasn't done properly. The owner took the advise of an unqualified double talker and never knew he was being hoodwinked until he got the car back and the problems started.
    They make their money by screwing each customer and not having to worry about repeat business because there isn't any for them. They don't care. They are on to their next victim and bad mouths anyone that brings their bad behavior to light.
    In those cases I usually attempted to help the owner find parts that they paid for but weren't used on their cars. Once we found the missing good parts I would direct them to someone with a good reputation for the particular type of work they needed. I didn't get paid for any of this. They weren't my customers but I felt that the hobby was being damaged by crooks disguised as restorers.
    No one deserves to spend a small fortune and get a useless car back. It should never happen. It does for all of the wrong reasons. It repeats itself every time these frauds find an eager customer that doesn't check the track record of the shop they are sending their car to. My advise, if you can't drop by and see what is being done on your car frequently, don't do it.
    I'm certain that the number of "disgruntled owners" is much higher than 3 or 10. Probably more like half the projects ever touched by them. It's unfortunate the "disgruntled" can't file a class action law suit. With this pattern of abuse and misuse of funds a reasonably well documented case could be compiled.
    Food for thought.

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
  14. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Not always a good fix,according to my mechanic,who has my 365 apart,for the same problem
    He has sourced another from England,the bloke selling has a set of 4,I look like buying just one.

15. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^,please let me know if you are interested.
    I just tried phoning my mechanic,we have a long weekend here,and he has probably gone away for it.

16. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Is your car a 365 GTB/4 Daytona or a 365 GTC/4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Neither

18. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Oh? So what is it, out of curiosity

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Mitch send the cams (all 4) to web in CA.

20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Bundas car is the first version of the 400 series of Ferrari. The engine from what I understand was pretty much the same unit as the Daytona. That same engine was also in the 365 GTC/4.

21. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Gee that's a classic, hope it's not ruined

22. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Guy will not use a repaired cam. So I am interested in a new/ good?used one. On another note I got my hands snaked her for posting the same subject on other sites I wanted to warn others with different models. Not allowed, I found out. Tex , you tried to warn me but I really did not understand. The theory here, they will search and find. I strongly disagree. And I feel that the policy is totally wrong. But who am I to question God 😊 And on another subject, since this is my thread. I chest😉

23. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Mitch,did you see my post re the cams?

24. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Are they new😊 Or used. And where. Did you get a price?

25. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    They're used but apparently quite good,the one I'm looking at has been sent but has not arrived yet.
    If my mechanic likes it,he will then pay for it.
    As stated,it's coming from England.
    I will PM you the price and condition,as well as which one it is,when it arrives.