365 GT4 2+2 air cond compressor repair | FerrariChat

365 GT4 2+2 air cond compressor repair

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by D365, Feb 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. D365

D365 Rookie

Feb 9, 2021
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Dennis Dordevic
    Hi, has anyone got experience with the removal & repair of this unit circled in the attached pic that I believe to be the air conditioning compressor? It sits under the top of the centre console and looks like a radiator with two vents on top.The car was involved in a fire and so the dashboard was destroyed and I'm trying to work out what damage could possibly have been caused to this unit and whether I can remove it myself and send it away to get looked and repaired. My late father who's car it was, was a mechanic - I'm not, though I'm mechanically minded and fairly handy with tools ( I removed the cylinder heads myself if that counts at all, though I was advised by mechanics that I couldn't do it:)).
    Thx so much in advance for any assistance!!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That's actually the evaporator unit. I'll take some pics and post later if no one else beats me to it. It's worth getting checked over and also removing the fan shroud and giving it and the vanes of the fans a thorough clean. I removed so much grime from mine! Get the unit checked, and replace the TX valve too. If it's beyond repair, pm me. I know a guy with one, it may or may not be for sale. I can only ask

Sent from my SM-G935F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This is the evaporator and fan unit. Aside from removing heaps of the centre console, and the air ducting, you undo the small nut at the top on both sides that hold on the sash clamp. Then, as pictured, undo the AC lines. There's also a few plugs for the fan switch, and hose clamps at the bottom of the drip tray and then with a bit of wriggling it should be able to come free Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G935F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    It looks like I have a good used one if you need it. It looks like you need the one in the first photo, It is the one on the right in the second photo. The one on the left is for a 400.

Chuck
    [email protected]

Attached Files:

5. D365

D365 Rookie

Feb 9, 2021
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Dennis Dordevic
    Hey
    Thank you so much for the pics - IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!
    As you can see, on my fathers car, the plastic on top of the evaporator was melted due to the fire, but the same type of plastic on the underside of the evaporator is intact and looks NEW! I don't know how I'll be able to replicate the top plastic, but one step at a time as I'm also trying to solve the fact that the car dashboard was destroyed and I'm trying to avoid allowing anyone to blackmail me because it is a Ferrari (I'm sure you understand). I'll probably end up pulling the evaporator out & sending it to what I believe may well be a radiator rebuilding shop to acid dip and clean.
    Once again, thx so much!
    Best regards from Australia
    Dennis

Attached Files:

6. D365

D365 Rookie

Feb 9, 2021
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Dennis Dordevic
    Hey Chuck
    Thanks so much for the reply and pics - it's GREATLY appreciated!!! I think the actual is fine or can be re-conditioned, the only problem that you'll see in the pics is the plastic on top of my evaporator that has been destroyed due to the fire and I'm not sure how to replace it! I'll certainly keep you in mind if I end up needing a new one.
    Best regards from Australia
    Dennis

7. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Congratulation on preserving this car. It took my brother 17 years to find our father's 365. The car had multiple owners during this period and the new colour did not make the search any easier...

I believe you could make it do without the whole plastic top, or at least fabricate a roughly equivalent box as the tolerances are loose.

See on my previous picture.
    In red : your melted part
    In orange the metallic air duct (it's part of the frame of the car)
    in green the gap between the whole unit and the dashboard vents.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

As you can see in my own car there is quite a significant gap between the metallic ducts and the plastic vents of the dashboard (green highlight). As the air ducts are not sealed, I presume that an additional gap between the evaporator and the metallic duct would not be such an issue. Any box shaped substitute would make it do. Forget about the side vents, these are useless.

8. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    This one if for the "new dashboard" as found in the 412 and 400 gen2. It's pretty clear why the air-conditioning blows better on these later cars!

D365 likes this.
  9. D365

D365 Rookie

Feb 9, 2021
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Dennis Dordevic
    Once again thank you for the detailed pics and instructions!!

10. D365

D365 Rookie

Feb 9, 2021
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Dennis Dordevic
    I think the congratulations go to you and your brother my friend!! You found your fathers 365 after 17 years, a few different owners and colours change - AMAZING!!!! I LOVE that story!