365 motor assy complete with transmission | Page 7 | FerrariChat

365 motor assy complete with transmission

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bundas, Sep 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    I remember looking thru a rather lengthy thread about a reconstruction for a white Ferrari that arrive back home with more than a few issues. If I remember the problem there didn't have anything to do with lack of funding. It looked a lot like over billing for work not done or done poorly. The fact that this unfortunate series of events has left you with a rather unserviceable vehicle should in no way reflect on your willingness to pay for doing it right. I think you have always been about solving the problem not about pinching pennies to save a buck.
    I feel badly that you joined the club of unhappy patrons.

2. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    How are you and wife, dog and car, of course😊 I am having a great week. On a high since so much progress has been made on all my cars. The 1962 Chrysler 300 has the electroluminescent instrument group. 12V dc converted to 110V. It got fixed this week. The old grumpy shop guys that fix it had never seen one. They became like little kids. 😄

3. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    I always liked that stuff. My 66 Hemi Charger had that. It looked like an aircraft instrument panel. Really quite elegant way to illuminate the gauges, no light bulbs.
    The gangs all doing well, I'm part way thru the LED lighting conversion, anything to decrease the load on those two dynamos. We will finally get some drive able weather soon. No more 100 degree overnight low temps till next year. I'm putting on a few miles sparingly. Staying out of rush hour traffic. It's fun to run out to the Boulder dam on the old road at night. Almost no traffic now and lots of switchbacks and decreasing radius off camber turns. Another well designed Nevada highway. To be fair they didn't have much real estate to utilize when they built that stretch in the early 30's. I drive out stop at the view site, it's impressive at night and run the new road back to town.

4. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    If you can get the one in (though now "out") of the car running right without a full rebuild, then, as I posted earlier in this thread, repeating what I expressed in my own, "Run it until it pops". When it does, you've got a spare brettski / gran turismo hand-grenade ready to plug-in while the current one is done correctly. You've just got to get it back, which, like the "finished" #22579 already at over $65K in, was then held for ransom for an additional $24K. I hope your situation, at $48k in new "Surprise!!! charges, turns out better.

If I'm very lucky, mine is just several crap valve guides in the heads. <crosses fingers, toes, eyes....>

Yes, Dave, that's my gran turismo adventure mentioned in several posts in this thread. As already noted - "Consistency".........and that Consistency of behavior is what worries me for Mitchell.

5. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Seems like there are at least 4 now...

6. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    but not all. timing chain so tight that it will have to be replaced. all the bearings have not been inspected(timing chain). bottom end bearings scuffed because there was gas in the oil. running way too rich. one valve was 16 thousand. way to lose. the heads have not been checked yet. a lot more checking. a lot of plastic sealant in the pan. pick up kept it out of the passages. more in a week when all things will be checked. progress.

7. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Those darned "shipping companies" must be at it again!! :D

8. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Now will Brett shut up, my guess. No

9. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Bigger question - Will he send your motor back?

10. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    mentally I have written the stuff he has off. I do not plan to send one penny to him. I am waiting for a complete report on the motor. that will take another week. the carb. jets that the

car came with, 135's were for the weather at the time of shipment. Brett said I needed to change them and he had and would ship same. well they were never sent. when I told him I bought a set here because he never sent his, the reply indicated that I never ask. I put the 130's in and it still ran like crap. now I am finding out why. but it looks like I will have to wait a bit longer for the full answer. so brett gets a free motor assy. with all attachments and a transmission. win some, I have been beaten up really bad over these cars in the last three years. damn shame. life goes on. thank you lord. mom and I are still able to have a conversation. she is 100.

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    The difference in jets between 130 and 135 is a small change. I have tried both in my car and there is very little difference.

12. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    knowing any thing I went with the expert, Brett

13. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I stated that I will not send any money to Brett. Since I can be reasonably sure he reads this thread. That statement does not mean that I relinquish owership. I will through all legal means available to me, seek return of my property. I intend to recover the cost of repairing the car I am now having fixed. That will encompass the cost of approx. $15,000 I spent to get the Car drivable. Tomorrow I will have a firm cost total

14. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I hope you're successful. As I was going to for another victim, I'll appear in court with my documentation on your behalf if you wish.
    As that person found, and is also supported by some of those others who contacted me during my thread, scammers rely upon the victim recognizing the cost/benefit to favor "just letting it go away". It was why I reluctantly accepted that brett had no intention of making #22579 right (nor was I stupid enough to send it back up there, into his possession again), and as noted in my thread "His compensation offer just determines how much of the rest of what he took, he gets to keep".
    If you have the perseverance.....

Jeez, I miss knowing the end-result of simple handshake deals with significantly less detail than dozens of emails.

15. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Hand shakes were the only contracts. If it requires more I do not want to deal

16. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    weekly Wed. call. would you believe. all the main inserts were in backwards. he is still cleaning and going back with the bottom end. the heads have not been touched. damn. stay tuned until next Wed.

17. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    are you there, what, no smart a comment. I am shocked.

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    You need to clarify because what you described isnt possible. It is possible to have the upper and lower bearings swapped in their places but not backwards. Swapped would cause and oiling problem if the bearings are half grooved.

Curious if your guy measured the actual compression ratio. Ive seen a lot of issues with JE providing pistons with dome volumes that are too large putting the ratio into the 12's. If you reassemble the engine with the pistons that are currently in it I strongly suggest your guy checks. If he checked it he will have the dome volume reading.

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am sure that is what he meant. Have to look at the diagram or a crank but I suspect it would reduce flow to the rods.
    Common error. Some don't seem to get it.

People still use JE?

Why?

20. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    your description is correct. I was so upset when he told me I had to ask three times. the cylinders were not oiled. one of his employees was dismissed two weeks ago. out looking for work. looks as if Brett will find another business. the bill so far, $7,000. block assembly going together now. I will get a call next Wed. with a progress report. the heads have not been touched. if this car comes back fixed I will have a series of motors for him

21. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I want to post a reference in every section about my Brett experience. trying to prevent others from making the same mistake. let me know. ok or not, thank you

22. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Wow, I was just surfing as could not sleep. This thread reminds me of the reza one under the Canadian section. A real shame the experience. Can't say I have not been there before and I have learned the hard way. Fortunately I now deal with Rocco in Toronto who has been amazing. One day, hopefully later this month, look forward to scheduling to meet with mr Newman. I manage/own commercial property. Even when the tenant is wrong, they are right as my issue at the end. I have never raised my voice or said anythingn degrogatory to a customer....but your tongue, count to 5, apaologize for the situation and what can be done to correct it. Most of my tenants have been in my buildings for 25+ years and we get along as an extended professional family. It is so hard to get new customers, so easy to retain, so much energy marketing mew customers and forgetting about the existing ones. This shop reminds me of US lawyers - rates are much lower than Canadian but monthly bill is always higher! &#55357;&#56836; By the way like your house. I just started the demo on mine - 7 car garage ground level with hoist and 24 in basement level with 13 foot ceiling = 48 spots double stacked. We are all sick!

23. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not my decision to make. I think documenting these cars and those who work on them is always a good idea. As I said before there seems to be a pattern of non-positive experiences here. Unfortunately for you, this instance obviously isn't a positive one.

24. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #174 bundas, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Unless I am told no here goes. In the 550 section

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No, you cannot scatter across the Board like that, Mitchell....

Anyone doing a "search" will find these discussions.
    No need, to spread it all over....