365 GTC/4 ignition timing | FerrariChat

365 GTC/4 ignition timing

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by thecarnut, May 27, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I just purchased a euro spec 1972 GTC4. The engine is sluggish coming out of idle. Car has problems going up steep hills when accelerating from a stopped position. I suspect the problem is with ignition timing as the carbs are well synchronized, not backfiring, idles well, etc.

I am new to this V12 engine. Where can I find details on how to adjust the four contact breakers and set ignition timing? Where is the ignition timing mark?

2. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Timing is the same but different. You will time each distributor off of seperate marks on the flywheel. Yes the flywheel. There is an inspection cover below the flywheel. You will need to lift the car and have a long cord on your light, and probably another person. For the details and what marks to time to I would highly recomend getting the shop manual not the owners manual or somtimes what people call the maintenance or "workshop manual" . You want the 8 1/2" X 11" 1" thick shop manual. You can get these through the usual vendors or on E-Bay. Usually $100 to $150. Seems expensive but cheap in relative terms. They will even give you detailed engine rebuilding specs. and tools required. Good Luck!
    Rick