360 vs F355 future appreciation | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 vs F355 future appreciation

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Charlie Hawkins, Apr 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Homeboz

Homeboz Karting

Jan 20, 2017
    Based on recent trends, your best investment bet is the F355 GTB (2.7). If it has to be a spider, then go with a low mileage 360. In either case red/tan. Just remember that past performance is not an indicator of future returns.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Charlie Hawkins likes this.
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'll go with red, but not tan interiors. Ferrari uses crappy leather. After a while, tan looks bad. I'd go with black.

KKSBA, Robb and Charlie Hawkins like this.
  3. Homeboz

Homeboz Karting

Jan 20, 2017
    Good follow-up. Tan or Black interior. But it won’t matter much since he’s not buying to enjoy, just as an investment and will probably just sit in a garage (So sad!) until he can maybe sell for a profit.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. Charlie Hawkins

Feb 1, 2019
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Charlie Hawkins
    I am definitely buying one of the two Ferrari's I mention to drive it and enjoy it. Appreciation (or minimal depreciation) is just a nice by-product. I have 3 other collector quality vintage era non-Fcars (07 Maserati QP, 1991 Porsche 928 GT, 1987 Saab 900 Turbo SPG), so to justify/rationalize adding a $120,000 F-car to this hobby, I need to keep my eye on appreciation vs. depreciation on anything I buy from this point forward.
    My hold time is estimated to be 10 to 20 years or I may just pass them on to my college aged kids when I die. I'm 57 years old now.
    In short, I do plan to drive this F-Car and I like both the 360 spider and F355 spider for different reasons. This is why I asked the question and I study the Ferrari Market Letter which is published every two weeks.355's have been increasing in value and 360's have been decreasing in value slowly.

Texas Forever and paulchua like this.
  5. Charlie Hawkins

Feb 1, 2019
    Laguna Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Charlie Hawkins
    I am definitely buying one of the two Ferrari's I mention to drive it and enjoy it. Appreciation (or minimal depreciation) is just a nice by-product. I have 2 other collector & Show quality vintage era non-Fcars , 1991 Porsche 928 GT, 1987 Saab 900 Turbo SPG) as well a 12 year old Maserati that is not old enough to be a collector car yet but I enjoy it enough where I will probably keep in the collection for 20 years. Now I need to justify/rationalize adding a $120,000 F-car to this hobby, I need to keep my eye on appreciation vs. depreciation on anything I buy from this point forward. Did well with 2 prior 911's (87 and 95 air cooled)
    My hold time is estimated to be 10 to 20 years or I may just pass them on to my college aged kids when I die. I'm 57 years old now.
    In short, I do plan to drive this F-Car and I like both the 360 spider and F355 spider for different reasons. This is why I asked the question. I also study the Ferrari Market Letter every two weeks. BTW, 355's have been increasing in value and 360's have been consistently decreasing in value slowly for quite some time.

6. Homeboz

Homeboz Karting

Jan 20, 2017
    Glad to hear it! As much as I would love for you to join the F355 club, if you’re going with a spider then there’s something to be said for the first all-aluminum frame in the 360. You may want to wait for the depreciation curve to hit minimum (where it now seems to be for the 355 spider). I’m not sure it matters much if you plan to hold for that long. IMHO the current market seems to be fairly soft for both models, but you seem better educated on that front. Good luck with your research and your next purchase.

7. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    If you are willing to spend $120,000 what do you think of a F430 spider? It is great car for the money, if you are willing to have one with the F1 transmission

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Soo... what car does he drive? ;) Is it.. a Prius, a Camry, an Accord or a Tesla? ;) You know that growing up in the Valley, in Lala land is different than where I grew up in the Hudson Valley in New York.

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    “07 Maserati QP, 1991 Porsche 928 GT, 1987 Saab 900 Turbo SPG”

I’m not sure I see any of these worth anything...

ever. So I hope you simply like them - kind of like we’re suggesting here.

Robb

michaelz, Shark01, daytona355 and 2 others like this.
  10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #35 paulchua, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Thanks for your continued info Charlie.

If my hand is pushed, I would go with 1995 F355. It has more power than the other years. While I acknowledge 'note' is completely subjective, to me it's the sweetest sound of all Ferrari this side of Formula 1.

It also represents the 'Evo' of the 348, whereas I can see a six-speed 430 always overshadowing the 360 6-speed. I prefer how F355 looks, though I have nothing wrong to say about the 360, and would be proud to own both.

The only downside is the engine out. Of course, the valve guides and headers need sorting as well. On the positive side, its cost is quite low and appears to be consistently cheaper (at least here stateside) then 360 6-speeds.

Best of luck to you!

daytona355 and Texas Forever like this.
  11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    They have a Mazda SUV.

vrsurgeon likes this.
  12. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    ^^^This ^^^ neither F355 or 360 (at least in the US) are guaranteed to increase in value.

My experience and from the UK. Ferraris and many other classic have increased in value from about 2012 until last year. We are seeing a slow decline in value now on medium age Ferraris (1980 - 2010 appx). F355's here demand a higher price than 360's now. I P/X my F355 for my 360 and received a cash lump sum in 2015. Anyway that is the UK not the USA.

My F355 was 1997 5.2 Motronic ignition. I was both lucky and unlucky with that car and I know people with F355's who have been luckier and not so. This probably applies to 360's too.
    Buy one with history and use a Professional Inspection.
    When I drove my 360 it felt twice as quick as my F355, I am told that might have been the 5.2 Ignition. My pal had the 2.7 and said mine felt very flat. I believe the 5.2 was to bring down emissions but do not quote me on that.

I always loved the F355 but now I own a 360 I don't ever have any intention of going back. I had a Mondial and whilst I would not go back I would love one aside my 360. Not so with the F355. To date the 360 has been cheaper overall, though I have just had a large service with belts and front suspension replacement plus a few other things. £4600, that's probably cheap compared to the US? My F355 was 23k miles car my 360 was 37k. The more 'used' car has generally felt better and cost me less however it is also 4 years younger and a newer design.

Ultimately it does not matter what I think (though it would be a 2.7 F355 or a 360) buy the car you like best. My daughter prefers the looks of my 360 but she was about 8/9 when it came out and only 2/3 when the F355 came out. I find the age often determines the preference.

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    They're not. I bought my 79' 928 in 1997 for $5800 with the conviction that being technically rarer than the 356, it would be a collectable. It's not. I sold it in 2015 for $2000. It's NOT an iconic Porsche 911. Very expensive car to maintain unless you have a lift and serious mechanical expertise. I remember seeing the GT's at $19k and thinking "WOW". They're still in the $20's. The only ones that might be collectable are the manual GTS's. And even then..

paulchua likes this.
  14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Nearly the same power and weight, performance is very similar.

Only real performance benefit to the 360 is variable cam timing which fattens up the low/mid range torque but that wouldn't influence max acceleration.

15. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    That strikes me very strange. I'm 34 and I've always blamed the late acquisition of a Drivers License by todays youth as a fault of having instant access with each other. When I grew up, cell phones weren't mainstream, internet was just figuring out what it was, and we all played outside. Born in '84 I had Ferrari Testarossa and F40 posters on my wall growing up. Day one of 16 years old I was in line at the DMV waiting to get my license and had been working a job at 14 (lied about age) just so I could save up for my first car. We didn't have cell phones or texting, the car WAS the means of communication with others. It seems todays youth doesn't care about diving because they THINK they achieved freedom with instant access, they never yearn to break free from the cage. It's sad really. On top of this, close friends of mine who grew up the same way I did now use their personal cell phone to shut up their children while we're out. The digital pacifier at it's worst. Like everything in life, todays bland Millennials are a product of learned behaviors from their environment. The kids you see at C&C yearning to own a manual car are a rare breed indeed.

paulchua and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    SIL went from getting rides from buddies at Palo Alto High to Stanford to Stanford Law to NYC and back to Palo Alto. He finally got a license because he married my daughter who brought a Mazda SUV. Back in his high school days, all he and his buds carried about was computers, baseball and girls. Didn't have any interest or need for a car.

17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Official Ferrari Fiorano lap times:

Ferrari F40 1.29.60
    Ferrari 360 Modena 1.31.00
    Ferrari 550 Maranello 1.32.528
    Ferrari 348 Challenge 1.33.00
    Ferrari F355 F1 (1997) 1.33.00
    Ferrari F355 (1994) 1.34.00
    Ferrari F512M (1995) 1.35.00

The 355 is two full seconds slower, even with the F1 transmission. That is a huge gap so not even close.

For a comparison, the qualifying times at the last F1 race had the top 15 cars within a second.

18. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    Autonomous vehicles will eventually be universally accepted in the future for the simple reason that it gives everyone a chance to mess around on their phones while traveling. That may still be a ways off from now, but, it's a reality for the upcoming generations. It will be interesting to see how sports cars, exotics, collector cars of today are viewed/valued 20-50+ years from now. My guess is most will eventually become ornaments or track day toys. And, that's not even considering possible government regulations as technology advances. With the proliferation of autonomous driving, electric vehicles, and ride sharing, it's not unreasonable to think that personal home garages will become a thing of the past, in lieu of more living space.

Texas Forever and paulchua like this.
  19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Cars are the biggest PIA in residential home design and development. Costs would come down by a significant percentage if we didn't have to deal with cars.

20. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    All great points. I'm glad to be alive now and not later, **** all that.

21. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    The track changed since 94 F355 and 360 Modena. I see Modena as 1.31.5

"in 1996 a new renovated track was introduced (a fast bend to replace a sharp corner at the end of the pit straight) which shortened the total length by 24 metres (0.02 miles)"

Almost same power and weight. The 2 cars on the same track, same day, same tires it would be a drivers race.

DrewH and Mmckee like this.
  22. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I did not know the track had changed, thanks. I still say it would be no contest. The 360 would break away at the start, and never look back.

23. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    My point is, with the same weight,gearing and barely more power the 360 has no huge advantage in acceleration.

My F355 stock with a muffler and high flow cats made 327rwhp and ran 12.6@114 in the 1/4. I've seen many 360's with exhaust dyno the same.

Not saying the 360 isn't faster at all stock for stock but it would be by a slim margin. Not a big gap as compared to 348 to 355 or from 360 to 430.

DrewH and G. Pepper like this.
  24. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    That's all fine and very logical, but the 360 was a chassis revolution, being the first mid V8 with the aluminum tub and subframe. I had the last V12 that was built on a welded steel frame. It was an awesome car, but the 360 is just lightyears ahead of it in terms of rigidity and... everything else, really. Note the 360 is faster than the 550. Not in that cut-and-paste, but the 612 is the first V12 with the aluminum tub and subframe, and it's official lap is faster than the 360. A 2+2!

25. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Neither will the Dino "Not a real Ferrari with that V-6"
    Neither will the 512 TR "With those dated side strakes" o_O