365 GT/4 17393 on ebay | Page 2 | FerrariChat

365 GT/4 17393 on ebay

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by ArtS, Aug 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    #26 Ak Jim, Jun 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
    I would have an independent mechanic/shop do a PPI first. I just got done with a two week trip with the wife and two kids, we covered about 3400 miles in the 365. It was a great trip!

You say should you buy it or wait. My question to you is what would you wait for? A different model of Ferrari or a different 365GT4 2+2. Someone can correct me but I believe there are only a hadfull of these cars in the USA so they don't come up for sale very often.

After driving for two weeks it was interesting after we got home and unloaded the car. The first drive with only one person in it and no luggage really makes you appreciate the performance. I'm not saying the performance was even a little lacking when fully loaded, just much more when close to empty!

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I dunno.... when a car ad uses a girl with big boobs, maybe it needs a boob to buy it? :)

Actually, I like that color.

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Claudio,

Why don't you fly out and have a test drive with the car? This way you may get all of your senses involved as opposed to just your eyes :) . I would also test drive a GTC4 just so that you can make your own comparisons and perhaps this will give you the conviction to either buy a GT4 or a GTC4... assuming price is not a factor.

Personally, a number of times I have regretted buying something that was a compromise of what I really wanted. However, there were other times that when I did consider something that was a compromise and really examined it, etc that it actually changed my mind from what I thought I really wanted... There is nothing like tactile feedback to help the decision process.

So, I would say go out and check of this car and a GTC4 and make an informed decision... but remember to do the PPIs to balance out the excitement.

Have fun!

Cheers,

Sam

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Talk to Brett about the brown 365 GT/4 2+2, I think he PPI'ed it a while back.

Regards,

Art S.

5. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    #30 jacques, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
    Sam is +1 on that flying out to see the car is the Only way to buy this car. Schedule the PPI for the same time. Anyone and everyone on this forum will advise you that purchasing this particular Ferrari model must be done with eyes wide open. This is Not a car for the feint of heart. The trip will be the best money that you will ever spend on this machine. When you see the car, get on the forum and get some thoughts from some of our very well informed members.. I'm quite certain that it would be their pleasure to to assist you. That is the very essence of Ferrarichat. I flew out to see my 1980 400i, and I'm much the better off for it.Hope that this is of some value to you...Jacques

6. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    hey Claudio...i just got your PM, but i'm on vacation with limited computer access.
    send me another PM with your phone number and i'll give you a call to discuss.
    you should really have 'eyes wide open' on this one... $33K is just the price of 'admission'.

brett

7. 330Guy

330Guy Karting

Jan 9, 2009
    Union City, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dana Edward Layton
    Good Lord don't even think it! If my 412 goes up to that I'll have to double the insurance, keep the market value secret from my wife and kick the old 330 to the curb! Nah, it'd be me first.

8. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    well ya, i understand what you're saying, but post #13 was from summer 2008...
    and obviously the world changed dramatically shortly thereafter...
    nevertheless, to this day, i challenge anyone to find a 'good' example for under $50K.

and trust me, anyone buying 17393 will be into for way more than that before it's 'good'.
    otherwise, it's a driver...at best...a deferred service, low compression smoker with rust...
    and what else would you expect in a soon-to-be vintage V-12 Ferrari...

what kind of GTC4 or 365 BB do you get for $33K ?
    parts are parts, labour is labour and rust is rust...

and none of those three change from model to model on an early 70's 12 cylinder Ferrari.
    it only changes from example to example...and the good ones don't go for $33K.

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Brett,

Just an FYI... The price is currently $37.5K USD as a "Buy It Now" and not $33K you mention... the $33K price was (I think) the starting Ebay price from a few years ago.

Thanks for the comments, as they say a lot!

Cheers,

Sam

10. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    This is still/back on Ebay. Did anyone here do a PPI on the car, or has anyone on F-Chat seen it in person who i could chat with? is the former owner on F-Chat?

I'm lightly serious about the car. IE, I'd love it but will need to talk the wife into a large, brown, big car.

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Lease read the entire thread, I think your questions will be answered.

12. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Thanks. Just did!

Is this car a "buy" if the vendor drops below $30K? Or, should one just walk away...

13. maxg765

maxg765 Rookie

Feb 8, 2011
    Full Name:
    Max Gruenberg
    I personally love the Marrone Metallic colour and agree that this model looks good in the off colours. I am almost starting to like the look of the more pointed (Daytona styled) front end of the 365 over the 412 due to the lack of the lower spoiler. That said I would still prefer the 412i in automatic over the 365 carb versions out of convenience since a) I am not mechanically inclined and B) my intended use would be to enjoy the occasional use and tours to italian auto gatherings with the family and kids... If your looking for pure performance then yes, there in nothing like a V12 on carbs with a manual transmission.

Max

14. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    This color combo really appeals to me it takes the antithesist of the 70s excess supercars with there excess and appendiges to the ultimate level of opposition in such a discreet fashion it is incredibly cool.

The reaction from most would just be bewilderment. That colour combo just says 'what else do you expect? dont be ridiculous racing ferrari colours, this is a way above that sort of shenanigans! Different class.

15. maxg765

maxg765 Rookie

Feb 8, 2011
    Full Name:
    Max Gruenberg
    Does anyone know if the 365 Marrone Metallic and the 412 Marrone Metallic are the same exact shades. I know they are both metallic brown but I have seen several color charts that show two different color numbers.

The 365 color code if I recall was not the # 800 but I am unsure what it was
    The 412 is MARRONE MET. FER 800/C

Are they the same if different numbers but same name?

Thanks

Max

16. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    I remeber this car when it was in Toronto and it was very tired. I think it had p4000 tires and not the xwx (first sign of cutting corners). It needed paint and interior, it wasn't rusty if my memory serves me correctly. I think its a good buy at 22k.

17. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #42 brettski, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    in this case Rock, your memory has let you down...

i'm going to briefly comment on this car one final time and hopefully that will answer most of the important questions.
    when i PPI'd the car in 2008...
    the leather interior has been spot patched several times and the mousehair on the dash and tunnel is gone and feels like cardstock.
    the paint has had various poor resprays, is full of orange peel and the car does have rust issues.
    both bumpers need refinished.
    the suspension bushings were largely split/cracked/poor and needed redone.
    the headers are thin and likely beyond saving.
    eack bank has a cylinder in 100 psi range. (draw your own conclusions, but i'll go out on a limb and say valve job, minimum.)
    i was not allowed to roadtest the car so the transmission and clutch are completely unknown to me.
    last meaningful service was 1990.

the shocks looked fresher than most other areas of the car and the center resonators and rear silencers were in decent shape.
    wheel rims and wheel chrome were in really nice shape.
    books, tool case, jack roll and spare were there.

i do not wish Moto Exotica any ill will, but they new all of this before they bought it, because they called me beforehand.
    no amount of "tuning" could address the underlying issues of the car.

having said that, i believe the car could be well bought, due to it's completeness and manufacture date, for anywhere between $25-28K.
    in the case of a California buyer, it could be worth the higher number...or more.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I've ran both xwx and P4000 tires on my 365. The xwx tires may be more correct for concours, but are suicidal in the rain. I don't see this as cutting corners at all.

19. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    If you pulled the paint away from the quarter there you would be amazed how close the fuel tank is!!!!!!! good news is this is the worst possible rust wise situation in the car and is reasonably easy to deal with, tanks need to come out of course. Its because the rear floorpan is metal and the join between it and the rear quarter panels gathers moisture certainly not insurmountable as is the corrosion in the arches bet the sills are gone too but again it can be dealt with.

20. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    thanks for the photos Brett, its worse than I thought! 22k is too much!

21. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    To each their own, I could never have those p4000 tires on my car. They just look horible to me, they may work great in the rain (I wouldn't know I don't drive my car in the rain).
    The xwx is an excellent tire in dry conditions and looks spectacular, they are extremely expensive but here in Toronto Canada they will last six to tens summer seasons.

22. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    LOL...i always get a good 'kick' out of your posts Rock.

kidding aside, please, please, PLEASE forward all leads for 365 GT4 2+2's and 400 GT's that are for sale in the abovementioned price range...i am a CASH buyer.

we make pretty 'drivers' out of them and make peoples dreams come true without having to spend a hundred or two...

if the car in question had been 'reasonably' priced 3 years ago, i could've made that happen 5 times over...easily.

we don't make any money on them...just ask Veronica (or maybe it's better if we don't)...my reward comes from working with the buyers/friends as we save them.

23. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #48 brettski, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
    yup...and you'd want to remove those markers anyway, so you've got all the reasons you need to 'go there'...

and if you end up 'into' the car for 50-60-70K when you're done, big deal...still far and away the best bang for the buck in the Colombo V-12 Ferrari world...
    scratch that, the V-12 Ferrari world period, imho...i personally prefer them to the 456 and 550.

how many times do we need to hear from multiple Ferrari owners that when they walk into their garage, they instinctively grab the keys to their 365/400/400i/412 ???

24. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Brettski, thanks for the info. My lust for this particular car is subduing...though not for a 365 GT/4 2+2 in general!

25. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    i understand...but you've likely got a long, long wait/journey in front of you...if the two Californians i speak with regularly are any kind of barometer.