365 Boxer back to black | Page 5 | FerrariChat

365 Boxer back to black

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Mar 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Someone had added an extension to the clutch lever which hug down A LOT. I could see it when the car was being unloaded from the transport truck. So regardless of what they were trying to accomplish I cut it off and felt setting the linkage up correctly would make everything okay again.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

After a little clean up then bead blasting

1.8mm feeler between clutch pressure plate and release bearing. This access hole is for this purpose only, setting the over center helper spring.

Before I adjusted it. Note stake marks on lever shaft to the far left in line with the marks I put on the lever itself at the 6 o'clock position

Now look at how far the yellow zinc spring is angled to the right. That current position really increases pedal effort which is how it was adjusted when it arrived here.

After adjustment as per the shop manual. You'll notice the stake marks have now moved on the lever in relation to the shaft at the far left.
    The lever was in the wrong position for who knows how long.

Shop manual setup diagram

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I ran into a snag, note the upper muffler mount. This was not an inexpensive system and as has always been the case for me, I need to tweak the muffler system to make it fit the car. Im surprised because its a classiche thing and yet Im not because its a ferrari. Its like the guy welding the upper mount on forgot his coke bottle glasses that day. Just look how out of alignment it is with the one at the other end. Ill re-position it carry on. I need to convince some of the other pipes to go where they need to go so that squashed my hopes of running the car today.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

George Vosburgh, 375+, ronc52 and 2 others like this.
  3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    That looks kinky with the white pipes hiding mostly behind the black pipes and muffler!
    Just out of curiosity will there be an opportunity to get the final weight for this car once it is all put back together again?

miurasv likes this.
  4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I can weigh it, I would be curious to see how it compares to a 512.

of2worlds and miurasv like this.
  5. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

The 150 lb exhaust. :)

375+ likes this.
  6. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    365 GT4/BB #18587: 3,225 lbs. including Spare Tire, Jack and Toolkit, but no fuel. Weighed on our race scales.

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Dyke: Have you weighed a 512BB as well?

of2worlds likes this.
  8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #108 miurasv, Jul 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    3225 lbs = 1463 KG which is a big difference to the 1160 KG (dry) that Ferrari claim for the 365 GT4 BB on their web site. I thought it would have been lighter.

Ferrari claim 1400 KG (dry) for the 512BB and 1499 KG (dry) for the 512BBi on their web site.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Steve: That is VERY light for that size car. A Daytona is about 300 lbs heavier. A 365 Boxer is not much heavier than a 308 GTS. I don't recall weighing a 512 BB, but my memory is that they are in the 3,400-3,500 lb range. Weight is one of the reasons the 365's are so much quicker than the 512's.

of2worlds, miurasv and 375+ like this.
  10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The zero to 60 specs I’ve read have the injected boxer coming out on top out of the 3 versions. Not talking top end but torque is king on the street and that’s thanks to the long runners and intake plenum. My ex injected boxer is a very quick car and pulls right to 7500RPM, I might’ve tweaked it though ;)

The 365 also has a higher numerical axle ratio to help move it with a smaller displacement.

The injected car would weigh the most, they have so many more components (and heavy ones at that) for the fuel system plus an extra alternator, power locks, overhead console, radio with EQ, rear parcel shelf and rear fog lights.

I weighed my injected boxer about 10 years ago and 3400-3500 is what I recall. I’ll weigh my 512 and this 365 when I start road testing.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    c4b4the04, 33guana and of2worlds like this.
  12. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

The Boxer trim looks great against the black paint!

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I agree! Send your's up, Ill make it black :)

14. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

It would look really good in black, especially with the interior Color combination. I am thoroughly enjoying the car, I think that it’s coming into its own now that it has a couple thousand miles on it!

15. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    As usual, Paul's work has set a very high standard indeed. It is refreshing to see somebody with a great deal of passion applied to his work in this day and age.
    The attention to detail is terrific and great vault of information being accumulated on BB's.
    It makes me wonder,,,,, I would love to see what he would do to a Daytona or a C4.
    So if somebody out in F/Chat land that has a car in need of a resto or a freshen up......??
    It would be another great thread to follow.

willrace, c4b4the04 and pshoejberg like this.
  16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I miss that car..

17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ran the engine today. Need to finish up the right upper muffler mount and repaint the area. Some other details like the return line from the carbs was reused just to run the engine but will be replaced. Getting it running by day's end was the goal - mission accomplished.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

TestaDDS, G. Pepper, Ludwig and 3 others like this.
  18. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Lucky to have it! I didn't realise that you knew the car!

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Tom put me onto it and once I saw it I had to have it.

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Bumpers are delayed until the beginning of the week so my road test will be a little later than I wanted (today was the plan).

Every time I work on a black boxer I consider painting mine black. Unfortunately mine is resale red originally so I'm conflicted.

The reason for the stands is its a nice working height for me and no obstacles around it (like a hoist post).

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I would never buy a black car. it looks for sure very nice and exclusive, but you see every dust on it. also I think when the sun shines it is getting more warm inside the car.

of2worlds likes this.
  22. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Didn’t realise that, learned something new about the car. So I have you to also thank Tom!

tbakowsky likes this.
  23. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

You will also have the pleasure of getting the 6 exhaust tips to center in their opening when you put the rear bumper cover on. Just a quess they aren't perfect out of the box either or is it the cars aren't perfect out of the box.;-)

Black is gorgeous on these cars, but very hard to keep clean.

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

Ill be dealing with the tips very soon. Its a very complicated system for sure.