365 GT4 | FerrariChat

365 GT4

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by tomberlin, Oct 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Does any one know of a carb car for sale?

Cheers,
    Tom B

2. tajaro

tajaro Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Gulfport Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik V
    Brown and tan '73 with 62k on eBay right now- pretty one. Don't know anything about it but it's been on several times before-

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Ask Brett about the brown one; there may be a reason it has cycled on ebay.

Can you be more specific on what you are looking for? Project? Show car? Driver? Color preference?

4. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    I'm looking for a nice driver, would rather it not be red, and I'd rather it have carbs than FI.
    Thanks guys,
    Tom B

5. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    The brown car is up to $28k and hasn't met the reserve. Isn't that getting close to the upper limit for that car?

Tom B

6. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    do you mean 28K as the upper limit for the model ? seriously ?
    maybe for that GT4...but you know what, i doubt you'll even get that one for under $40K.
    and it's nowhere near what it will take to pry a good example away from an owner of one.
    you'd have to double that, minimum, or maybe even triple it, to make that happen.

and if you buy the Marrone Ebay car for $30K, you'll be into it for $50K before you're done.
    and you know what, if you did, and had a good example for $50K, you'll have done well.
    and i mean a car that's running within 85-90% of where it was new...not some rusty, ratty,
    low compression smoker that's been let go by a dozen undeserving owners over 30 years.

parts are parts and labour is labour...and neither cost less on a GT4 than on a Daytona.

the beauty of this model, besides it's beauty, is that's upfront price is comparatively low...
    ...but don't think that you can get into a 'good' 365 GT4 2+2 for under $50K...no way.
    show me a good one for less one and i'll show you one that's a shadow of what it should be.

7. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
  8. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Thanks for the continued advice. I'm new to these models and obviously not up to speed yet.
    All help is appreciated.
    Tom B

9. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    that certainly appears to be a well serviced and maintained example...
    and very complete as far as the total package is concerned.

i'm personally not a fan of how far 'off the reservation' they went with various changes...
    but that's just my humble opinion.

and i'd bet it ain't cheap either...

good luck with your search...
    and my point is just that there are no 'free lunches' in the Ferrari world...regardless of model
    maybe one 1 in 100 gets lucky, but for everyone else it's a case of 'pay now or pay later'.
    it's such a small world now that if there was a 'deal' it wouldn't make to the 'public'...
    it would just get snapped up by one of the high rollers who have the 'pulse' of the market.

this model will have it's day...every other has... and they really are fantastic cars.

10. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Could you explain "off the reservation" ?
    Thanks again

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I think he intended to say reserve as in minimum eBay price.

12. kdf398

kdf398 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Pasadena
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I actually think he was referring to the non-originality of various items on the Oregon car. For example, the front airdam, the red painted valve covers, the steering wheel, the cavalino rampantes in various places in the interior. Also, I could be wrong but weren't the 365 seats a different pattern than that?

13. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    The seats are 400/series I 400i. This car is a bit of a hodgepodge of 365 GT4/400. It doesn't look as vintage as 365 GT4s normally do.

Aidan

14. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK

Oh your correct, don't pay amy attention to what I said!

15. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    yes, that's exactly what i meant...i just chose some very, very poor words...excuse me.

Jimmy...are you gonna make post the only crappy pics i have of your stunning new car ?

16. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Sorry for the repost.

17. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
  18. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    interesting about the price...
    somebody might get it for $35K and enjoy it as is...which would make it a really good deal.
    but i couldn't live with it as is...and it would take $15K minimum to put her right.
    that would include valve covers, interior, side marker removal, valence, steering wheel, etc.

but the guy who doesn't give a **** about that stuff should jump on it and enjoy it...
    maybe chip away at it over time...or not.

19. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    I looked at the photos and imediately alarm bells were a ringing when I saw the red painted engine etc. This car is far from original.
    But correct as our friend points out if you dont care about that it appears from the photos to be in very good nick why not check it out. I am sure at least it has to be 99% (maybe less) original so you can sort the small things out later if you wanted.
    Regards
    Alastair

20. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    I would rather start looking for a candidate closer to the east coast. I'm not sure I want to get one of these yet, so I'm not ready to travel across the country to look.
    Alastair=2 friends took their boats to Largs and sailed in the Albacore Worlds this summer. They spoke well of the area.

21. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Tom,

There are few of these cars around and fewer nice ones. IF the modifications don't put you off, see what you can learn about the car. Then, if all is well have a PPI done.

Remember, the cheap ones will cost you more in the end!

Regards,

Art S.

22. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Exactly true. Maybe 2 or 3 of the GT4 series come on the market in any given year. May as well check it out if you have your heart set on one because the education and value as a comparable will make your decision to purchase easier when the right one does come along.

Contrary to what you might think, the total number of 365GT4's and the 5 speed 400/400i/412 series cars in the States probably is fewer than a hundred cars and so are not that easy to find.

They are probably rarer than any of the 330 GT 2+2, 365GT 2+2, 365GTB/4 Daytona, 365GTC/4 cars.

Has anyone here inquired about this GT4 and have anything to report about what sort of history comes with the car or what it is like after an up close inspection?

23. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    Coincidently enough theres a guy here in Largs with a 365GT4 2+2 in extremely good nick.
    Mind you its a heluvalong way further than just accross America!
    Thanks for that Largs is a great sailing place. I organised a regatta there last year check out fiferegatta.com
    Anyway good luck on your hunt these cars really are the ultimate GT
    Regards
    Alastair

24. tajaro

tajaro Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2009
    Gulfport Florida
    Full Name:
    Erik V
    #25 tajaro, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
    But it sure is pretty. I think these are such great cars and even when you look at the evolution they still are all special. I think this one is a nice "tribute" car to some good stuff. The engine looks great with red, the Nardi is classic and the color combo even with the different interior is great- all Ferrari like someone custom ordered. I could certainly live with all this especially if it can be had for $35k.

These are drivers and to just enjoy - when they do start really appreciating it's easy to put back-

Beautiful car IMO.